IGNORED

Club sales at pro shops (Mizuno MP-59 for $650)

tefunk
Note: This thread is 4221 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I recently noticed some of the golf course pro shops around my area selling clubs at pretty nice discounts.  For example, the Mizuno MP-59 iron sets are on sale for only $650.  I've noticed they're still selling for $1,000 at all the major stores (Golf Galaxy, etc.).

I would think this could make sense because a pro shop would buy so much inventory and then try to dump it at the end of the year so they don't take a loss by sitting on inventory all winter, and have room for all the new products to come in the following year.  This is of course just a guess (based on how most businesses run).  Does anyone know for sure how this works?

My irons (MP-52s) are only a couple seasons old and in great shape, so I won't be picking up the MP-59s this time around, but it would be great to know how the pro shop sales generally work so I can plan on getting a solid deal a couple years down the road.

Not sure how it works, but I highly doubt a pro shop buys more than a big box retailer.

At my club we pay 10% over cost on all items - I am guessing they get away with it because we are a private club (anything not in stock we also pay shipping on)

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would assume it's because, like you said, they want to move stock. Some pro shops probably buy their club sets retail, and therefore are not bound by the same pricing rules as those that are associated with the companies themselves.

My bag:

Driver: G10 10.5* w/ Pro Launch Red Reg 

3 Wood: G10 w/ Pro Launch Red Reg 

18* and 21* hybrids: G10 with Pro Launch Red Stiff 

4-PW: Ping Eye 2 Irons w/ Reg GS 95 

56* and 60*: Tour-S Rustique Wedges w/ Stiff KBS Tour 

Putter: Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 

Mizuno and Titleist do not allow authorized resellers to advertise discounted pricing on their current model clubs.  What many resellers do to get around this is use an iron for demo then sell the set as used at a lower price.  If the set was sold and returned it could be discounted without violating the manufacturers Minimal Advertised Price rules as well.

Joe Paradiso

they are allowed to sell for whatever price they want. the mfg can set map pricing and czn set some consequences for advertising a price below map but retailors are free to sell their goods for whatever price they want as long as the price isnt advertised. the mfg can stop fufilling a retailor or take away back end funding for map violations but cannot collude on pricing at the pos

they are allowed to sell for whatever price they want. the mfg can set map pricing and czn set some consequences for advertising a price below map but retailors are free to sell their goods for whatever price they want as long as the price isnt advertised. the mfg can stop fufilling a retailor or take away back end funding for map violations but cannot collude on pricing at the pos

Originally Posted by tefunk

I recently noticed some of the golf course pro shops around my area selling clubs at pretty nice discounts.  For example, the Mizuno MP-59 iron sets are on sale for only $650.  I've noticed they're still selling for $1,000 at all the major stores (Golf Galaxy, etc.).

I would think this could make sense because a pro shop would buy so much inventory and then try to dump it at the end of the year so they don't take a loss by sitting on inventory all winter, and have room for all the new products to come in the following year.  This is of course just a guess (based on how most businesses run).  Does anyone know for sure how this works?

My irons (MP-52s) are only a couple seasons old and in great shape, so I won't be picking up the MP-59s this time around, but it would be great to know how the pro shop sales generally work so I can plan on getting a solid deal a couple years down the road.

Can you plan on a golf course pro shop having the specific irons you want left over at the end of a future season? It''s possible, but if you'r planning now, plan on paying full price just in case.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by tefunk

$650 for the MP-59's is a solid discount.  I paid ~ $1,100 by the time I got everything done on my MP-59 set this time last year.

Note: This thread is 4221 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!