IGNORED

prescription sunglasses

Note: This thread is 4097 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey guys. i wear glasses normally during the day and for any tounds i play. i was wondering if there was any sunglasses i could get in prescription for golf. i would like it to be under 150 or so. thanks

My clubs-

Driver- Cleveland XL270 

3 wood- Cleveland XL270 HL 3 wood

hybrid and irons-Cleveland Mashie 3 hybrid 

Adams a4r 4 hybrid-gw

wedges- a4r pw, gw, snakeyes 

Callaway x-series jaws 56 Degree, 60 Degree

putter- Oddessey metal-x 

Just go wear you got your glasses from. You can even get wrap around lenses now in prescription glasses. Mine cost a little more than $150, but I got all the upgrades lens wise.

If your normal glasses have the option you can sometimes get the clip over shad lenses that just turn them into sunglasses.

I also had a pair of Oakley's that were not prescription that i sent back to Oakley to have fitted with new lenses. It changed the outer tint a little from Blue to a bit of a purple, but otherwise worked out great.

anyone (besides Kenny Perry or Trevor immelman) actually tried Transitions lenses for golf?  I wear glasses, but hated clipon or wear-over sunglasses with them.

Driver: Cleveland Classic 270, 10.5*
Fairway Woods: Adams Speedline LP (3 & 5)
Hybrids: Wilson Staff Fybrids 21*, 24*, UST V2 stiff
Irons: Callaway X-20 Tour, 5-PW, Rifle Project-X (flighted) 6.0
Wedges: Cleveland CG15 DSG 52* & 58* +/- 56* Niblick

Putter: Yes! Amy

Originally Posted by drglew

anyone (besides Kenny Perry or Trevor immelman) actually tried Transitions lenses for golf?  I wear glasses, but hated clipon or wear-over sunglasses with them.

My dad wears them. No complaints.

2013 Goal:

Single digit handicap

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey guys, I'm an Optometrist and just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

Your options for sun correction are as follows:

1. Prescription sunglasses -  (Expensive, especially if you wear progressives and want polarized lenses <- highly recommended).   There are also limited options depending on your prescription, i.e. if you are very near sighted, the wrap around style can be out of the question due to a large edge thickness to the lenses.

2. Photochromic (Transitions) lenses - A few years ago Transitions came out with a model called Transitions Extra Active which I use and love.  This model gets a little darker than the normal transitions lenses, and retains a very slight tint indoors (it will also slightly tint while driving, which the normal transition lenses will not).  A new model was just released called the Transitions Vantage which not only tints outdoors but becomes POLARIZED as well (alien technology if you ask me....).  I haven't tried those yet, and we've only had a few patients order them...none are golfers to my knowledge.

3. Contact lenses with sunglasses on top - I use this option most of the time.  Contact lenses have improved dramatically over the past 10 years, they are much more comfortable and can be fit with virtually any prescription.  The nice thing about this option is that you can wear any sunglasses you like, single vision, polarized, Oakley's, Ray-bans, Persol's, Costa del Mar's (all good brands) etc.  If you are over 40 and are having difficulty reading, you can get Maui Jims that have a built in bifocal segment on the bottom.

4. Refractive surgery (i.e. Lasik, PRK, ICL, Cataract or Clear lens extraction surgery) with any sunglasses on top.

Hopefully that gives a little additional info to help you out.

• Upvote 1

Thanks rynosnot for the information.  I have Oakley M-Frames with a prescription lens, which I love.  I also have Transitions, which are good too, but I had not heard of the other types of Transitions.  I will ask my Optometrist about them. One issue I have with Transitions, is they stay dark even on cloudy days.  Sometimes you want to have no tint.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Breadman

I normally wear trifocals, but had them make me a pair of sunglasses in bifocal but with almost all single vision. just enough bi to read scorecard....Love them

I wear trifocals in both my regular glasses and sun glasses.  The sun glasses are an older prescription and it turns out that the trifocal lens is just right to focus clearly on the ball at address.  The reason I like it is that it helps me keep focussed on the ball during my backswing; if I allow my head to turn too much, the ball slips out of the trifocal area.  I have trained myself to keep the ball in focus through the trifocal lense and it helps me keep my head more still than otherwise.  May be kind of quirky, but it works for me.  And the bifocal lense lets me read the scorecard as the poster above does.

John Hanley
Sugar Land, TX
Driver: Pinemeadow ZR-1 460cc 10.5 degree; senior flex graphite shaft;
6-PW: ProStaff Oversize; graphite (about 13 years old);
Adams Tight Lies fairway woods.

Cleveland CG14 56° sand wedge

Zebra 395gm Mallet putter

A great thread.

I have prescription sunglasses and I've always been afraid to use them on the course, worried that my depth perception would be greatly effected.    Has anybody experienced depth perception issues with sun glasses?

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm pretty nearsighted, like a 4.5 in contacts, but dry eyes make contacts pretty uncomfortable for me.  I've tried multiple prescription sunglasses, and haven't had much success with wraparound sport frames.  The result is usually a very narrow area of clarity in the center of the lens, with lots of blurriness on the periphery. I've had more success using a chunky plastic frame (nerd style) intended for regular lenses, and just put tinted lenses in.

If price were no object, I've lusted after trying these for years:

http://www.sportsoptical.com/prescription_sunglasses.htm

They are the equivalent of a custom Scotty Cameron studio putter, at least among cycling geeks...

I have the older style transitions. (No tint when driving.) They are just OK for golf. My tint color is Gray. Great color to knock out the Sun, bad color to see a golf ball in flight. Also not the best color for reading greens.

I have been thinking about trying contacts with a pair of the golf specific sunglasses.  Seems like the best bang for the buck.

as $ allows

Note: This thread is 4097 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!