IGNORED

Looking for a Players Golf Instructor in Long Island, NY

JJHoin
Note: This thread is 4239 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm currently looking to take lessons from a Pro here in Long Island that has.....

- Played competitve golf (not necessary but a plus)

- Taught college players/aspiring pros

- Passion to get people with the ambition to scratch or better

- Teaches at a club with a full grass range and a short game area

- Is available to teach on the weekends

- Under $150 per hr

- within 1 hr of Forest Hills

Thank you for your comments in advance, I don't really have too many friends that golf, so this is the best way to look around.  If it helps I'm a 2 handicap good all around player.

• 2 weeks later...

PJ Cowan, Eisenhower Park, NY.

Played professionally nationwide tour 10+ years. Multiple US opens. Held record on Bethpage Black (65) until 2002 US Open.

Teaches all players/abilities. No matter your level, your game will improve.

But if you can play a little, he will transform your game, and make you a player.

He's very much a feel player, and feel teacher. He's not into technical garbage, unless your clearly not holding club correctly or positioning ball, etc.

He'll actually show you how to hit the ball....and it will look real simple.

He doesn't use props, mirrors, videos. He shows you how to hit the ball properly by repetition. And you will learn to feel and get it. I did.

And by next year i should be close to scratch.

I'll throw in my 2 cents and say that a teacher who uses video (and knows what he's looking at) is invaluable. And a big "thumbs down" to the "technical garbage" comment. Knowing precisely what's going on, a grasp of the physics and geometry behind the swing, are anything but garbage.

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by jimdandy

PJ Cowan, Eisenhower Park, NY.

Played professionally nationwide tour 10+ years. Multiple US opens. Held record on Bethpage Black (65) until 2002 US Open.

Teaches all players/abilities. No matter your level, your game will improve.

But if you can play a little, he will transform your game, and make you a player.

He's very much a feel player, and feel teacher. He's not into technical garbage, unless your clearly not holding club correctly or positioning ball, etc.

He'll actually show you how to hit the ball....and it will look real simple.

He doesn't use props, mirrors, videos. He shows you how to hit the ball properly by repetition. And you will learn to feel and get it. I did.

And by next year i should be close to scratch.

Eisenhower Park doesn't have a grass range or a short game area if I recall correctly.

How about:

http://www.pga.com/professionals/jeffrey-p-gschwind-pga

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Originally Posted by colin007

I'll throw in my 2 cents and say that a teacher who uses video (and knows what he's looking at) is invaluable.

And a big "thumbs down" to the "technical garbage" comment. Knowing precisely what's going on, a grasp of the physics and geometry behind the swing, are anything but garbage.

So if you have a good grasp of the physics and geometry, you should be hitting it like "the swing machine" right?

Tune into golf today, show me 2 swings alike. They all have different swings, but all hit the sweet spot on the face of the club.... everytime!!

Cant wait to see you on the PGA tour Colin with your geometrically, technically perfect swing! ---------Clueless

Originally Posted by nevets88

Eisenhower Park doesn't have a grass range or a short game area if I recall correctly.

How about:

http://www.pga.com/professionals/jeffrey-p-gschwind-pga

No grass but a great range: nice mats, and the best range balls- not old, soft, filthy ones you find everywhere. They have a short game area, it's small though.

You want to play on the grass, with a lesser teacher... that's your choice.

Bottom line is this... this OP is a 2 handicap. Does he want to be scratch or maybe be good enough for local tournaments? I'm assuming he does.

I've gone to 2 top 50 Golf Digest pro's on LI, won't mention their names. You've heard of them. They had me doing "twister" with my golf swing. It was ridiculous. Few lessons with each of them, and i was disappointed to say the least. I went to PJ, he kept my solid golf swing that I already had and I LEARNED HOW TO HIT THE BALL. Thats what he teaches.

A 2 handicap... doesn't need his swing on video, and told to change grip, elbow here or there- TECHNICAL GARBAGE.

Like i said before....if you're a player...you're game will soar. And he has pupils playing right now on nationwide/mini tours. If you want "feel" instruction...he's the guy.

So...is tiger clueless because his instructor uses video? Hunter Mahan? Justin Rose? You do realize there are things that just about every single pro does, right? Or not?

Colin P.

Originally Posted by colin007

So...is tiger clueless because his instructor uses video? Hunter Mahan? Justin Rose?

You do realize there are things that just about every single pro does, right? Or not?

If you want a "video" or "mirror" or "hit the bag" instructor....they're everywhere.

I'll be seeing you on the PGA tour soon right Colin!?

Let me know how your physics and geometry work on your swing. bahaha

Let us know when you break 100 too.

Ok, now you're just being insolent. I can actually back up what I'm saying about the value of video, the commonalities that virtually all pros display, and the relevancy of understanding swing geometry, but you're not interested. Peace out.

Colin P.

Originally Posted by JJHoin

I'm currently looking to take lessons from a Pro here in Long Island that has.....

- Played competitve golf (not necessary but a plus)

- Taught college players/aspiring pros

- Passion to get people with the ambition to scratch or better

- Teaches at a club with a full grass range and a short game area

- Is available to teach on the weekends

- Under $150 per hr

- within 1 hr of Forest Hills

Thank you for your comments in advance, I don't really have too many friends that golf, so this is the best way to look around.  If it helps I'm a 2 handicap good all around player.

Check this guy out

http://www.xgolfschool.com/michaeljacobs.html

Rock Hill Golf & Country Club, 105 Clancy Rd, Manorville NY 11949

You would be making a mistake not to.

I live on the Island and have been thinking of seeing a pro given my game has hit a plateau. I can't seem to get it into the 80's on any consistent basis (but I've only been playing for three years after back surgery). What does Mike Jacobs charge per hour? I realize there are probably package deals but on average what does he charge?

Originally Posted by cooke119

I live on the Island and have been thinking of seeing a pro given my game has hit a plateau. I can't seem to get it into the 80's on any consistent basis (but I've only been playing for three years after back surgery). What does Mike Jacobs charge per hour? I realize there are probably package deals but on average what does he charge?

Click on the link I provided and you will find his rates are published on the site under "Lesson Prices" at the top of the page.

Note: This thread is 4239 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!