IGNORED

Big Breaker Liam Friedman answers your questions!

mvmac
Note: This thread is 4143 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by MonarchGolf2010

Thanks for the question Jeff.

Michael Breed asked me about ball position on the show, and my most honest answer is, I put it wherever it feels comfortable (and produces results) that day.

But, on the show I said --which is still true-- is that I try not to vary my ball position, I only vary the width of my stance.  Meaning, my ball position is about even with my left armpit for all shots (just inside left heel), but my right foot gets wider with the length of the club.  So, long clubs I have a wider stance, and a narrower stance with shorter clubs.

Hope that answered your question.

Liam, this is a pretty interesting concept.  Did you pick this up on your own?  Or did Mario or another instructor teach you this (Maintaining ball position near the left heel/armpit - and simply widening the right foot placement as the club gets longer)?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by jashton88

I do have a question about your stance. When you are playing PW and shorter irons do you move your right foot forward in your stance slightly? Also for longer clubs including longer irons, hybrids, woods and drivers do you move your right foot back slightly in your stance?

Thanks for the question Jeff.

Michael Breed asked me about ball position on the show, and my most honest answer is, I put it wherever it feels comfortable (and produces results) that day.

But, on the show I said --which is still true-- is that I try not to vary my ball position, I only vary the width of my stance.  Meaning, my ball position is about even with my left armpit for all shots (just inside left heel), but my right foot gets wider with the length of the club.  So, long clubs I have a wider stance, and a narrower stance with shorter clubs.

Hope that answered your question.

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Liam, this is a pretty interesting concept.  Did you pick this up on your own?  Or did Mario or another instructor teach you this (Maintaining ball position near the left heel/armpit - and simply widening the right foot placement as the club gets longer)?

I just watched the show last night off my DVR and this is the piece I liked the best.  I am always a little unsure of my ball position lately, so I am going to try this out.  Thanks.

By the way, Liam and Mike ... WTF with the tee marker location on the very last swing from the video Mike posted up above?  Looks like they would almost force a bigger guy like myself to have his right foot in the rough behind the tee box.  I've never seen that before.

Thanks for the question Jeff. Michael Breed asked me about ball position on the show, and my most honest answer is, I put it wherever it feels comfortable (and produces results) that day.  But, on the show I said --which is still true-- is that I try not to vary my ball position, I only vary the width of my stance.  Meaning, my ball position is about even with my left armpit for all shots (just inside left heel), but my right foot gets wider with the length of the club.  So, long clubs I have a wider stance, and a narrower stance with shorter clubs. Hope that answered your question.

I appreciate the response Liam. I saw you mention that on the show and am planning to practice this way. What I meant specifically is illustrated in the image below, I just didn't do a good job describing the right foot placement. I know your ball position stays relatively the same and that you are widening your stance, but do you move your right foot like the illustration below? [IMG]http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j41/jashton9/9396289D-3DA1-44D6-9EA0-CD154110CFDD-3551-000003B96158E58B.jpg[/IMG] Thanks again, Jeff

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

By the way, Liam and Mike ... WTF with the tee marker location on the very last swing from the video Mike posted up above?  Looks like they would almost force a bigger guy like myself to have his right foot in the rough behind the tee box.  I've never seen that before.

I've played in tournaments in the past where they try and get every yard out of the course... I'm guessing this is what happened here?  But agree, it is a little silly.

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

I've played in tournaments in the past where they try and get every yard out of the course... I'm guessing this is what happened here?  But agree, it is a little silly.

The tee box in that last video was during a practice round, pretty sure.  So as not to tear up the box for the tournament proper.

Liam Friedman
PGA Assistant Golf Professional
Trying to make the TOUR
Contestant on Big Break: Greenbrier

Originally Posted by jashton88

I appreciate the response Liam.

I saw you mention that on the show and am planning to practice this way. What I meant specifically is illustrated in the image below, I just didn't do a good job describing the right foot placement. I know your ball position stays relatively the same and that you are widening your stance, but do you move your right foot like the illustration below?

Thanks again,

Jeff

Precisely!

Liam Friedman
Trying to make the TOUR

How do you deal with nerves? I imagine the big break must have been really intense, but for any big tournament in general, any techniques you use to calm down? It's always been an issue for me.

Originally Posted by walk18

How do you deal with nerves? I imagine the big break must have been really intense, but for any big tournament in general, any techniques you use to calm down? It's always been an issue for me.

The nerves on the show are different than in tournament golf, because there is no recovering from a bad shot.

To deal with nerves in a tournament, I try to recall good shots I've hit in similar situations, or try to dummy down the situation I am in.  For instance, if I have an important drive and need to hit the fairway, I remind myself how many times I have hit the fairway in my life, and that it is just another shot, nothing special.

It's almost important to breath calmly and slowly, and stick to your routine.  These techniques are very comforting and help to relax the body and mind.

If you have any other questions dealing with the mental game be sure to check out indaregolf.com

Liam Friedman
Trying to make the TOUR

Hey guys,

Been on the road so it has been tricky to get in front of a computer.

Here we go:

1. It was unreal to see Liam on TV and watch his hard work pay off! We had been talking about the show and what it would be like if he got on there during our college days...........

2. I wasn't so much nervous as I was screaming at the television!

3. Yes, his putting and we are working out some sequencing issues so that he doesn't tip his upper body excessively behind the golf ball through impact.

4. 5SK is a part of my teaching repertoire. The core of my teaching has always been to apply the club the way it is designed back to the ball at impact in the alignment that creates the desired ball flight.

