IGNORED

Score = 95 - 2 x GIRs

tdinneen
Note: This thread is 6128 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Not true. I hit 10-12 greens a round but usually struggle to break 90.

No offense man, but it's tough to believe anything you say on this message board. One minute you talk about bombing 300 yard drives, then the next you talk about all the "toppers" you hit off the tee and how you get 12's on certain holes.

Now you are saying that you hit 10-12 greens a round when we have low cappers averaging around 7-8 per round? 14 handicappers don't really "struggle" to break 90, especially if they are hitting 10-12 greens a round. Not trying to be your mother, but start using a handicap system and enter in all your scores exactly how they occur (taking into account equitable stroke control when appropriate, google it if you are not familiar), and actually track your stats. You will be amazed as to how you are able to analyze and improve your game accordingly. Not to mention, being honest with yourself about your game.
  • Upvote 1

I sort of remember the premise of the article, but you will find that statistically, it doesn't work for anyone that shoots over 95. Plus, the closer you shoot to 95, the further off it is. If you look at the pros...the 50th guy on the money list is Steve Marino...he hits 64% of his greens (about 11-12) and averages 71 for a score. That's pretty much right on with the stats.

A buddy of mine and I played on Saturday, he shot 89 and hit 3 greens and I shot 83 and hit 7 greens...problem for me is I had 5 doubles because I couldn't keep it in bounds on the front and shot 43.

Driver: 9.5 905R 757 Speeder X stiff
3 Wood: 13.0 Sonartec GS Tour Red Ice 70X
Hybrid: 17.0 Sonartec MD Stiff UST IROD
Irons: 690cb 4-PW w/Rifle 6.0
Wedges: Cleveland 900 Series Gunmetal 50, 54, 60Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Newport 370g head

To give another data point. My average GIR over 2 years (about 20 rounds) is 6.7. Using the formula that would suggest an average score of 81.6. Real average is 86.6.

I don't think this formula accounts for "blow ups" very well. Case in point. On my last round I hit 9 greens. But two doubles and a triple put a real crimp in my score. I think this formula is at best a ball park estimate.

Robert Reid

In the bag:

Driver Cobra M/F Speed3 Cleveland LauncherCleveland Halo 2i Nike CPR 23 degree5-PW Mizuno MX 23 (graphite shafts)56 degree SW Mizuno MT

Even IF the formula proves to be relatively close for a lot of golfers, so what?

I don't get it. At the end of the day, what I shot is what I shot whether I have 25 putts or 40 putts, 3 GIR or 11 GIR.

No offense man, but it's tough to believe anything you say on this message board. One minute you talk about bombing 300 yard drives, then the next you talk about all the "toppers" you hit off the tee and how you get 12's on certain holes.

(Well, the 12's usually come from consecutive shots out of bounds, or just bad judgement on my part (think Tin Cup here). I don't normally hit a lot of toppers - but they do happen occasionally. And like I said, I tend to three and four putt a lot.)

As to the handicap thing, I put it into a calculator online, and it gave me a number. I had to combine 9 hole rounds in order to get enough 18 holers to calculate it, and I tend to much better at 9 holers. One of these days, though, I'll get a real handicap card.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

bums, I'm with Nassau, I don't believe anything you write on this board. I do get a good chuckle out of most of it though.
To the topic, sure no article like this is going to accurrately predict your score. But, I think the general idea of what the guy is trying to say holds true. Basically, he's saying if you are an average putter (minimize 3,4,5 putts) as your GIR's go up your score will go down. I hit 1-2 GIR's per round and I usually shoot between 95-100, so for me it's pretty close.

Bag: Grom
Driver: HiBore 10.5° Fuji Stiff
3W: V-Steel 15° Graphite Designs YS-6 Stiff
3h-4h: Bobby Jones Stiff
5i-PW: CG4 Steel StiffWedges: 588 DSG RTG 52°, 900 RTG 56° Low bounce, Reg. 588 RTG 60°Putter: Dead CenterBalls: Pro V1 Speed Cart V1Home Courses: Riverdale Dunes / Knolls,...

bums, I'm with Nassau, I don't believe anything you write on this board.

Well, eh, how am I supposed to

sound more honest on a forum? I mean, I wouldn't lie outright about something, but I might stretch something to make a point every so often. But, I seriously do three and four putt a lot. (I even five-putted during my club championship.)

2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

Even IF the formula proves to be relatively close for a lot of golfers, so what?

it's more of a barometer to measure your improvement. If you don't care about analysing your score and stats, then it doesn't matter. For those that do want to improve, it's a good analysis tool.

Wedges: Cleveland 900 Series Gunmetal 50, 54, 60Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Newport 370g head

Well, eh, how am I supposed to

If you play in a club championship, I take that to mean you belong to a club. If so, why wouldn't you use the handicap system at your club? I would think the club would require you to, just for determining which flight you'd be in for the club championship. Also, handicap services are usually included in membership fees/dues.

