IGNORED

Do you know people that think they drive the ball further than they actually do?

jcard71
Note: This thread is 6162 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Sure we can all swing out of our shoes and hit that high number, but an average is an average... and it includes every hit (tops, shanks, skies, skulls, all included).

Oh, then my average is more like 112 or 112.5 on my best day.[/QUOTE]

Now THAT is honest, brutally so. All I can say is that since I started playing with my Sky Caddie this year the longest drive I've seen is about 280 yds. The guy I was playing with killed it too. Then again we've had a relatively wet year here and the fairways aren't giving much roll (yet).

What's in my bag (most of the time)

Exotics 12°, Aldila VS Proto 65S
Exotics CB1 4W, 16.5°, Fujikura Stiff
3DX DC Ironwood 20°, 23°, 26º Hybrids, Proforce V2 Stiff Acer XP905 Pro 6-PW, Dynalite Gold S300Inazone CNC Spin Satin GW 50°/8°, SW 54°/14°, LW 58°/4°Boccieri...

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that many of you may not believe me, but honestly that doesn't really bother me:

I hit the absolute best drive of my life.

500 Yard Par 5, I hit it to 140 with the club pro watching.

Weeee!
"The general knowledge in the United States about Australia is low. Everybody thinks we ride kangaroos to school. You don't ever take a kangaroo to school. You take them to the supermarket because you can put groceries in the pouch. "

- Stuart Appleby

In The Bag:Driver - 9.5° XTD Pro Graphite...

Oh, I'm sure a 360 yard drive happens once in a blue moon. I've cranked one out about 330 myself without cart path assistance. Doesn't mean it happens all the time though

"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

Oh, I'm sure a 360 yard drive happens once in a blue moon. I've cranked one out about 330 myself without cart path assistance. Doesn't mean it happens all the time though

I hit one over 400 yards once. It was across a frozen lake. You could hear it singing all the way. I need a larger lake.

INTHE BAG(today)
Driver: Speedline 10 10.5deg
Fairway woods: speedline 3w
Putter:Master grig

Irons: A2 OS

SandWedge 1200GE

Balls: Soft Feel

Bag: Great Divider

Lots of Hope!

I hit one 351 two weeks ago, downhill par 4 and it rained the night before, the course was not wet but wasnt dry or burnt either. I was 28 yards out from the flag and skulled my chip over the green, thank god my next chip went to about a foot away from the pin so I saved par.
Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

I know a guy that must have hit his drive 600 yards. He sliced it OB and watched it bounce on down the road.

I had an honest-to-god 300 yard drive today, but it was one of those rarities. Didn't really matter, because I hit my second shot super thin, and bogeyed the hole. And another I hit was up there, 290, 300, but it ended up on the wrong fairway.

"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

I hit a nice one today. The scorecard says the hole is 408, and my ball was in the fairway next to the 100 yard marker on the cart path. Full disclosure: the hole plays dead downwind, and about 40 feet downhill. I don't know where the tee box stood in relation to the yardage marker. My ball probably would have carried 250 in still air on level ground, so I refuse to say I hit a 300 yard drive. I just say I hit a good one.

Titleist 907D1 10.5°
Titleist 906F4 15.5°
Titleist 906F4 18.5°
Wilson Staff Pi5 3-P
Titleist Vokey 56.14Cleveland CG12 60°Scotty Cameron Newport Two

Good plan - I usually just say wow that felt nice. That way nobody is telling me how far I didn't hit my ball, and when it occasionally IS up there 300+, it's a very nice feeling.
"The general knowledge in the United States about Australia is low. Everybody thinks we ride kangaroos to school. You don't ever take a kangaroo to school. You take them to the supermarket because you can put groceries in the pouch. "

- Stuart Appleby

Only when it hits a cart path on a step decline :P haha

I think you mean steep decline and no it didnt hit a cart path, however, like I said it was downhill.

Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

I can hit it 300 all day long. But only if I go back to 3 wood. And get it to back up on the green then sink the putt. Hang on a second, are we talking golf on a real course or EA Sports Tiger Woods Golf 2004?

I think alot of the high handicappers (hackers) suffer from this same confusion.

I play in Australia so we measure in metres, but 300 yards is about 280 metres. I'm a long hitter and in all honesty have only played with a handful of guys who could regularly outdrive me (including scratch players and pro's), and when I really bust one i can get it out to about 275 metres, but this would need good roll and good conditions. My regular drive would be closer to about 245 metres (270 yards) on a good hit. Any hacker who claims to consistently hit it 300 yards is full of it. Anyone who could hit it that far wouldn't be playing off 27.

Any hacker who claims to consistently hit it 300 yards is full of it. Anyone who could hit it that far wouldn't be playing off 27.

I know several guys that can hit it that far and play off 10+... the issue is they only hit one of those (out of 14 or so) in the fairway... the others that end up in the fairway are usually mishit and barely scrap by around 230-240 or so

There are tons of guys that can hit it far but most can't find it after they DO hit it! Their length is counterproductive because they are pitching from the woods if , in fact, they do find their ball.

Length is great but there has to be a balance with control. 260 straight down the middle beats 300+ in the woods every day of the week.

Personally, I've learned to ignore two things until I actually play with someone:

1. How far they hit their drives
2. How low they score

Both are almost always overstated and being a golfer myself I know that we all have short memories

DEFINITELY.

I tend to hit my driver pretty far compared to most juniors (or anyone for that matter) that I play with, but sometimes hitting it so far when you are having a bad control day really gets you into a lot of trouble.

Distance is nice and good but you have to be able to hit it at least somewhat straight to take advantage of it.

- Stuart Appleby

It is really funny to hear people say they drive it 300 yards regularly. Me,a long hitter, doesn't even hit it 300 very often. I think i've only hit about 5 300 yard drives in my life. I usually average about 280 on a good drive. One time I definetly hit a 300 yard drive because I was playing a 340 yard par 4 and the tees were back and I hit the edge of the greenside bunker past the end of the fairway.

in the bag

Driver: 909D2 9.5° Oban Devotion Shaft

3 Wood: G10 15.5°
Hybrid: 3dx RC 20° Ironwood 

4-PW: MP-57's S300

Wedges: 51° MP-T Black Nickel 56° Vokey Spin Milled 

Putter: Tracy II 35" Iomic Grip 

Ball: Pro V1x

It is really funny to hear people say they drive it 300 yards regularly. Me,a long hitter, doesn't even hit it 300 very often.

Maybe some people just hit it farther than you?

- Stuart Appleby

I average around 220, and I hit about 50% of the fairways, I'm definately improving though. I certainly know some people who think they hit it 300 yards, when really they are hitting it 250 or 270 tops.
In My Bag:
Driver: Cobra F Speed 10.5°, Aldila NV 55g Regular
3 Wood: Cobra F Speed 15°, Aldila NV 55g Regular
Irons: Cobra 2300 I/M 3-PW
Wedge: Cobra M 54°Putter: Yes! SophiaBall: TaylorMade TP Red

exactly. I hit it arouns 245-255 with about 230 of carrying pretty consistantly. For me a great drive is 270.

In the past 4 years (at least 300 rounds) I can probably only name 3 or 4 playing partners who consistantly hit it past me (and keep in mind I usually play with single digit handicap players). Maybe all of the 300 yard drivers don't live in Illinois

What's in the bag:

Driver: Adams 9064LS (project RIP Shaft) 9.5 degree
3 Wood: Titleist 909R 14.5 degree
Hybrid 3-iron: 19 degree Tour Professional (bent to 18 degrees)Hybrid 4-iron: 21 degree Tour ProfessionalIrons: Tour X-20 5-PW Project X 6.0 shaftsGap Wedge: Mizuno MP10 52.08 Sand Wedge: Mizuno MP10 58.10 Lob Wedge: Nike 62.06

Note: This thread is 6162 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!