IGNORED

Do you put a lot of pressure on yourself to play well?

$2 Nassau
Note: This thread is 6143 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm not sure why but everytime I play it's like I'm trying to qualify for the US Open or something. I always have a number in my head of what I want to shoot that day ( most of the time it's realistic). I still have fun, but I certainly am hard on myself.

So what about you, do you put a lot of weight on your shoulders when you go out and play? Some feel pressure can be a good thing, leads to better concentration, focus, etc. For others it can be a game/score killer.

I put a ton of pressure on myself. I think that's a cause of I want to play in the lineup for my high school next year. (which is going to be a very great team...last year our scoring average was 37.7)..

And in the future I'd like to play D-3 golf in college...so yeah, I do put a lot of pressure of myself...but I never get THAT upset because I know I've only been playing golf for one year so I'm going to make mistakes.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

For some reason, yea I do. I'm strictly a recreational player and should realize that scores will vary, but if I have a bad day and my score starts creeping up toward 100 I get pretty frustrated. And of course the more frustrated you get the worse it is for your game. I was so frustrated Monday that I haven't even picked up a club since and I'm playing in a scramble Friday so I better get my stuff together. hehehe

I really never do, when I do I play much better. I just like to have fun, thats what its about for me.

MX500 9.5* S
Burrows Golf MAC Powersphere 3W
IDEA PRO Irons
Perfect Club 21*
IDEA PRO 3HSakamoto 54* X-tour 60* Newport 2 Pro Platinum Custom

Nah, not me. Maybe because I'm not trying to make a team, like you are (and good luck with that!!) or maybe because I've been involved in so many high pressure sports over the years (motorcycle racing all my life, and heavily into boxing and fencing for years now also) that standing over a little white ball on a beautiful day in the middle of a tranquil green field ( or in the middle of the right woods, lol ) is actually more relaxing than pressure filled.

Bag It:

3-Wood Wishon 525 F/D, 13*, Matrix Studio 65gm, Golf Pride Dual Compound
Hybrid: Wishon "321", 24*, MSF 85 HB, Winn DSI
Irons: Wishon 770CFE, Matrix Studio 74gm, Winn DSI

Putter: Odyssey DFX 2-Ball

Bag: Some big, honkin', ridiculous overkill of an Ogio cart bag with more pockets than I have teeth.

I tend to put a lot of preasure on myself as well.

I am reading Extraordinary Golf: The Art of the Possible. In the book, they talk about the things we think about, on the course, and how we, as golfers, put preasure on ourselves with those thoughts.

Fred and Pete Shoemaker write that instead of thinking about things like score or making a team or looking good in front of others, the shot thought should be "If I were to hit this shot how I wanted, how would that be?" (I am abbreviating of course) Once you figure that out, and create a picture in your head of ball flight, height and distance, and end location, now you are ready to swing.

Once that shot is over, forget about it, walk to your ball and start over, creating mental picture of the next shot you are going to take.

When I went out on the course with this thought, it helped me to block out other thoughts that usually put preasure on my game.

Has anyone else read this book?
Drive for show, putt for dough

PutterKarsten Anser2
WedgesX-Forged 52* 58*IronsX-20 tours P-3HybridX 21 stiff4-wood R9 17 mitsubishi rayon fubuki StiffDriver R9 11.5 mitsubishi rayon fubuki Stiff

I put pressure on myself not to get doubles, triples, and quads. But I get them anyway.

I don't remind myself of what score I have - or what I need to break (insert record here), otherwise I'll choke.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

• Administrator

I put pressure on myself, but it's the kind of pressure I like. I actually relax more when I'm playing in what most people would consider a pressure situation - a match, a cheap nassau, whatever.

So, maybe calling it "pressure" isn't the right thing, because "pressure" has negative connotations.

I think a lot, and I'm very, very picky. Even Ben Hogan said he only ever hit the ball just like he wanted two or three times per round. I'm about the same (no doubt he was pickier, of course). I get very involved in picturing the shot, and then trying to execute that type of shot. I derive no joy from a lucky break or a "UBE" shot (ugly but effective).

I figure that if I hit the ball close to the way I want to, the scoring will take care of itself. I've learned a long time ago that the instant the ball leaves the clubface (or putter face), what happens is out of my control. So, I put "pressure" on myself to make sure I control everything I _can_ control - mostly my mind and my pre-shot routine and, to some extent, the swing I put on the ball.

Outside of that, there's absolutely no pressure. You're just walking, after all.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I put pressure on myself not to get doubles, triples, and quads. But I get them anyway.

