IGNORED

practice routines for tournaments?

Note: This thread is 4278 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

OK I have my first tourney of the season coming up (yes I know its late for a first but I've been rebuilding this year) next weekend. Right now my routine has been(putting) 10 in a row from 3 feet (only looking at the ball at setup then keeping focus on the hole), a 4 ball latter starting at 3 feet then moving the next ball 1 putter length back making 3 of 4 three times before moving on. Next is what I call a funnel drill, what I do is start at 3 feet then the next ball is 3 feet over 1.5 feet back (continued for 5 balls). I must clear the funnel 3 times. I then move to lag putting and putting from the fringe with a target range I have to leave 85% in. After that I move to hitting greenside chips from an assortment of distances and lies using my gap wedge and my 7 iron splitting my bag of balls in half at each location. I then make my way to the range working on my driver and my irons I use most during a round for about 3/4 of the bucket working on striking between two tees. I then finish off with my lesser used irons to keep them sharp as well. I am currently doing this 3-4 times a week and always with music (not sure how that's effecting my practice time though). I'm putting this out there to see if anyone had thoughts for me. Weather to change anything, add anything or take anything away. Thanks

This is an interesting thread and makes a lot of sense to me.  Good luck with the tournament!

http://thesandtrap.com/t/58816/65-25-10-practice-ratios-where-to-devote-your-practice-time

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
Originally Posted by mvmac

This is an interesting thread and makes a lot of sense to me.  Good luck with the tournament!

http://thesandtrap.com/t/58816/65-25-10-practice-ratios-where-to-devote-your-practice-time

That's good for general improvement, of course.

I should write something up about tournament prep. Tournament prep is a different beast because you have to consider the specific shots, and you're not doing "practicing" so much as you're doing "fine tuning" or "understanding" or perhaps even making small adjustments that could yield big results. It's not unwise, for a tournament, to put a little extra time into your short game because that's the area in which bigger improvements are made quickly. You could shave a stroke or two just by holing one extra putt or chipping closer on a hole, while saving one or two shots in the full swing will be much more difficult to get in a week.

Course strategy matters. Really nail down your yardages for most irons and various length wedge swings. Get used to the bunkers and the green speeds.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Not trying to highjack, but this sort of piggybacks on the OP.

I played in my first Match Play event last weekend and wanted you guys opinion on a couple of things.  First, do you prepare any differently for a Match Play tourney versus a stroke play one?  Also do you play your opponent or still try and play the course and let the "cards fall where they may?"  I figure that playing it safe when the opponent is in the water or something is pretty standard, but humor me.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Double Bogey

Not trying to highjack, but this sort of piggybacks on the OP.

I played in my first Match Play event last weekend and wanted you guys opinion on a couple of things.  First, do you prepare any differently for a Match Play tourney versus a stroke play one?  Also do you play your opponent or still try and play the course and let the "cards fall where they may?"  I figure that playing it safe when the opponent is in the water or something is pretty standard, but humor me.

That's match play strategy and I think we have threads on that. It's OT for this thread.

There's no difference in practicing for match play versus stroke play, IMO.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Another thread that would be good to take a quick look at, since it's the first one of the season  http://thesandtrap.com/t/53453/the-mental-game-in-two-words

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

thanks for the feedback everyone, i really appreciate it. I have printed out the score cards and am waiting to hear back from the tournament director on what tees my flight is playing and will be going to the range tomorrow and again saturday (my tournament is next sat) at my flights tee time and then I will go back out to the range again next thurs to play the "simulated card course).

Here goes nothing right? I'm hoping for the best but ready to have fun no matter what happens and am ready to see where my tournament mental game is at.

Note: This thread is 4278 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!