IGNORED

wedges

Note: This thread is 6153 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If I follow you correctly the only wedge you carry is a pitching wedge.
No clue what the loft is on your pitching wedge but I would suggest looking at a sand wedge first with a minimum 8 - 12 degrees difference than your pitching wedge. For sure your greenside bunker play will improve. You then have enough of a loft variance in case you want to add a gap wedge in between the pitching and sand wedge lofts. A lob wedge could be your 4th wedge. Up to you... Ultimately, technique is your key because with your distance there is no club made that would allow you to take a full swing from 50 yards in. Our handicaps are similar and I can tell you that any shot less than a full swing for me is difficult to dial in yardage, especially a 50 yard shot.
FT-5 tour 10.5
Tour lp 14.5
Halo 22
BB 04 5 iron thru pw Black nickel tour 54CG11 58White hot tour rossie 34

So you are that guy. The guy on every forum that sits behind his computer and gets enjoyment at either, putting everyone else down calling everyone a liar, and/or tries to stir the pot and get everyone pissed off. Nice to meet ya!

While it's amusing to me that you think I'm "that guy", I'm actually far from it and do not "put everyone else down calling everyone a liar"......just Carpe Diem in this instance as it relates to the stretching of the truth; not really putting him down. I'm fairly new to this forum, but if you look at some of my other posts, you'll find them to be quite hospitable and "helpful" actually. But when I see somebody boasting about 165 yard PWs that he regularly hits accurately, and wants sage advice based on that claim, I'm gonna call him on it. And fortunately for me, I've got better things to do with my time than to fly down to South Carolina and watch you

not hit the green from 165 but thanks for the offer. But, I'm a sporting guy and up for a good challenge, so I see two ways to squelch our little e-squabble here: Option 1) Post a poll simply asking "What club do you hit from 165 yards under normal conditions (even lie, not uphill/downhill green, light to no wind, relatively close to sea level, etc.)? I can almost guarantee you that nobody will answer PW in all honesty. Well, they may now because they think I'm an a-hole and will just for spite, but in an unbiased, honest poll I very seriously doubt anybody would answer PW. Option 2) I, like Carpe Diem, am also shopping for wedges (probably a 56 and a 60). I am willing to bet a new 56 wedge of his choice if he "wins" and one of my choice if I "win" that Carpe Diem cannot drop a ball, or 5 balls for that matter, at a SkyCaddie or similar GPS device measured 165 yards and hit a reasonably sized green with a PW (no skulled worm burners either; he implied that he hits it with plenty of air under it and they land softly on the green). If Carpe Diem can produce unedited, undoctored video evidence or get a couple of guys to witness and vouch for the outcome of the event and stick the green with one of those 5 balls, I will buy him his new wedge. He doesn't hit the green, he's buying mine. Simple as that. BTW, are you sure you aren’t drunk or stoned when you’re hitting these mammoth 160 yard PWs?!?!?! Free Ballin – “I play a Thursday afternoon blitz every week with a good buddy of mine who smokes grass. I have smoked with him on occasion but it didn't have any affect on my game. I was already playing bad enough to start drinking heavily so it didn't matter.” You can think what you want about me but I’m not the guy bragging about smoking dope or getting drunk on the course. And I find it very curious that Carpe Diem hits the same club from either 100 or 165 yards out. Carpe Diem – “congrats, as I recorded my first eagle a week ago. 100 yards out, 2nd shot, PW.” I sure wish I had the miracle club in my bag that has a 65 yard disparity! Congrats on the Eagle, btw. You guys may want to watch what you post on the Internet….it could come back to haunt ya’!!! And apologies to other forum members that are reading this and think I’m a big jerk, but these young guys that come on to these forums bragging and boasting about stuff that any reasonable person would have to question can really piss me off sometimes. I’ve said my peace now though and will get back to the regularly scheduled programming.

Brian
In the bag:
Driver: TaylorMade R7 460, R, 10.5
3 Wood: TayorMade R5
5 Wood Nickent 3DXIrons Callaway X16Wedges Mixed bag, looking to upgradePutter Nickent Pipe Putter w/Midsize Winn gripBall Callaway HX Hot

• Administrator

I can hit my pitching wedge 165 yards. The problem is, when you blade it like that, it's tough to control the spin.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I can hit my pitching wedge 165 yards. The problem is, when you blade it like that, it's tough to control the spin.

I thought you said you weren't a big hitter and you hit your 7 iron 150 yards?

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

• Administrator
I thought you said you weren't a big hitter and you hit your 7 iron 150 yards?

Reading comprehension, my young friend. Read what I wrote again... more carefully this time.

And I hit my 7-iron about 165 these days.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

LOL! Exactly.

Brian
In the bag:
Driver: TaylorMade R7 460, R, 10.5
3 Wood: TayorMade R5
5 Wood Nickent 3DXIrons Callaway X16Wedges Mixed bag, looking to upgradePutter Nickent Pipe Putter w/Midsize Winn gripBall Callaway HX Hot

And I hit my 7-iron about 165 these days.

Thats not what you said in this post - which is all I was refferring to anyway.