As for the GIR/score formula, I've used it as a comparison tool for awhile now and find it to be pretty accurate over the long term. For the current year, it "predicts" my average score to within one stroke. The nature of the formula is this: the more well-rounded your game is, the more closely it will approximate your score.

If you play in a club championship, I take that to mean you belong to a club. If so, why wouldn't you use the handicap system at your club? I would think the club would require you to, just for determining which flight you'd be in for the club championship. Also, handicap services are usually included in membership fees/dues.

They do. I'm trying to collect enough 18 hole rounds to put it on the computer. I have tons and tons of 9 holers, but few if any 18 holers. I would just combine 9 holers to make enough 18's and then toss it onto a calculator on the internet. Until I get enough rounds, of course. (It's free IIRC).

As to the club championship, it was two rounds of play - first was qualifying, second was for real score. To keep sandbaggers out they would adjust anyone's score that was more than 10 strokes better the second day...or so I heard.
  • Booooooooo 1

They do. I'm trying to collect enough 18 hole rounds to put it on the computer. I have tons and tons of 9 holers, but few if any 18 holers. I would just combine 9 holers to make enough 18's and then toss it onto a calculator on the internet. Until I get enough rounds, of course. (It's free IIRC).

You should be putting in all your 9 hole scores to your club's computer. If it's a real USGA GHIN handicapping system (and I've never seen a club that wasn't), just combine your 9 hole rounds to get 18 hole scores and it will still calculate an official handicap index for you.

http://www.popeofslope.com/guidelines/index.html
  • Informative 1

What's in my bag (most of the time)

Exotics 12°, Aldila VS Proto 65S
Exotics CB1 4W, 16.5°, Fujikura Stiff
3DX DC Ironwood 20°, 23°, 26º Hybrids, Proforce V2 Stiff Acer XP905 Pro 6-PW, Dynalite Gold S300Inazone CNC Spin Satin GW 50°/8°, SW 54°/14°, LW 58°/4°Boccieri...

http://www.popeofslope.com/guidelines/figuring.html

^ thats not accurate really at all. i dont have an official handicap so i tried doing it that way, and I came out with a 14 handicap which is total bull because I am more or so around a 20 handicap because the course with all my scores (my home course) has like a 68.5 rating.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

You should be putting in all your 9 hole scores to your club's computer. If it's a real USGA GHIN handicapping system (and I've never seen a club that wasn't), just combine your 9 hole rounds to get 18 hole scores and it will still calculate an official handicap index for you.

Hmmm...I will check into that. Most of my scorecards this year have all found their way to the same box.

there really is no reason that someone that plays at least once/month shouldn't have a handicap.

There is a second page to the article that gives a relationship between GIR and putts, so if you hit 8 GIR AND 32 putts, you should shoot 79.
The second part of the article is here.

As far as the character of the poster, I think we all know who the junior golfers on the forum are. I remember what it was like to be a wide-eyed junior golfer trying to hang with grown-ass men that had hair on their chests and beer on their breathe. Let's try to foster growth while discouraging BS. Or the other way around. Really don't care, now that I think about it. You are all just figments of my imagination, anyway.
In my bag:
The failed hopes and dreams of 25 years of golf (on DG S300 shafts with Lamkin Crossline midsize grips)

This article might have more to do with better golfers. Cause I think they base it on people not 5 putting a hole or absolutely blowing up which most high handicappers do. I tell ya if I hit more GIR then my scores would drop a couple of strokes a round.
Driver FT-3 9deg w/ Aldila NV 65-S
3wood Rescue 3 15deg
Irons R7 TP w/ Flighted Rifle 6.5
Wedges 48deg TA900, 53deg TA588, 58deg TA900
Putter 2 ball center shaftedBall NXT Tour

Actually it is probably best to apply this to a competive rounds. In casual rounds people seem to take more risks or let their concentration go after a shot they are hacked off about. If you five putt in a competive round and you can break 100 it is time for a putting lesson. I am average to just above as a putter and I don't think I have ever 5 putted and I haven't four putted in several years. As to the calculator I only average 3-4 GIR a round, 32-34 puts. I have an average of 1 birdie every other round, almost never on a par 4. So for my handicap balooned up to 16.1 by recent wind and heavy wet rough it is roughly accurate. I think it probably works better for steady eddies than bombers.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

I agree.

I don't know how anyone could possibly 5 putt. I think my 7 yr old daughter would be able to get it in the hole in less than 5 putts.

I don't think I have even 4 putted in two years.

In my bag:

Driver: Cleveland Hibore XL 9.5*
Hybrids: Cleveland HiBore 19*
Nike Slingshot 23*Irons: Titleist 775 CBWedges: Titleist Vokey 54.10 Callaway X-Tour 58.12

Note: This thread is 6128 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!