IGNORED

GO FOR IT or Play it Smart?

MEfree
Note: This thread is 4263 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Assuming you are a reachable distance into a Par 5, do you go for the green even when you know the smart play would be to lay up?

• Yes, I`d rather try to put it on the green and give myself a chance at eagle even if it brings a big number into play.
    • No, I`ll lay up to take a big number out of play and hope I can pitch and putt my way to birdie.
    • I`ve never been close enough to a par 5 off the tee to go for it in 2.

Originally Posted by Dave2512

I initially voted no but after 3 successive rounds with blown safe shots I'm starting to second guess my choice. I had no choice but to go for it after that.

It's been more than once that my "go for it" shot was a safe layup anyway, simply because I couldn't reach the trouble even with a well hit 3W.

• Upvote 1

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sometimes when i layup i cant even do that properly. Ha.
  • Upvote 1

What's In My  Stand Bag

Driver:  FT-iZ 9*

Hybrids: C3 3,4,5

Irons: C3 6-GW

Wedges: C3 58*/8 and 54*/12

Putter:  blade

Ball: Gamer V2

http://cdn.thesandtrap.com/0/0d/150x50px-LL-0d81d772_tst_award_kickstarter_otm.png

Originally Posted by Fourputt

It's been more than once that my "go for it" shot was a safe layup anyway, simply because I couldn't reach the trouble even with a well hit 3W.

That usually is how it turns out for me when I get a good shot... When I botch it, its usually the rough, and occasionally the trees or water.

Most of the time its a combination of the rough or fairway short of the green... After all, as erratic as my drives have been, even though improvements are showing, it still means a 260 - 270 yard shot with a 3 wood, and that's after a decent drive. Can I make it? Yes. But the key word is CAN.... hehehehe I used to be able to do that, but only having started up again this past year and late last after a long hiatus.... I can't do that consistently anymore. So it does end up looking more like a lay-up.

So, theoretically I went for it, but realistically it looks like I laid up... hehehe.

Other times I drive into trouble, and then botch the recovery..... then its looking to hit in 3.... then botching that and hitting it in 4 to get bogey or double bogey.... hehehe

Although, I just have to laugh when I try to go for it with deadly danger in front of the green and it sails off in the WRONG direction....

Driver: :adams: Speedline F11 9.5* loft 3 Wood: :adams: Speedline F12 15* Hybrid: :adams: Idea Super Hybrid 17* - Used in place of my 5 wood Hybrid: :adams: Idea A1 i-wood 21* Irons: :adams: Idea A1 5-PW Wedges: :adams: Watson 52*, 56*, 60* Wedges Putter: :tmade: Rossa Lambeau, Black

I will generally lay it up asclose as possible. Being cautious has kept the large numbers aay from par 5s for the most part this year. I am a medium length hitter. On long par 4s i will also layup as close to green as posibble. Moral of the story for me hasben that any heo shot i may make to save one stroke will almost certainly be more than eaten up by an errant go for it shot, so the risk is not worth it for me.

Depends on two things ...

1. I need an above average drive

2. Need a flat & fluffy fairway lie to really go after it with the 3 wood

If these two criteria are met, I'll go for it; otherwise, I'll lay up

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On a level fairway, 240 yards is a monster drive for me. After two shots, I'm still a wedge away.

Callaway Big Bertha 10.5

Callaway X2Hot Hybrids 16*, 22*, 25*

Callaway XR Irons 6-AW

Callaway Mack Daddy 2 54*,59*, 64*

Odyssey Metal-X Milled Rossie Putter

Bag Boy Revolver LE bag

Bag Boy Quad cart

Note: This thread is 4263 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!