IGNORED

Johnny Miller Master Thread

wengerlaw
Note: This thread is 3245 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Thoughts on Johnny Miller (as an announcer)

• Johnny's one of the best announcers in the game
    • Ehh... he's OK
    • I hope Johnny and his nasally voice go away... forever

I'm usually pretty quick to bash Johnny Miller but in all honesty I don't think he was that bad. Actually, I'm very impressed with the homework and course knowledge he brings to the booth. He may be the best when it comes to actual information. Problem is he does come across as well, boring and arrogant. He's gotten a little better in recent days but still gives that impression. I guess he just rubs people the wrong way. In a sport that many feel is boring already the last thing we need is a boring announcer and we long for the entertainment, and quirky, almost screwball delivery of Nick Faldo. I will agree that the CBS crew is far superior, basically because they are more entertaining. But I don't think Johnny Miller is NBC's problem, although he does ask his fellow commentators too many questions. I understand we want information but he seems to put them on the spot a lot. Where I really think CBS crushes NBC is the on course commentary. The group of Feherty, Oosterhuis, McCord and Baker-Finch are fabulous, although if an Australian is contending they need to pull the reigns on Baker-Finch. They deliver their commentary in a knowledgeable, entertaining, flat out fun way. When a call needs to be made they are always right there. And if they don't know an answer to something, say how a putt breaks, Feherty will say that but in a funny fashion. Too many times I felt the NBC people didn't really know what was going on out there and tried to mask it. And yeah, Roger Maltby struggled.

As far as ESPN, I didn't get to watch a ton of their coverage but generally enjoy watching it on their network. I watched a little Thursday morning and some Friday afternoon. Maybe it's okay because less is expected of them. I will say that Chris Berman is one of the most over-rated announcers in all of sports.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

I'm usually pretty quick to bash Johnny Miller but in all honesty I don't think he was that bad. Actually, I'm very impressed with the homework and course knowledge he brings to the booth. He may be the best when it comes to actual information. Problem is he does come across as well, boring and arrogant.

Just for the record, I agree that Miller knows his stuff, its just the way he presents things in an overly-critical and negative manner that makes me mad. He acts as if he never made a mistake on the golf course. I'd equate Miller's commentary to Joe Theismann for the NFL. Theismann was no doubt a great player and knows the game, but the constant negativity and nitpicking wears on me.

Driver: Launcher, 10.5°
Fairway: Big Bertha 2007, 15° & 18°
Hybrid: Rapture, 21° & 24°
Irons: Big Bertha 2006, 5 - PW
Wedges: Vokey, 52° & 56°Putter: White Hot XG, Rossie Ball: HX HotI'm not saying my golf game went bad, but if I grew tomatoes, they'd come up sliced. ~ Lee Trevino

Just for the record, I agree that Miller knows his stuff, its just the way he presents things in an overly-critical and negative manner that makes me mad. He acts as if he never made a mistake on the golf course. I'd equate Miller's commentary to Joe Theismann for the NFL. Theismann was no doubt a great player and knows the game, but the constant negativity and nitpicking wears on me.

I agree, but I still hate him. Give me Faldo and Curtis Strange... They know their stuff and are entertaining in a non obtrusive way...

In My Bag:
Driver: Fusion FT-3 Tour 9.5°, Aldila NV 65 Stiff
3-Wood: PT 906F2, 15°, Aldila NV 75 Stiff
5-Wood: Big Bertha 19°, RCH Firm
Irons: 755, DG S300Wedges: Vokey Design 200 Series 50.08, Spin Milled 54.14, 58.08Putter: Red X2 or Tour Blue TT2Ball: TP Black or Pro V1xHome Courses:...

• 2 months later...
What is your take on Johnny Miller? Do you love his announcing style, hate it, or are indifferent?

Personally, I think Miller is the best announcer in the game. Yes, he can get overcritical, and he mentions his 63 at Oakmost way too many times; but, his blunt, honest assessments of professional golfers are quite informative. His analysis of a golfer's mental game is especially strong - Miller details the pressure and thoughts of the golfer, and does not shy away from labeling him a choker. I much prefer his hypercritical style to the whispery, oh-my-it's-a-lovely-shot of other announcers.

Please explain WHY you love or hate Johnny Miller; don't just state your opinion - back it up.

What's in my bag:

Driver: R7 CGB Max, regular shaft
4-wood and 7-wood: :: Launcher, regular shafts
4-iron to A-wedge: X-20, regular steel shafts56- and 60-degree wedge: forged, stiff steel shafts, vintage finish, MD groovesPutter: Circa '62, No. 7, steel shaft, 35"Ball: NXT Tour or ProV1(x)...

I flat-out don't like him - he thinks he's god's gift to golf.

He had a good solid career, but by no means amazing....

WITB: Driver: Titleist 910 D2 10.5 R / 5 Wood: r7 ti / Irons: Ping G15 Steel R (3-P, U), / Wedges: Vokey SM4 56/11 SM4 60/07 / Putter: Scotty GoLo 33" / Ball: Titleist Velocity / Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 4.0 / GPS: SG3

I personally don't mind him. He's honest, and I think we need a little more of that, and less of this political-correctness you get from the other announcers.

I can tell you one person who doesn't like him, and that's Dottie Pepper who co-hosts with him for NBC. Back in 2004, I played in a Pro-Am with Dottie. She was getting ready to retire and was heading to her first year in the booth.

We were waiting on one of the tees, and one of the guys in our group starts asking her about her move to the booth. Somehow Miller's name comes up and she literally says "I can't stand that *******".

