Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kfredric

Maxfli U/3 Golf Ball Review

7 posts in this topic

Maxfli U/3 Golf Ball Review

I have not seen too many reviews on the new Maxfli Urethane golf balls so I thought I would add my two cents for the greater good. This is a tweener ball; it is not as good as a premium golf ball, but its way better than a bargain golf ball. I bought a 12 pack of the U/3 for about 25 dollars from Dicksporting Goods; which is not bad compared to the price of other (tweener) mid-range balls, NXT Tour, Hex Chrome, & Penta TP3, just to name a few.

I have played two rounds with the U/3, and I have to say that I am pretty impressed with the performance of the ball. It’s no ProV1 or ProV1x, but that’s why Maxfli created the U/4 and U/4x. My average drive is about 250y, and that’s about what I was hitting with the U/3; the ball went straight most of the time, but when I needed a draw or fade the ball responded. Iron play was not bad either, no loss or gain of my average yardages. Where the U/3 excels is the short game; from 120y’s in to the green this ball performs. Due to price I seldom play a spin ball such as the Prov1, Pent TP5, or a Hex Black; I will usually play a NXT tour, HX bite, Top-flight V2, or a Q Star; which all offer” a little” spin. When I used my wedges I could make the U/3 check up hard on the green with one to two bounces, and when I really went at it I could make the ball spin back 10 to 15 inches. Due to the spin on the ball I was able to go at pin locations pretty hard.

Again, the Maxfli U/3 performed really well, I was very impressed with the ball as far as short game spin. Now, it all comes down to comparisons when discussing Maxfli golf balls, the company seems to try and refresh their products and status in the industry about every 2 years (remember the Maxfli HT tour). I would COMPARE the Maxfli U/3 to the Taylormade TP Black LDP, but the U/3 feels just a little softer. For the price and the performance the U/3 can’t be beat; I am definitely going to buy another box soon.

Last, the ball uses a urethane cover, it does not have the longevity of a NXT tour, one ball will last about one round before replacing the ball. I played two rounds and went through a sleeve of balls, one ball after each of my two 18 hole rounds, and 1 ball in the water after a terrible drive on hole eight.

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Before you buy another dozen, Dicks has 6-packs of the U4s on sale for $15. I have been taking advantage of this deal for a couple months now. They are a great ball for this price. Just like the PV1 line, the U4x is a little firmer, less spinny, and a little longer off the driver, while the U4 is soft as heck and spins like a twirling dirvish. Even with chips and short pitches you can go all the way back to the pin if you hit it cleanly. I have to get a few dozen of these before the sale ends.

BTW, this thread belongs in the 'BALLS, Carts/Bags, Apparel, Gear' forum?

Originally Posted by dak4n6

Before you buy another dozen, Dicks has 6-packs of the U4s on sale for $15. I have been taking advantage of this deal for a couple months now. They are a great ball for this price. Just like the PV1 line, the U4x is a little firmer, less spinny, and a little longer off the driver, while the U4 is soft as heck and spins like a twirling dirvish. Even with chips and short pitches you can go all the way back to the pin if you hit it cleanly. I have to get a few dozen of these before the sale ends.

BTW, this thread belongs in the 'BALLS, Carts/Bags, Apparel, Gear' forum?

I might wait a little while, the U/4's and the U/3's may go down in price within the next few months, those golf balls aren't selling that well right now (at the DICKSPORTS store I go to). I asked the golf pro at the store how are Maxfli U series selling, she said "It's a pretty good ball, but we can't move em."

For those interested in the U4 and U/4x, they have the 6 packs on sale for $10 now. I might grab some on my way home; not sure as I'm fairly pleased w/ my current ball (hx diablo tour) which I buy from lostgolfballs for $12/dozen.

I just played two rounds with the 2014 U/3 and had some interesting results.  Last year I played the Gamer Tour primarily, and to a lesser degree the RBZ U and was happy with both balls.  For comparison purposes, I have an 85-90 driver SS and about an 18 HCP, so not all of my shots are as consistent as I would like them to be.  With that in mind, here are my findings so far:

- The U/3 is definitely longer for my swing speed for all clubs.  My drives were about 10-15 yards longer, and I was flying par 3's on a course that I play often.  I would describe the distance similar to or better than the old Gamer V2 (surlyn cover)

- The U/3 did not seem to hold the green quite as well as the Gamer Tour (GT) on some shots, on others it was great - probably (hopefully?)my inconsistency.

- The U/3 cover was more durable than the GT which can be a concern if you expect to play multiple rounds with a ball.  However, I typically will lose a ball or two during a round of 18 so the durability of the GT is not an issue.  I know some people have complained about the GT shredding on wedge shots.  Initially Top-Flite had advertized a more durable "improved" cover for the 2014 GT, but they seem to have backed off that claim.

- The U/3 does not spin on approach shots like a ProV1, nor did I expect or want it to (I tend to come up short with the ProV1)

- The cost of the U/3 is currently $20/.dozen, which is an absolute bargain for this level of ball.   The GT can be had for $17.50/dozen which is also great.

I still plan to work with the U/3 before committing for the rest of the season.  I am helped by the ability to have the ball check and then roll a short distance on shots from about 20 yards and less, which the GT does well.  I will get to a practice green and work on it and am pulling for the U/3.  The distance I got from the U/3 was a game changer for me allowing (forcing!) me to club down and my drives had me in a much better position.  Almost a convert!

I picked up a dozen of the U/6 LC the other day @ Dick's for $15! Looking forward to trying them out.  Good to hear though the U/3's are a good ball.  Once I blow through my current stash, maybe I'll buy a dozen.

i bought a couple of dozen of the thain U3 s to try. I was at Dicks where I normally buy my Gamers, I saw the deal on the Max Fli so I tried them. I am unimpressed. The Gamers feel softer and fly a bit further for me. I notice no difference on the greens other than the feel off the putter is better with the top flite. Just my opinion, but what I dislike the most about the U3 is it's too clicky of the club.