IGNORED

So, I want to build a practice green.

Note: This thread is 4449 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I had done my own research a few years back and found the same concerns and issues as you posted which is why I made the suggestion of artificial turf.  I have no idea what laws exist in Canada but I decided that natural turf was not a realistic option for myself in NY

Originally Posted by WUTiger

I live on Illinois side of St. L area. I talked to a turf expert about me building a golf green in my back yard. Aside from the turf hassle of building a multi-layer green, and buying a rotary mower, there's the chemicals needed for weed and pest control.

He said Illinois required licensing to handle such chems. Not sure what the rules are in Canada. If you actually do some farming, however, you may already have the OK.

He suggested setting up an artificial green with high grade layering and drainage underneath.

OP... If you're considering multiple greens, do some digging into historical golf course architecture. In early 1900s, a couple of design firms were pushing limited-space 9-hole courses which only required three greens. I saw a vintage brochure in an antique store (sorry, can't remember where).

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Lets get ambitious here. I have thought of this before, If I had a big enough amount of land (and money!) I would build the best ever backyard practice course. You could do it a bunch of ways, but you would want a rectangle with the diagonal of that rectangle long enough for your par 5 and then wide enough for a par 3 or par 4. Obviously that is a ton of land, but clearly not as much as a whole course.

Then you would put a green in each corner of your rectangle, and 1 or 2 greens somewhere in the middle of the rectangle. Each green would have a teebox paired with it, somewhere that it is as out of the way as possible from the other "holes". Then you obviously have to add obstacles like sand traps and trees and probably water too.

If you could fit 6 holes inside of this rectangle, one on each corner and 2 randomly somewhere in the middle you would have the possibility to play 30 different holes! all of differing lengths and difficulties!!! Holy shit that would be awesome.

Can dream right?

:whistle:

jan25-tw-design10_600x500_0.jpg

Have you guys ever seen Tiger's home practice facility?  Would be great to have something like this.  Maybe you can use some of his ideas...

Good luck and be sure to share!

There are no problems with having pesticides for home lawn care in Canada, and since I do have farmers in my immediate family, I can easily get what I need.

I decided to go 20 (yards)x30 on one side of the yard, and 19x15 on the south side. I am building the smaller green first, and actually started the work on it two days ago. I got tons of advice and material from the greens keeper at my course, and decided to go with a layer of crush rock, covered by sand (4-6 inches), then top soil and and seed.

Getting a greens mower was easier than I expected, it was 400$, but doesnt have a roller, which is fine, because my father owns a a sand filled roller that hasn't been used in years. I know the green wont be usable before next year, but I will photograph and write about the process as I go.

Once the greens are done, i'lkl do some bunkering and landscaping. I'll have a nice practice facility when im done, which is all I want.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Originally Posted by newtogolf

I had done my own research a few years back and found the same concerns and issues as you posted which is why I made the suggestion of artificial turf.  I have no idea what laws exist in Canada but I decided that natural turf was not a realistic option for myself in NY

I'd love to see your set up!  I was looking at actionsports.com and it looks like you can get a 12x16 artificial green for under $2k.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Note: This thread is 4449 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!