IGNORED

Etiquette question - girlfriend watching from cart

TJBam
Note: This thread is 3853 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I guess I will simultaneously agree and disagree with all points.

Certainly something to be said for getting away and doing your own thing but at the same time, having been married 15+ years with 3 kids, having 4 hours together to just talk and hang out is kind of fun now and then. We do it about once or twice a year. I always suggest we sneak off into the woods and look for my balls but I have yet to get that one to fly. Throw in a couple of "shaft" and "hole in one" jokes and you're set.

Oh and its not rude at all. If someone has a issue with it you can impress her by kicking their ass. Either that or showing her how fast you can drive a cart :)

My wife has joined me on the course. She doesn't play though. She'll usually come along when I'm playing with friends' whose wives play. She likes to drive the cart too.

I'm having trouble seeing any logic in Shorty's statements about getting new women because he thinks that a woman who likes to be around you and share in your pastime is strange.

I say say if your girlfriend/wife wants to be with you and share your life, it's all good!

"Golf is a day spent in a round of strenuous idleness."
William Wordsworth

Gear:
Callaway FT-S Driver Nike VR Blades/wedges TM Ghøst Putter.

Originally Posted by iacas

Good gosh, what kinds of relationships do you guys have?

I'll go out at 6:30 to hit some balls and play a few holes and my wife will come along sometimes. She'll read, she'll play on her phone, whatever. Same stuff she'd be doing at home, but she gets to be outside and we get to chat too. I'll never be in a rush so I won't try to play through any groups, so rather than stand there for five minutes, we'll talk.

Marriage is about making time for each other and that's one of the ways we'll sometimes do it. She gets to be outside, reading, and I get a little practice in.

Does she come along when I'm playing a round with three other guys? No. But that's not what we're talking about here.

Can your wife maybe talk to my wife? LOL. My wife hates the word golf, but she sees how much it costs, how much time it takes, etc.

She usually jokes about it though and does not care if I go, she just has no desire to watch it or hear about it. Even though when I leave I get the "Okay sweetheart, I love you - have fun!". When I come back home, or if she has to call me mid-round, she'll ask "How are you doing out there?" but I know she's on her iPad or at a store and only asking to be the awesome wife that she is - but it doesn't matter to her I'm sure.

I'd love to go out solo and have her tag along when I can't find anyone as addicted and dedicated as myself to play a round with me. I just know that after 3 holes, she'd go "how much longer? I'm bored..." lol

If I was playing a course that allowed non-playing walkers or golfers and a playing partner brought a girlfriend,  I'd try to grin and bear it. I don't play them very often.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by iacas

Good gosh, what kinds of relationships do you guys have?

I'll go out at 6:30 to hit some balls and play a few holes and my wife will come along sometimes. She'll read, she'll play on her phone, whatever. Same stuff she'd be doing at home, but she gets to be outside and we get to chat too. I'll never be in a rush so I won't try to play through any groups, so rather than stand there for five minutes, we'll talk.

Marriage is about making time for each other and that's one of the ways we'll sometimes do it. She gets to be outside, reading, and I get a little practice in.

Does she come along when I'm playing a round with three other guys? No. But that's not what we're talking about here.

I totally agree, I enjoy spending time with my wife and she the same. My wife wanted to go ride on my birthday 2 weeks ago. We actually had some great conversations while explaining the game golf. Since there wasn't anyone else with us or no one behind us I let her putt on few a holes, try a bunker shot, and hit a few tee shots. Needless to say when we got home she talked to me about trying to play. A week later I got her a set of used ladies Taylor Made HT Burner irons, and Adams fairway woods.

I will still play with my golf buddies, but will also take her to play. So its a win/win for me!

Now if I can just get her in the sundress while we play, I will be a very happy man! LOL!

Phillip

Here's a suggestion guys and it worked out really well in my marriage.

I taught my wife to play tennis.

She joined up with a another bunch of females and they had their regular outings just like the golf buddies.  Same deal.

Every once in awhile she would come out for a round of golf and I would play a set with her at tennis (She was good at tennis.  I wasn't in shape)

Every relationship is different.

God invented work so man and woman would be separated at least 8 hours and he invented golf for the weekends.

Maybe private clubs are different, but a 'rider' isn't always allowed on many of the course I play. At least not for free- mostly for insurance purposes. Some have a 'rider fee', or just don't allow non-golfers on the course at all.

A lot of courses have spectator fees for this type of thing. You can bring someone along, pay for their spot on the course, and not have to worry about whether it's OK; the course said it's OK and sanctioned their presence. If the course doesn't have spectator fees, they probably have some policy on the practice that they're willing to share with you.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Funny you should mention this I went to the course last week as a single and got paired with a golfer and his wife, he seemed troubled that they werent going out a long, I was given my own cart so she didnt have to ride on the back like a garbage man, another good thought, anyway they kept pretty much to themselves and she like to laugh if one of us hit a bad shot so yes it can be rude depending on the couple and they only played 9 holes.............yes thank you......................

• 1 year later...

MEFree thanks for bumping this I have to add a funny anecdote:

So me and buddy got paired up with a twosome, a dad and son.  The mom was also along for the ride.  However she did not ride in the cart obviously as there was no room to sit comfortably.  She was in jogging apparel and jogged after the carts "Getting her exercise."  She loved to help out and was so nice the entire time.  I didn't rake a bunker, pull a flag, or set down a club all day.  This would be a case of having a significant other being very welcome to my round.  What a day!!

I take my wife, 5 year sol, and 14 month old out to our local par 3 all the time.  My son and I play and she watches most of the time.  We have a great time as a family out on the course :)

Jeff

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3853 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!