IGNORED

2012 NFL Season

jamo
Note: This thread is 4142 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by RonTheSavage

Agreed!

I guess Dan Marino wasn't a succesful (pocket) QB? I guess he should've become more "scrambly"

And yes "scrambly" is a new word LOL

For all the talk of Marino, the fact is that his teams got to and lost in the playoffs, frequently because he played badly.  Over-rated IMO.  In his one Super Bowl he put up a 66.9 passer rating.

And anyway, we aren't really talking about individuals.  We are talking about types.  Almost every Super Bowl has been won by a pocket QB.  NO running QBs have won the Super Bowl.  One scrambling QB (Steve Young, who later in his career ran when forced, not as planned plays - which is my definition of the difference between a scrambling QB and a running QB) has won the Super Bowl.

Will RG3 break the mold?  Maybe.  But the odds are against him.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by turtleback

For all the talk of Marino, the fact is that his teams got to and lost in the playoffs, frequently because he played badly.  Over-rated IMO.  In his one Super Bowl he put up a 66.9 passer rating.

And anyway, we aren't really talking about individuals.  We are talking about types.  Almost every Super Bowl has been won by a pocket QB.  NO running QBs have won the Super Bowl.  One scrambling QB (Steve Young, who later in his career ran when forced, not as planned plays - which is my definition of the difference between a scrambling QB and a running QB) has won the Super Bowl.

I think Marino was the greatest passer in the history of the game. Note the word I used - passer. The quick release & his accuracy, coupled with good WRs - the Marks Brothers, Tony Nathan & others allowed him to break a ton of passing records. But defense wins championships, and those Dolphin teams did not have any defense - we used to call them the Olphins - no D.

So yeah, Marino got shut down in the playoffs cuz teams got 'hep to the Fins one-dimensional offense. And their defense couldn't contain the other team. That's why Dan never got a ring. He couldn't play Linebacker. And unfortunately for him, nobody else on those teams did either.

Effing Lions!

~Justin

R11 9.5* w/Matrix Ozik Code 6.2
Taylormade 14* V-Steel w/ProLaunch Blue
Taylormade 16.5* V-Steel w/Aldila NV
Taylormade 21* V-Steel w/Dyanlite Gold S300
Mizuno MX 23 5-6 w/Rifel 5.5 SSx2
Mizuno MP 32 7-PW w/Rifel 5.5 SSx2
Callaway X-Forged 52*, 56*, 60*
Mizuno 0803 Custom Slighter

RGIII MRI was negative, so he should be OK.  That young man needs to learn to slide!!!  The Ravens are starting to struggle.  Should be an interesting last four weeks.

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Originally Posted by JasonK88S

RGIII?

Cam Newton?

And RG3 Will be fine, he just needs to go to Nationals spring training and learn how to sliiiiiiiiiiiide

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

I just think the NFL is changing. We have more "athletes" playing QB now more than ever before. It's only a matter of time before pocket QB's are no longer the norm.

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Browns with a win... Three weeks in a row!? The Mayan calendar may be right!?

Rams also coming through? im starting to get worried.

• Upvote 1

"There are two things that don't last very long...dogs that chase cars, and golfers who putt for pars."

Originally Posted by RonTheSavage

I just think the NFL is changing. We have more "athletes" playing QB now more than ever before. It's only a matter of time before pocket QB's are no longer the norm.

We'll see.  There are athletes on the other side too, just salivating over delivering the hit to these athletic running QBs.  And it has yet to be proven that a running QB can take a team all the way.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

We'll see.  There are athletes on the other side too, just salivating over delivering the hit to these athletic running QBs.  And it has yet to be proven that a running QB can take a team all the way.

Very true. These guys cant wait for their chance to come one on one with a "runner"

"There are two things that don't last very long...dogs that chase cars, and golfers who putt for pars."

Quote:

I don't agree with this.  If anything, the running QB is retro.  Cam Newton broke the rush TD record for a QB last year breaking Steve Grogan's record from 1976.  Many QBs ran back then.  The QB draw was a common play.  The Pocket passer and evolution of the passing game is a later development.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Originally Posted by JasonK88S

Very true. These guys cant wait for their chance to come one on one with a "runner"

These guys cant wait for the chance to hit a QB period. And more than a few had their chance at 6"4 250 lb Cam Newton on his long TD run last week but the result was a TD

I agree that it has yet to be proven that a running QB can take a team all the way. But guys who get paid to scout talent and draft are drafting these guys and starting them very early. These guys have forgotten more football then I'll ever know so with that said it's fun to watch either way.

Originally Posted by boogielicious

I don't agree with this.  If anything, the running QB is retro.  Cam Newton broke the rush TD record for a QB last year breaking Steve Grogan's record from 1976.  Many QBs ran back then.  The QB draw was a common play.  The Pocket passer and evolution of the passing game is a later development.

I stand by my post only because I was born in 76 so anything pre Im not familiar with. So I guess I should re-word it to say "The NFL that I know is changing" LOL

Note: This thread is 4142 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!