IGNORED

What lob Wedge to get?

Note: This thread is 4201 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Good afternoon everyone,

Coming back to the game I read a lot about lob wedges I suppose i should be looking at getting one or more. The one I had years ago I sold I was never really to good with it then

So with all that and so many brands lofts and not even sure what bounce is,  out on the market and really not understand all the different numbers I was hoping to get some help from every one.

What should I start out with?

What is a good brand to get there are so many out there, my clubs are Callaway X20 graphite the only thing I keep when I stopped?

Do you need more then one?

It seems just in the few years I took off from the game there are a lot of changes in equipment.

Thanks for any and all help.

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

Hybrid's Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4.

Vokey Wedges SM5 Tour Chrome, 54*, 58*.

Putter Greyhawk, G25 4 wood, G25 Driver.

Quote:

and not even sure what bounce is

I'll start there. Simply put, bounce is the degree of the angle created at the place where the bottom of the sole of the wedge touches the ground and the leading edge of the club. To illustrate:

The greater the bounce angle, the more the club will have the tendency to "bounce" off the ground. Conversely, a lower degree of bounce will tend to cause the club to dig into the turf. Both low and high bounce wedges have their advantages. Generally speaking, clubs with a higher degree of bounce are easier to hit on full shots from good lies because there is less of a chance of catching it fat. On the other hand, clubs with lower bounce are easier to hit from tight lies and easier to hit around the greens. My personal lob wedge has 5 degrees of bounce. This is about as low as you can get from your local Golfsmith or Edwin Watts. You can find some online with even less bounce, but I wouldn't recommend it. If you are getting your first lob wedge, I would suggest a wedge with around 7-9 degrees of bounce.

Quote:

What should I start out with?

The general rule of thumb is to have 4 degrees of loft between all your wedges. Assuming your sand wedge is 56 degrees, you would want a 60 degree. If you have a 54 degree sand wedge, you might then want a 58 degree. 60 is the standard.

Quote:

What is a good brand to get there are so many out there, my clubs are Callaway X20 graphite the only thing I keep when I stopped?

The best thing to do is find the loft and bounce that you want, then find one that you like the look of. There are a number of companies that make great wedges. Practically every major clubmaker also makes wedges. Two of my wedges are Mizuno, the other is a Vokey. I prefer a forged wedge for the feel, but forged wedges aren't necessary.

Quote:

Do you need more then one?

No, not really. A few people have started carrying an additional lob wedge (usually 64 degrees), but I don't really see the point.

A lot of information, I know. Hopefully this helps.

• Upvote 1

Tyler Martin

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Here's an excellent video describing how bounce works.

My bag:

Driver: G10 10.5* w/ Pro Launch Red Reg 

3 Wood: G10 w/ Pro Launch Red Reg 

18* and 21* hybrids: G10 with Pro Launch Red Stiff 

4-PW: Ping Eye 2 Irons w/ Reg GS 95 

56* and 60*: Tour-S Rustique Wedges w/ Stiff KBS Tour 

Putter: Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 

Guys,

Thank you so much for all the information this all was a very big help in understanding all this.

One last question is the shaft flex, I see that there is a wedge flex shaft does this really matter?

Thank you again.

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

• Administrator

Read this thread as well: http://thesandtrap.com/t/57874/my-edel-wedges-or-super-bounce-and-why-its-good-for-you-or-the-sweet-spot-is-finally-in-the-right-place/ .

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Thank you for the link, they are really beautiful a bit costly.

I would like to see about a fitting but there only seems to be on place in LA Long Beach?

Is there any other places that you know about I do live in LA.

Thanks

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

Originally Posted by Audaxi

Here's an excellent video describing how bounce works.

I love this guy, could watch his vids all day. That's all.

Dave :-)

Originally Posted by Dave2512

I love this guy, could watch his vids all day. That's all.

I especially like the bit between 3:26 and 3:50 when he begins his sand wedge shell game. Obviously there's not much difference between a 10 and 13 degrees of bounce - at least to the naked eye.

Note: This thread is 4201 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!