IGNORED

Streamsong Resort

Note: This thread is 2258 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Tom Doak's Blue Course at Streamsong Resort is exceptional.  From the first tee to the final putt, the golfer is challenged to think his way around the golf course as the direct line is rarely the ideal play.  The Coore & Crenshaw Red Course is routed through larger dunes and more prevalent water hazards, perhaps making it a slightly more complicated site, but it is Doak's routing that is the more comfortable one.    Doak's routing is near flawless with very short green to tee walks, constant changes in direction, and an ability to move the golfer up and down elevation with ease.  The 1st tee, sited at the top of a 60 foot high (?) dune is something of a curious decision, but as Doak noted in an earlier thread the additional length was needed to prevent golfers from waiting for the first green to clear.  And, the view is exceptional.  The other curiosity is the decision to route the par-3 7th such that the golfer walks to the green and near back to the tee.

Tie-ins on both golf courses are perfect.  Transitions from green to fairway to bunker to sandy waste area to dunes to native grasses to water hazards are so natural that one wonders whether these golf courses have been here forever.

Bunker shaping will be familiar to fans of Doak and/or Coore & Crenshaw.

Doak's greens drape perfectly on the land.  There is a convexity to the undulations on some greens that is unlike anything I have ever seen before.  On the Red Course, bold and broad internal contours will have misplayed shots roll slowly and steadily away from their targets.  On the Blue Course, shots landing on the wrong part of the green, especially if from the wrong angle will be propelled in directions the golfer had not considered.  The Red Course is overt in its penalties, the blue course subtle; but I'm not convinced the Blue Course is any easier.

Unlike the 470 yard behemoth of a par-4 on the Red, Doak eases the golfer into the round, offering the opportunity to hit less than driver from the elevated first tee.  The width of the 1st fairway is probably 40 yards at its narrowest, and where the option to bailout right is available, the fairway widens to about 100 yards.

Golfers on the 1st tee help to give a sense of scale.

Aggressive tee shots down the centre/left will be rewarded with a simple pitch.  Approaching from the right, though from the fairway, is a difficult task requiring a blind approach over a dune to a green that falls off on the left.

For a review and hole descriptions of the remainder of the front-nine, see: http://onegolferstravels.blogspot.com/2012/12/streamsong-resort-blue-streamsong.html

Back-nine to come soon!

Is Streamsong in Florida open yet?

I would love to play there, but distance and cost are issues for me. I visited the web site, www.streamsongresort.com , but did not see an actual opening date, I read it was to be late December.

If it is open, anybody played there yet? What did you think?

Hope everybody is having a great holiday season!  Hope you were not hit by the blizzard as I was!!

I just went to their website and clicked on "Book a Tee Time" and times popped up so I assume that it is open.

Looks like a nice course too.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by walk18

Exactly. I could scrape together that kind of money for a round there, but would I even want to?

Originally Posted by MacDutch

On their website I see a greenfee of 399 dollars to play for a day. When I play (to me) a top course like Celebration for a day I pay less that 100.

Can't be worth that much money....

If you guys think a course like Celebration is a top course, then you wouldn't want to pay "that kind of money"   But to many others, courses can be worth $200'round... Certainly the courses at Bandon, the Old Course etc. If courses like Pinehurst #2 and Pebble were "only" $200/round the tee sheets would be booked solid. I'll reserve judgement on whteher  Streamsong is "worth" that much until I've played it,

If you guys think a course like Celebration is a top course, then you wouldn't want to pay "that kind of money"   But to many others, courses can be worth $200'round... Certainly the courses at Bandon, the Old Course etc. If courses like Pinehurst #2 and Pebble were "only" $200/round the tee sheets would be booked solid. I'll reserve judgement on whteher  Streamsong is "worth" that much until I've played it,

Celebration outside of Orlando? Certainly NOT anywhere near a top tier course. Mid-level resort course at best.....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Holes 10-12 traverse the flattest part of the property.  Some may call these holes less interesting, but they are where I really started to love Streamsong Blue - they are interesting but not overdone - they show tremendous restraint.  The 10th hole is a 170-yard par-3 with tees that adjoin the fairway cut run-off from the 9th green.  A foreshortening bunker makes depth perception a problem.  The simple look of the hole may leave golfers shaking their heads when they walk off the 10th with bogies.

