IGNORED

My Swing (ygmondoux)

ygmondoux
Note: This thread is 1707 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Here is my latest Driver Swing, I'm trying to setup the hands higher to replicate my impact position. 

This drive was flushed right in the middle of the club face at 120mph 177mph ball speed but 3700rpm of backspin is way to much to get very good yardage. I think the only way to get my spin down is changing driver. 

• 2 weeks later...

The season is over. Played too few games: only 16, started my season end of July, still managed to get down to a handicap index of 2. (My best in 7 years)

What I discovered this season:

- I make a better turn when my feet are close together, same distance and I don't see any drawbacks, so I'll keep it this way.

- I've been playing with ill fitted clubs all my life, I now have 4* Upright clubs, but I haven't played them on the course this year... to be continued. 

- Golf is a mind game: Visualization is the key, I need to figure out the lie, see the flight, see the line, imagine the roll, take a landing spot and hit the shot.

What I would like to improve this off-season.

- Tempo! It felt inconsistent, I feel that when I try to had power to a shot anytime in a round I get out of sync for the next few shots, so I'll try to work on building club head speed with a smooth swing. 

So I'll take it easy this winter, maybe a little simulator rounds once every 2 weeks just to keep the basics right, I don't want to work on my swing without being 100% sure of the ball flight it produces. 

Too all of you living up north! Have a good off-season! 

• 4 weeks later...

I've been swinging those 4* up irons since October and I'm really getting used to it. The setup is still unnatural for me, but when I'm swinging it's feels OK and my distances are back.

It's the first time in a month I take a video DTL swinging these clubs and the result is impressive, far less hunched over the ball, my hands and arms are away from my body, before it was Furyk close... but what is the most interesting is how much my swing naturally became a simple looking single plane swing and I really like that my hands are returning at impact exactly how it was at address. 

Here is the video fo my 5 iron swing. Normal Speed, Stats and Slow mo after. 

• 4 months later...

Here is my swing after a winter layoff. 7 iron in hand.

Played my first round today: 80 in wet and cold condition. First 8 holes +8, Last 10 even par I only made 2 up and down, my chipping is killing me.

Driving: 7.5/10

125 + : 8/10

125 - : 2/10

Putting : 5 

• 2 weeks later...

This year started very good. My last 4 rounds are 75-72-76-70 in cold and windy conditions, something I always struggled with.

My miss is 90% of the time on the good side (working hard on my management skill) I have only lost 1 stroke with my driver to date. (A near perfect shot that just caught the edge of a water hazard. 

Iron play is very good, I'm striking it pure and simple, thanks to adjusted lie my setup is more upright and relaxed and it makes the swing so simple. 

Chipping and putting is getting there but still too many 3 putts (mostly in the 15-20 feet range where I get too aggressive for the birdie putt) and a low percentage scrambling at 45%. 

The only downside right now is my mental game, I've been twice in the situation of being low early in the round -2 and -3 at the 6th and 7th hole, but never got to make the first 9 under par. I already see myself carding a 33 or 32 and both times I blew it.

Anyone have a tip on how to stay in the present?

Here is my down the line swing with my 4* upright club and ajusted posture. 

Hitting my 7 iron too 170-175 yards. 

One last down the line with driver in play. I'm mentally struggling to align a draw swing. Now I see why, I'm a tad open and wanted to swing inside out, never happened. I've hit this one straight about 280ish. 

It is slight, but it looks like you go from flat at A3 to steep at A5. You also start to stand up too soon in the swing. At impact your head is further away from the ball than it was at A4

I would work on shortening the swing, which will help you keep the clubhead from getting in a position it wants to reroute to a steeper position. Then I would work on keeping in your axis tilt at impact. This will help you extend your hands away from you better and shift the path outward. Right now you have an outside to in swing path. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

40 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

It is slight, but it looks like you go from flat at A3 to steep at A5. You also start to stand up too soon in the swing. At impact your head is further away from the ball than it was at A4

I would work on shortening the swing, which will help you keep the clubhead from getting in a position it wants to reroute to a steeper position. Then I would work on keeping in your axis tilt at impact. This will help you extend your hands away from you better and shift the path outward. Right now you have an outside to in swing path. 

Thank you for your feedback @saevel25 

I agree with everything you say. I do feel the the flat position at A3 is due to a late wrist cock.  I've always stood up too soon and moved the head away ( a bit like Geoff Ogilvy ) I would really like to correct that swing flaw, but I don't know where too start, any drills ?I'd really like to correct that.

Has for my swing length I just like to swing long when I need few extra mph, and it's past parallel on a normal swing, but too me it's nothing to mind of as I feel it keeps my swing free and supple.

I have a bit of an outside in swing path but not even a degree, because I used to draw the ball with a 3 or 4 degrees inside out and I can't draw my new driver more than 10 yards or I'm under spin. 

9 hours ago, ygmondoux said:

I would really like to correct that swing flaw, but I don't know where too start, any drills ?I'd really like to correct that.

I would take the club to the top of the swing slowly, pause there. Then, which every works best for you, turn your left hip up and back, or drive your right hip (right side) down towards the ball more.

Though there could be other feels that work for you. I would do things very slowly, and focus on feeling more over the ball. You can do this with a mirror.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thx @saevel25 I'll go it a try today. 

But there's something I was wondering about in the axis tilt. If from dtl I have a 20* spine tilt and from face-on I have 10* spine tilt at address. Wouldn't it be normal that from DTL at impact I would be at 10* if I'm now 20* tilted on face on view. I don't know if I make sense. 

Looking at it I don't look like I'm standing up too soon, but only transferring my spine tilt from the X plane to the Z plane while from a Y plane I don't move much. Maybe my understanding is wrong. 

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Lost all my youtube videos :( Had only one on my computer, fortunately it's the swing that shows best what I am trying to accomplish. 

1. Hands high at setup standing up taller 

2. Backswing along the line created by the shaft of the club

3. Hands coming back at impact exactly like they were at setup

4. Follow trough along the line created by the shaft (Setup/impact)

5. Back foot stays flat way after impact. 

It's really what would be considered a one plane swing, mixed up with what Dechambeau/Moe Norman is doing but on a 6'5" frame.

I think it the most simple swing someone can make. 

Edited by ygmondoux

• 2 months later...

Here is this year early swing, I'm really trying to be less of a sweeper of the ball and hit down on it. Since playing in simulators this winter I now know my launch angles throughout the set are at least 3 degrees to high compared to PGA pro's numbers.

Here's a swing taken without a ball, this swing is my goal swing this year. I want to do the exact same thing on the ball... to do so I need my swing to be tension less and relaxed it's the only way I can hit those positions. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm almost there, it's looking better I just want my hand a tad higher at the top of the swing... But otherwise it's looking good and the trajectory is flatter and straighter.

Note: This thread is 1707 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!