Originally Posted by iacas View Post I can hit my pitching wedge 165 yards. The problem is, when you blade it like that, it's tough to control the spin.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

The other thing you need to consider about their clubs and why the PW is going so long is the loft of the PW and length of the shaft. I hit a friends PW once (he is 6'6") it was only a 45* wedge and was 1.25" longer than standard. I too hit that wedge 160-165 pretty easy if I swung hard. I hit my 48* PW thats standard length 125-130 yards for comparison.

165yards with your PW. Thats like 140m thats huge. What degree is your PW 40*. I'm off 15 and i hit my PW 95m-105m which is about 110yards-120yards.

Do you swing at like 120MPH or something.
My distances
Driver 215m (depends on how i hit it, sometimes it will only go 190m sometimes it will go 230m)
5-wood 200m
3-iron 185m
4-iron 175m
5-iron 165m
6-iron 155m
7-iron 145m
8-iron 135m
9-iron 125m
PW 47* 95m -105m
SW 56* 55m - 65m
LW 60* 30m-40m

I rarely hit a full SW or LW unless i have to get the ball to spin.
The course i play has been very wet lately and i have been having to go 1 or 2 clubs up, so when it drys up i might be hitting a bit further.

Spin is a big factor with wedges, i get alot of spin so i opted not to get the vokeys because they get a bit more spin than the clevelands, but it comes down to what you are comfortable with.
In my black carry bag
Driver- 909 D2 10.5* 76g Stiff UST Proforce V2
3-Wood 909 F3 14.5* 82g Stiff UST Proforce V2
Hybrid- 585-H 19* 85g Stiff Flex Adilla Proto
Irons- Z-B Forged 3iron-PW Project X 6.0Gap Wedge- Vokey Spin Milled 52|8Sand Wedge- Vokey Spin Milled 56|10Putter- Scotty Cameron...

LOL!!!

CG031...look for the sarcasm, the statement is pratically drippin in it.

In my Grom:
Driver: :nike: Sasquatch 9.5° Graffalloy Shaft-Stiff Flex
FW: :nike: 3 (15°) & 5 (19°) Sasquatch Diamana Shaft-Stiff Flex
Hybrid: :touredge: Tour Edge Exotics Ironwood 21° Adila Shaft-Stiff Flex
Irons: :nike: 4-AW OSS Steel Shaft-Stiff Flex
Wedges: :vokey: Vokey Spin Milled 54 and 60
Putter:  :edel: Basic Series 

I agree with green6767 on the Clevelands! I went with a 52 gap and a 58 lob wedge. It will help your game immensely. You might still have to take a half or three quarter swing with the 58 for 50 yards, but it will go high and land softly.

Good luck,
Ryan
ogio.gif Vision SS Bag:
cleveland.gif Launcher DST 10.5*  taylormade.gif R9 16.5* 4W
taylormade.gif Rescue Dual 19*  taylormade.gif Burner 2.0 4-PW
vokey.gif 250.08, Spin Milled 54.10, and 58.08
yesgolf.gif Callie  bridgestone.gif B330

I WISH I could hit my PW like you guys.

PW 90-100yds
52° 75-80yds
56° & 60° everything else
WITB

Callaway FT-5 11°
Callaway X-HOT 15°
Sonartec HB-001 19° & 23°Callaway X-22 5-PWTitleist Vokey 200 Series 52°Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 56°Titleist Vokey Special Grind 60°Scotty Cameron Mizuno M-100

I didnt look, but at what elevation are you? Because I am from Texas and average about 130 with my pitching wedge, but I went to Denver, CO and played... and I was hitting everything at least 30 yards longer. No joke. It was really frustrating because I couldnt get a distance down. SO, I believe you.

And look for some cleveland wedges... or Mizuno. Not too expensive, and made very well.

In my bag todayâ¦.
Driver:
3 Wood:
Hybrid:
3-PW: Wedges: Putter: Ball:

Oh, I'm sure I could hit a pitching wedge 165, if I muscled it, caught it kinda thin so it had little to no spin, and rolled out a bit more. But I wouldn't want to do it. I'd rather make a normal swing with a 6 or 7 iron than try to pull off a low-percentage shot like that.

I normally hit a pitching wedge 125-130, sand wedge about 100-105, and lob wedge, 70-80-ish.

For most shots within that range I'll use a pitching wedge, but when I get to 50 yards in, unless I have a lot of green, I use my lob wedge. I can't get the greens to hold a pitching wedge. Occasionally I'll have a shot of about 100 yards and the pin's in front, in which I'll take a sand wedge and fire away - but never out of a tight lie. I can't think of a time I haven't caught my sand wedge super thin out of a fairway or hardpan, because of the bounce.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

I play 4 wedges.

a PW (45 degree)
a GW (50 degree)

Those 2 came with the irons (Titleist 775's)

The other two that I bought were
a 54.10 Vokey
a 58.11 Callaway X-Tour (vintage finish)

The latter took a little bit to get used to. I play the 54 from around 105-85

In my bag:

Driver: Cleveland Hibore XL 9.5*
Hybrids: Cleveland HiBore 19*
Nike Slingshot 23*Irons: Titleist 775 CBWedges: Titleist Vokey 54.10 Callaway X-Tour 58.12

Note: This thread is 6153 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!