IGNORED

My Swing (brettwasbtd)

brettwasbtd
Note: This thread is 4185 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 5 years on and off with no consistency (see my reintroduction thread )

My current handicap index or average score is: non existent....don't play often enough, but looking to change that

My typical ball flight is: erratic

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: fat shots

I took lessons 3 years ago, the first few helped, the last really screwed me up.  I then stopped playing frequently.  Recently been watching a lot of Shawn Clements stuff online and I am a fan.  I can hit my shorter irons ok and with some consistency, but I have a real hard time with any of the longer irons, woods and I rarely even pull out my driver

Videos: No down the line shots, I will try to get some next time

6 iron - shots at 30 seconds and 1:10 (no editing software).  first shot went straight about 150 yards second was about the same distance with a slight fade 5-10yards off target

4 Iron - multiple shots, most fat, combination of hook/slice

"To ensure perfect aim, shoot first and call wherever the ball lands the target"

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

The first thing I would do is shorten your back swing. It should help you get the club on plane - on the down swing and increase your clean contact.

Thanks, that makes sense and I will try to incorporate it next time I swing.

"To ensure perfect aim, shoot first and call wherever the ball lands the target"

Finish your swing.  It's very important that you follow through all the way.  Looking at your right foot, it barely leaves the ground after you hit the ball.  You want your heel facing the sky at the end.  Throw your club out towards the target on your follow through and bring your body to practically face the target in the end.  However, don't get to quick to do it.  Make sure you get good impact and let your shoulders bring your head up and finish fully.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Always remember when making swing changes feel is not real.  Work on these changes in order.  Below is a drill that will help you.

Stephan Kostelecky

Golf Instructor

Youtube

Agree with SK golf (Stephan).  Here's some more info that might help with the extensor action/shorter arm swing

http://thesandtrap.com/t/62804/steady-head-drill-and-how-painting-mental-pictures-can-help-your-swing

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks all!  This gives me a good bit to work on!  I have always thought about trying to keep my left arm straight but hadn't thought about what the right arm is doing.  I will post back when I have some progress.  Much appreciated

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Camera has been having some problems so I haven't been able to film.  But I have incorporated a shorter backswing and been work on the extensor action, and a stronger grip.  In general I am getting much better contact and less dispersion/spray area in my shots.  I will continue to practice and hope to have some updated video sooner than later.  Thanks all!

Note: This thread is 4185 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!