IGNORED

Having a hard time hitting off grass

Note: This thread is 4193 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

+1

In my opinion the idea that you should never hit off mats is crap.  Just pay attention.  Sure a fat shot with your 6i might go 120 yds off mats where it would go 40 yds off grass, but 1) you should know the feel of a crisp iron vs. a fat one, like mfed said, a when you hit an iron crisp, you don't feel much impact when you strike the ball, and 2) if you have some idea how far you hit your clubs, you should know something is wrong when your 6i goes shorter than your PW.

I always felt that the problem with mats isn't with the grossly mishit shots that would make your 6i shorter than your PW, which would be an obvious indication of something wrong.

Rather, I feel it is in the slightly mishit shot where you just hit it fat. On grass, it would still be a fat shot, but on the mat, the club head glides along the ground (kind of like a slap shot in hockey) and then makes decent contact with the ball. The feel is definitely off, but if you judge your swing purely by the flight, you are led to believe that you hit a pretty decent shot, albeit slightly off the sweet spot. Then you go to the course and you're hitting it fat and thin all over.

I don't really have many options for grass ranges where I live, so I have learned to distinguish the feeling of crisp contact off a mat. It's definitely something you have to be consciously aware of, though. The important thing is to get the swing to bottom out in the same spot consistently.

My advice, since the OP has already scheduled lessons for his son, is to work with the pro and go from there. In the meantime, try to keep things light and fun. After all, isn't that why we play this game?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Every one has great advice and thank you all  I learn a little each time I read the threads.

Billchao you are so right, keep light and fun and maybe i will stick around this time. I just hate to see him get discuraged, but we play 9 tomorrow and if nothing else I am with my son so it really does not get any better then that!.

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

Hybrid's Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4.

Vokey Wedges SM5 Tour Chrome, 54*, 58*.

Putter Greyhawk, G25 4 wood, G25 Driver.

Note: This thread is 4193 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!