I play very similar to that. I focus on making pars and bogeys and keeping the dreaded doubles and triples out of reach. If that means teeing off with a 3-wood instead of driver, so be it. But one thing I've noticed, when you tell yourself that Bogey is a good score on a certain hole, then you're subliminaly opening yourself up to failure. Stay confident in your ability. Back on topic now - I put a tremendous amount of pressure on myself. I personally like pressure. I grew up playing competetive sports and I reallt thrive under pressure. I don't necessairly hit every shot better, but I manage to make a good score. For instance, I got up-and-down for par 6 times on the front 9 a few days ago. 6 times in 9 holes. Yeah it's pretty bad that I only hit 3 greens, but under the pressure of my playing partner making pars, I wouldn't let myself lose. I ended up getting beat, but I didn't beat myself. Under pressure, a persons true character and determination shines. It's a test of your will adn your ability. Personally I love it
What I play:
Cleveland HiBore XLS 9.5 Fujikura Stiff flex | Titleist 735.cm Stainless Steel True Temper S300 3-PW | Titleist Vokey GW 52 | Cleveland 588 SW 56 | Titleist Vokey LW 60 | Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless | Titleist Pro V1x

Where I play:
Texas A&M UniversityHow I play:Goals for 2008

Mine is a score killer, i put a ton of pressure onmyself and i take the fun out of the game. i think so much about to score cause I wanna just say that i got that and achieved that score, but really, what do you get out of shooting a good game? nothing really, pressure is bad.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

I play very similar to that. I focus on making pars and bogeys and keeping the dreaded doubles and triples out of reach. If that means teeing off with a 3-wood instead of driver, so be it.

I play for par on almost every hole. If I mishit a shot or land myself in trouble, I bring bogey into play. 9 out of 10 times I won't try a low-percentage recovery shot because it'll just land me in more trouble, and it's a quick ticket to a 7 or 8. My problem is when I follow up one bad shot with another, and another. It gets in my head, and I can't get it out.

I only play for birdie if it's a drivable par 4 or 5. (I expect to two-putt every time, at best.) Sometimes I expect an up or down, but I am lucky to two-putt from 10 feet.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

Good thread going on here. I personally put a lot of pressure on myself just to play well. When I started out in golf, I defintely concerned myself with my score and kept thinking ahead of holes instead of concentrating on the one I was on - and on some occassions even thought about what my final score would be if i shot (x) amount of strokes in the (x) amount of remaining holes. Personally for me, thinking ahead was the biggest battle I had. I read a golf quote, which I basically live by before every round I play. It went:
"The outcome is something that should not concern you when you are in the process of heading toward an outcome. Simply work with things as they are. The bottom line here is to believe in the power within us and use it without any questions as to why it works on one occassion versus any other"
I do put a lot of pressure on myself to play well, and I had my fair share of outbursts back in the day, but in the end, for recreational golfers, it's either you have your good days or your bad days!
Driver: Nike 9.5° SasQuatch SUMO²
Fairway Woods: Adams 16° Tight Lies 3 Wood
Hybrids: Adams 19° Idea Pro Hybrid
Irons: Callaway X-18 4-AW (Rifle 6.0 Precision)
Wedges: TaylorMade: 56/12 Degree RAC SatinPutter: Odyssey 34" Tri-Ball SRT PutterBall: Callaway HX HOTHome...

The part of golf I love is the mental aspect because in that way its like no other sport.

I used to put pressure on myself to shoot birdie on this hole or that hole because "its a short par 4" and you should birdie those kinds of holes. Then i end up making a bogey. Now I go into a round with an open mind and focus on each shot rather than what lies ahead. For me its the right way to play golf.

I put pressure on myself because i play golf to play well, im not like the 30 handicap who claims.. "Im just glad to get out on the course" I am, but i dont kid myself like that. I get disappointed when i hit bad shots, and try to learn from them, really thats all you can do.

: 905R 9.5*
904f 15*
Baffler DWS 20*
eye 2
spin milled 54*, Vokey 58* White Hot XG #9 Pro V1x

Way too much. I am a total type A when it comes to competition. I want to beat everyone I play and more importantly I want to play the best I can. I am like this with any sport. I played basketball at the college level and still play in a very competetive league in the winter. I do the same with bowling. My biggest problem is that my wife is my partner in both golf and bowling. We also bowl and golf with a lot of the same people. Most of whom are friends and family. I hear the "It's only for fun" line all the time. My response is if it's for fun, then why do we keep score and standings? The hardest part is that every night I am giving my opponent at least 3 shots at the start of the round. I have given as many as 21 this year. That is an added burden since I'm thinking on each hole how many am I up or down.

When I am plying with players that are better than me I am still competetive, but not as hard on myself as long as I shoot a decent score. I much prefer to play against better players as it pushes me to be better. Unfortunately I play the majority of my rounds with people who are worse than me. Some are just beginers.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

I put pressure on myself and I do not know why...I play a lot and you would think I had figured out that when I am loose and am having fun I play a lot better.

I usually play with the same people so I guess I put pressure on myself to beat them.

Keep it on the short grass.

I used to put a lot of pressure on myself to play well. When the rounds go south and you have that mind set you really start to get frustrated and its no longer fun.

I hardly ever put pressure on myself anymore. I'm out there to have fun. I have very good course management now and I've realized that for my handicap, bogey's are not bad scores. Just learn to play to your ability.

Driver: 9.5* SQ Sumo Stiff
3W: 15* SQ Stiff
Irons: 3-PW R7 Stiff Flex
GW: X Tour Vintage 52 11 bounce
SW: X Tour Vintage 56 13 bounceLW: X Tour Vintage 60 8 BouncePutter: Monza CorzaBall: HX Tour 56

Note: This thread is 6143 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!