I think the 11th hole is tremendous.  It is hard to describe, but the blindness of the tee shot, the pair of small centreline bunkers on an expansive fairway, the sunken and wild green and especially the gentle rolls in the fairway (which reminded me of waves in an ocean) they all combined to make a subtle elegance.  I know that dirt/sand was moved everywhere, but this hole had a tremendous sense of place.  It felt like a hole that was meant to be there.  This 450-yard par-4 plays into the wind and is the definition of a half-par hole.

Walking of the 11th green in admiration of Doak's restraint, I was a little shocked on the 12th tee as the hole is the only one on the course where things look a little overdone.  There is a lot to take in on the 12th - bunkering right, a centreline mound at 220 yards, blind fairway (?) left of the mound, the green in view - all of it combine to make a cluttered visual.  Add to that the most boldly contoured green on the course and this may become a love/hate golf hole.

Photos and review of the entire course available here: http://onegolferstravels.blogspot.com/2012/12/streamsong-resort-blue-streamsong.html

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All..    I'm brand new to The Sand Trap..     but wanted to weigh in on Streamsong Resort...

I know the Resort, the property, and both Red and Blue Courses better than anybody.

I'm a top Streamsong Caddie.

My name is Chris Catanese, and I get called Chris Cat, or C Cat, or Catman pretty often..   rarely just Chris.   I'm from the Philly Burbs originally.

Seeing as I've had the pleasure to hang out on the golf course with the likes of Peter Jacobsen and his brother David Jacobsen last weekend, and had the pleasure of caddieing for Mr. Tom Fazio(golf architect of over 120 courses) on Thursday and Friday of this week, and then Looped for the lead counsel to the PGA or America and his sons in the the past week...

I'm one of the most trusted and depended on Caddies at Streamsong.

I already know the course like the back of my hand after only 20 or so times around both courses.

Caddies have come from far and wide to open up Streamsong..     Bandon Dunes, Ridgewood Country Club(NJ), Applebrook, Bethpage, The Bears Club, Sandridge (OH) just to name a few. The cream of the Crop of Caddies that live in geographically undesirable locations for winter golf are at Streamsong Resort.

Tom Fazio just filled out my 2 day Caddie survey yesterday and described me as the "Best Caddie he's ever had in Florida", and a "Great Greens Reader" as well as communicating that my attitude is "The Best"   High Praise from a Pillar of the Golf Course Architecture community.

If I can be of any help explaining the courses, the amenities etc..     I'm happy to help.    It's a REAL MUST PLAY/WISHLIST opportunity.

The courses are quite distinct, and have much different character and design features.   Plenty of elevation...   You'll never think you're in Florida...  that's for sure.

Ever play a Biarritz hole?      Here's your chance...

Imagine a green that's 70 yards deep, higher in back than front with an 6 foot deep and 20 foot wide section of the middle of the green carved out with the sides of the depression smoothly sculpted.     The hole can play as little as 150 yards and stretch to almost 220 to the back of the green.    A highly adaptable hole with some unique features to say the least.    Believe it not..     Holes in One seem like a real possiblity on this hole all the time.

Jack Druga, head golf professional of Shinnecock played the hole with the pin in the bottom of the 3 sided bowl green and left himself a 2 inch tap in...    while his playing partner Jimmy Dunn from Sebonak and Seminole had a 15 inch tapin...       I for one hit my first shot on this hole to 15 inches myself to a back pin downwind with a 7 iron in late December when I played Red for the first time.

I also got be with probably the most respected and revered golf professional in the country for 18 holes in Bob Ford, the head pro of both Oakmont and Seminole....    What a Gem.