Liam did a good job of describing what we are working on in his swing, but I am happy to answer questions more specifically. What are some things in Liam's motion that you might want to know about? What are some things about the swing/any part of the game you have questions about.....?

Shoot them over if you have them!

Originally Posted by MarioBevilacqua

2. I wasn't so much nervous as I was screaming at the television!

Yes I can attest to that

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarioBevilacqua

What are some things in Liam's motion that you might want to know about? What are some things about the swing/any part of the game you have questions about.....?

Shoot them over if you have them!

Here's a couple more questions that maybe you could elaborate on

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

What was it like when you first worked with Mario B? Were you already using a centered pivot and a one plane swing? Or was this a big change for you. What were the biggest changes for you with Mario?

How long have you worked with Mario and do you guys still work together?

What are you currently working on in your swing?

Thanks so much for fielding some of our questions BTW.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

This question is for both of you.

Can you talk a little bit about how you handle a slump?  For example, I assume that you guys go through periods where nothing seems to be working, and you can't seem to stop shooting 75 when you feel like you should be shooting 67.  (For me, add 10 to those numbers :))  Do you go out to the range and work and work and work until you figure it out?  Or, perhaps, do you advocate stepping back and spending a few days/weeks not playing at all?  Or something else altogether?

Thanks guys!

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

This question is for both of you.

Can you talk a little bit about how you handle a slump?  For example, I assume that you guys go through periods where nothing seems to be working, and you can't seem to stop shooting 75 when you feel like you should be shooting 67.  (For me, add 10 to those numbers :))  Do you go out to the range and work and work and work until you figure it out?  Or, perhaps, do you advocate stepping back and spending a few days/weeks not playing at all?  Or something else altogether?

Thanks guys!

This is a great question!

I have had two slumps that come to mind.  The first is why I started working with Mario.  I slumped so bad in college that I didnt even want to play golf.  But, when I get upset, I play golf.  So it was a catch 22.  I started working with Mario to better understand my swing and get a set of fundamentals I could rely on.

My second slump came this summer.  It was only a mimi slump, thankfully.  I rely on one shot shape, a fade, to get me through most of my rounds.  Although I can hit a draw when I want, I prefer not to do so.  Unfortunately, when I am playing poorly I get blue, and that adds to the slump.

So, to correct this slump I went back to basics.  First, I tried to find positives in all my rounds, to know that even though my scores don't reflect it, I am still improving.  Second, I recalled standard ball flight laws to figure out what was going wrong.  I can't see Mario all the time, so I would call him and we would discuss my thoughts and different feels I was trying.  Occasionally I would send him video, but I don't like relying on video.  I prefer only looking at it in person with Mario on the range.

Hope this helps!

Liam Friedman
Trying to make the TOUR

I forgot to say what my slump was.  I was not getting my trusty fade, and therefore it changed my game.  I went back to basics to figure out why the ball wasn't flying as I intended.

Liam Friedman
Trying to make the TOUR

This is a great question!

I have had two slumps that come to mind.  The first is why I started working with Mario.  I slumped so bad in college that I didnt even want to play golf.  But, when I get upset, I play golf.  So it was a catch 22.  I started working with Mario to better understand my swing and get a set of fundamentals I could rely on.

My second slump came this summer.  It was only a mimi slump, thankfully.  I rely on one shot shape, a fade, to get me through most of my rounds.  Although I can hit a draw when I want, I prefer not to do so.  Unfortunately, when I am playing poorly I get blue, and that adds to the slump.

So, to correct this slump I went back to basics.  First, I tried to find positives in all my rounds, to know that even though my scores don't reflect it, I am still improving.  Second, I recalled standard ball flight laws to figure out what was going wrong.  I can't see Mario all the time, so I would call him and we would discuss my thoughts and different feels I was trying.  Occasionally I would send him video, but I don't like relying on video.  I prefer only looking at it in person with Mario on the range.

Hope this helps!

Thanks Liam!  I like this attitude!  This is probably the biggest key for me right now, since I know I have a long ways to go.

Liam, I just wanted to send a quick line to say that I was very impressed with your episode with Michael Breed.  It was refreshing to see all that you talked about as it pertains to weight position, etc etc.

There are a lot of opinions on Michael Breed and his tips on the Golf Fix.  I think Michael is a great guy but some of his tips can fall into the category of the "old way" .. i.e. incorrect ball flight laws, etc.

How was Michael in person and after you two filmed that episode, what did he have to say about your weight forward approach to the swing (if you two talked about it?)

Btw - you were absolutely striping those fairway woods!

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

Liam, I just wanted to send a quick line to say that I was very impressed with your episode with Michael Breed.  It was refreshing to see all that you talked about as it pertains to weight position, etc etc.  There are a lot of opinions on Michael Breed and his tips on the Golf Fix.  I think Michael is a great guy but some of his tips can fall into the category of the "old way" .. i.e. incorrect ball flight laws, etc. How was Michael in person and after you two filmed that episode, what did he have to say about your weight forward approach to the swing (if you two talked about it?) Btw - you were absolutely striping those fairway woods!

Well thank you very much for your kind words. Michael is a really good guy and is actually very open to new ideas. Actually on his most recent golf fix he talked about ball position and made a comment that I have to believe I had some influence on. He made the comment that if you're weight is more forward, as should your ball position. So, he certainly had nothing derogatory to say. He seemed impressed with my action and he had kind words. Thanks for the question!

• Upvote 1

Liam Friedman
Trying to make the TOUR

Note: This thread is 4143 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!