I always get a chuckle whenever I see the two sitting next to each other in the booth playing nice, knowing that at least she can't stand him. I don't know if the feeling is mutual or not.
"The only thing in my bag that works is the bug spray."

In My Bag:
Big Bertha 454 Titanium (10º)
Big Bertha Fairway Woods Ping G2 HL (Black Dot) Ping M/B (56º & 52º) Mizuno MP-R Series (60º) Odyssey Black Series i #7

I seem to tune him out pretty good because I didn't notice him until all the hoopla about him. Now that I notice him, I can care less of him. I think he tries too hard to be real, which he's just an over critical jack @$$. It seems to be an act to create publicity for himself.
He needs to be real to himself..

This topic seems to come up every so often. I'm not really a Johnny Miller fan. I think he can be very annoying and full of himself. Even before Oakmont I was sick of hearing about his 63... then they mentioned it 200 times during the US Open. However, I'm very impressed with the homework and course knowledge he brings to the booth. He may be the best when it comes to actual information. This was very clear at Oakmont but most times he really does know what he is talking about. Problem is he also comes across as arrogant, not to mention really boring at times. It's like sitting in a classroom... we love learning Johnny but let's have some fun! He's gotten a little better in recent days but still kind of rubs people the wrong way. In a sport that many feel is boring already the last thing we need is a boring announcer. Usually, by the second day of a Johnny Miller announced tournament I miss the entertainment, quirky, almost screwball delivery of Nick Faldo and company. I said this in an older thread but I don't think Johnny Miller is NBC's problem, although he does ask his on course commentators too many questions. I understand we want information but he seems to put them on the spot a lot. Where I really think CBS crushes NBC is the on course commentary. The group of Feherty, Oosterhuis, McCord and Baker-Finch are fabulous, although if an Australian is contending they need to pull the reigns on Baker-Finch a bit. They deliver their commentary in a knowledgeable, entertaining, flat out fun way. Perhaps if Johnny's fellow commentators had a bit more spunk I'd appreciate his dry but very informative delivery a bit more.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

What is your take on Johnny Miller? Do you love his announcing style, hate it, or are indifferent?

Hate it. It's not just against Johnny Miller, though. If I had it my way I'd watch every sports game with no commentary whatsoever. If I care enough about something to watch a game on TV, odds are I've looked up my information somewhere and dont need to hear it again...and again and again.

"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

Miller is way too high on himself. He tries way too hard to "make waves" with his comments. His commentary is very artificial and contrived. His column in Golf Digest is terribly uppity. I do wish he would go away. CBS crushes NBC with their coverage. Feherty is the best. I really liked Lanny Watkins. I thought his commentary was very knowledgeable and straightforward. Not over the top and not inane like some others.

• 6 months later...
Who's with me, lets get johnny miller off the air. I'm sick of his babble, even tiger dissed him on his crap analysis. Johnny was saying the swing vision shot was better and he wasn't finishing around with his arms. Tiger said he was just hitting a cut and a draw would look very different. Dumb Johnny had nothing to say.

What's In The Bag
Driver: TM Burner stiff
3i Cleveland Hibore Hybrid
3-6: MX-23
7-PW: MP-60 Project X 5.5SW: Golden Bear hybridLW/GW Cleveland 60* and Tour Edge 50*Putter: two bar rifle malletBall: NXT TourHome Course: Raintree CC 70.7/126 North 71/130 Southhttp://stink.net

Who's with me, lets get johnny miller off the air. I'm sick of his babble, even tiger dissed him on his crap analysis. Johnny was saying the swing vision shot was better and he wasn't finishing around with his arms. Tiger said he was just hitting a cut and a draw would look very different. Dumb Johnny had nothing to say.

Johnny Miller is a good commentator, and one of the only commentators willing to criticize a pro's technique, much like Nick Faldo.

Would like to see footage of this incident though?

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

I don't have a tape, it was right after the event where Johnny and Jim were trying to see how far up Tiger's ass they could get.

What's In The Bag
7-PW: MP-60 Project X 5.5SW: Golden Bear hybridLW/GW Cleveland 60* and Tour Edge 50*Putter: two bar rifle malletBall: NXT TourHome Course: Raintree CC 70.7/126 North 71/130 Southhttp://stink.net

At least give the name of the event, green

Clubs in my Army-issued duffel-bag...

DTR Irons : 2-9
DCI Wedges : PW 48* & SW 56*
Driver : Mid-Size TP System2 9.5* Metalwood (5) 23*

Accenture Match Play Championship

What's In The Bag

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache...ient=firefox-a

I'm not the only one who noticed it, read the above article, though they don't reference the specific swing comment.

What's In The Bag

ok so he messes up a few times. big deal. he is much better than that homo jm nantz and all the yahoos that have no clue about golf and are just talking heads. i love when golf is on NBC and miller is commentating.

Nike SQ 9.5 w/ ProLaunch Red
Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons
Mizuno MP 51 & 56Yes! Tracy IINike One Black

I agree. Johnny Miller stinks. Total know it all. Faldo, Feherty and McCord are the best. Nantz needs to go as well. I turn the volume off when I know Nantz is talking. Too many cheesy segways.
In my Vantage bag:
Driver::905R 8.5*(V2)
3 Wood:Launcher 13*(V2)
Irons:AP2 (Project X 5.5) (3-W)
HybridTWS 19*Gap wedge:CG15 50* Sand wedge:CG15 56*Putter:: XG9 (35")Ball:ProV1X

Note: This thread is 3245 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!