IGNORED

Maxfli U/3 Golf Ball Review

Note: This thread is 3626 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Maxfli U/3 Golf Ball Review

I have not seen too many reviews on the new Maxfli Urethane golf balls so I thought I would add my two cents for the greater good. This is a tweener ball; it is not as good as a premium golf ball, but its way better than a bargain golf ball. I bought a 12 pack of the U/3 for about 25 dollars from Dicksporting Goods; which is not bad compared to the price of other (tweener) mid-range balls, NXT Tour, Hex Chrome, & Penta TP3, just to name a few.

I have played two rounds with the U/3, and I have to say that I am pretty impressed with the performance of the ball. It’s no ProV1 or ProV1x, but that’s why Maxfli created the U/4 and U/4x. My average drive is about 250y, and that’s about what I was hitting with the U/3; the ball went straight most of the time, but when I needed a draw or fade the ball responded. Iron play was not bad either, no loss or gain of my average yardages. Where the U/3 excels is the short game; from 120y’s in to the green this ball performs. Due to price I seldom play a spin ball such as the Prov1, Pent TP5, or a Hex Black; I will usually play a NXT tour, HX bite, Top-flight V2, or a Q Star; which all offer” a little” spin. When I used my wedges I could make the U/3 check up hard on the green with one to two bounces, and when I really went at it I could make the ball spin back 10 to 15 inches. Due to the spin on the ball I was able to go at pin locations pretty hard.

Again, the Maxfli U/3 performed really well, I was very impressed with the ball as far as short game spin. Now, it all comes down to comparisons when discussing Maxfli golf balls, the company seems to try and refresh their products and status in the industry about every 2 years (remember the Maxfli HT tour). I would COMPARE the Maxfli U/3 to the Taylormade TP Black LDP, but the U/3 feels just a little softer. For the price and the performance the U/3 can’t be beat; I am definitely going to buy another box soon.

Last, the ball uses a urethane cover, it does not have the longevity of a NXT tour, one ball will last about one round before replacing the ball. I played two rounds and went through a sleeve of balls, one ball after each of my two 18 hole rounds, and 1 ball in the water after a terrible drive on hole eight.

Driver: Taylormade R11's 10.5

4 Wood: Taylormade R11's

4 Hybrid: Taylormade Rescue 11

Irons 4-PW: Taylormade 2009 Tour Preferred

Wedges: Taylormade XFT Z, 50, 54, 58

Putter: Odyssey white ice #7

Before you buy another dozen, Dicks has 6-packs of the U4s on sale for $15. I have been taking advantage of this deal for a couple months now. They are a great ball for this price. Just like the PV1 line, the U4x is a little firmer, less spinny, and a little longer off the driver, while the U4 is soft as heck and spins like a twirling dirvish. Even with chips and short pitches you can go all the way back to the pin if you hit it cleanly. I have to get a few dozen of these before the sale ends.

BTW, this thread belongs in the 'BALLS, Carts/Bags, Apparel, Gear' forum?

dak4n6

Originally Posted by dak4n6

Before you buy another dozen, Dicks has 6-packs of the U4s on sale for $15. I have been taking advantage of this deal for a couple months now. They are a great ball for this price. Just like the PV1 line, the U4x is a little firmer, less spinny, and a little longer off the driver, while the U4 is soft as heck and spins like a twirling dirvish. Even with chips and short pitches you can go all the way back to the pin if you hit it cleanly. I have to get a few dozen of these before the sale ends.

BTW, this thread belongs in the 'BALLS, Carts/Bags, Apparel, Gear' forum?

I might wait a little while, the U/4's and the U/3's may go down in price within the next few months, those golf balls aren't selling that well right now (at the DICKSPORTS store I go to). I asked the golf pro at the store how are Maxfli U series selling, she said "It's a pretty good ball, but we can't move em."

Driver: Taylormade R11's 10.5

4 Wood: Taylormade R11's

4 Hybrid: Taylormade Rescue 11

Irons 4-PW: Taylormade 2009 Tour Preferred

Wedges: Taylormade XFT Z, 50, 54, 58

Putter: Odyssey white ice #7

• 2 weeks later...

For those interested in the U4 and U/4x, they have the 6 packs on sale for $10 now. I might grab some on my way home; not sure as I'm fairly pleased w/ my current ball (hx diablo tour) which I buy from lostgolfballs for $12/dozen.

• 1 year later...

I just played two rounds with the 2014 U/3 and had some interesting results.  Last year I played the Gamer Tour primarily, and to a lesser degree the RBZ U and was happy with both balls.  For comparison purposes, I have an 85-90 driver SS and about an 18 HCP, so not all of my shots are as consistent as I would like them to be.  With that in mind, here are my findings so far:

- The U/3 is definitely longer for my swing speed for all clubs.  My drives were about 10-15 yards longer, and I was flying par 3's on a course that I play often.  I would describe the distance similar to or better than the old Gamer V2 (surlyn cover)

- The U/3 did not seem to hold the green quite as well as the Gamer Tour (GT) on some shots, on others it was great - probably (hopefully?)my inconsistency.

- The U/3 cover was more durable than the GT which can be a concern if you expect to play multiple rounds with a ball.  However, I typically will lose a ball or two during a round of 18 so the durability of the GT is not an issue.  I know some people have complained about the GT shredding on wedge shots.  Initially Top-Flite had advertized a more durable "improved" cover for the 2014 GT, but they seem to have backed off that claim.

- The U/3 does not spin on approach shots like a ProV1, nor did I expect or want it to (I tend to come up short with the ProV1)

- The cost of the U/3 is currently $20/.dozen, which is an absolute bargain for this level of ball.   The GT can be had for $17.50/dozen which is also great.

I still plan to work with the U/3 before committing for the rest of the season.  I am helped by the ability to have the ball check and then roll a short distance on shots from about 20 yards and less, which the GT does well.  I will get to a practice green and work on it and am pulling for the U/3.  The distance I got from the U/3 was a game changer for me allowing (forcing!) me to club down and my drives had me in a much better position.  Almost a convert!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I picked up a dozen of the U/6 LC the other day @ Dick's for $15! Looking forward to trying them out.  Good to hear though the U/3's are a good ball.  Once I blow through my current stash, maybe I'll buy a dozen.

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

i bought a couple of dozen of the thain U3 s to try. I was at Dicks where I normally buy my Gamers, I saw the deal on the Max Fli so I tried them. I am unimpressed. The Gamers feel softer and fly a bit further for me. I notice no difference on the greens other than the feel off the putter is better with the top flite. Just my opinion, but what I dislike the most about the U3 is it's too clicky of the club.

In my bag....

Bombtech Grenade driver. 10.5* Aldila DVS60 stiff, 45"

Ping i20 irons, ProjectX5.5. 5 thru PW.

Tour Edge 3 Hybrid, Adams A7 4Hybrid

Titelist SM4 52-8. 56-12

Cleveland RTX 60-12 wedge.

Tour Edge xcg5 15* 3 Wood

Cheap crappy Wilson putter that works as well as anything for me.

It's a work in progress, I've only been playing for going on two years or so.

Note: This thread is 3626 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!