So if nothing else the Who's Who in golf and business are certainly taking their first sips from the Streamsong fountain so to speak..

Essentially it's a $175 greens fee, and if you get a cart it's $25 per man.  (Replays for 18 holes = $115    \

With a cart you'll also get a Forecaddie to take care of the entire group, their needs, their reads for the 18 holes...    There are stay and play packages available (space permitting since there's only 12 rooms in the Lodge until the 216 roomed Hotel opens up in early October 2013.

Yes there's a fun 37th bet settling hole that will become a great tradition at Streamsong Resort.    Caddies routinely take their bags from the 18th holes on both courses to the Bye Hole to help get things settled up with their players.

SNOWMAN...   have you played the course yet?      If not plan on coming back, and feel free to request myself, or my caddie partner(if I'm tied up with another Loop) Pistol Pete.

There's tons of highly talented caddies at Streamsong as you'd expect with such an extraordinary property that contains 36 holes of amazing Links Golf.

Hope this helps, and I'll answer any questions posed to me via this forum, or feel free to pick my brain on my cell phone in the evening hours..         There's not many people on the planet that can answer some of the questions you might have about the great place that is Streamsong Resort.

Chris Cat

Streamsong Looper

Originally Posted by MacDutch

On their website I see a greenfee of 399 dollars to play for a day. When I play (to me) a top course like Celebration for a day I pay less that 100.

Can't be worth that much money....

Originally Posted by walk18

Exactly. I could scrape together that kind of money for a round there, but would I even want to?

part of value is what a person can afford...from what i have seen in this thread on boht courses it appears to me that 200 per round is totally reasonable and at 315 total for a replay included it is a no brainer to visit. my thought would be fly in Wed morning, play 18, 36 on thursday, 18 friday and fly home in time for the weekend...good times!!

the 37th hole is an awesome idea.

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

I'm playing it this Saturday. Got invited by a consultant whose company did a lot of work at the resort. This is their 'official' opening. Doak, Coore & Crenshaw will be there; they're gonna do a ceremonial ribbon-cutting followed by lunch then a scramble. I'm excited - want to see what they did with an old phosphate mine in the middle of nowhere.

I'm playing it this Saturday. Got invited by a consultant whose company did a lot of work at the resort. This is their 'official' opening. Doak, Coore & Crenshaw will be there; they're gonna do a ceremonial ribbon-cutting followed by lunch then a scramble. I'm excited - want to see what they did with an old phosphate mine in the middle of nowhere.

A scramble ?! Ugh....... :-( Look forward to hearing about the course though.

In David's bag....

Originally Posted by David in FL

A scramble?! Ugh.......

Look forward to hearing about the course though.

Dude...I'm being treated by the consultant. Not costing me a dime.

What, when he called to invite me, I should have said 'Eeew, a scramble? I'll pass.'...?

Of course you should go play.  Trick  to compete in a scramble though,  is bringing a pencil with an eraser and being the last ones to turn in your scorecard.

Originally Posted by gwlee7

Of course you should go play.  Trick  to compete in a scramble though,  is bringing a pencil with an eraser and being the last ones to turn in your scorecard.

Ben Crenshaw will be there. Maybe I can get him on our team.

Dude...I'm being treated by the consultant. Not costing me a dime.  What, when he called to invite me, I should have said 'Eeew, a scramble? I'll pass.'...?

Heck no. Just a shame you can't play it yourself. At least you'll get to see the course, mess around on it a little, and decide if its worth going back to play. Like I said, looking forward to hearing your impressions.

In David's bag....

Glad to hear some of The Sand Trappers will be at Streamsong Resort today for the big event.

Can't wait to hear your feedback, and some of your favorite holes.     It's a very Special place to say the least, and if you like great golf....     You'll love Streamsong Resort's Red and Blue Courses!!

C Cat

Streamsong Looper

Note: This thread is 2258 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!