IGNORED

Can big grips cause shanking along with slicing?

Note: This thread is 6142 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I remember asking in another thread if big grips where bad well I am finding out now.

My question is this. Can big grips cause shanking along with slicing. I couldn't do crap today on the course. I hit some PW shots but that was it. I hit my drives a little and 3 wood ok, but my irons with the new grips I couldn't do crap. Anyway I was wondering if this was common knowledge or what. Thats for the insight. Im very concerned.

Not sure. I guess if they are not appropriate for you they could cause some bad shots. I have medium sized grips on my clubs and have notice and big difference on the positive side as far as my grip pressure and comfort when addressing the ball and swinging the club. My hands are a little larger than average and I always had trouble with the standard grips.

I know that for me personally, bigger grips do not allow me to get the clubface square at impact. I had my driver regripped one time and went to the range and couldnt hit anything but a fade to a slice. I asked the cart boys about my grip and they had put an extra layer of tape on when they regripped my club.

New grip, one layer of tape= straighter drives for me
In My Bag:

Driver: taylormade.gif R11 TP 9˚ -Diamana Kai'li 65
Woods: cleveland.gif Launcher FL 13˚
Hybrids: titleist.gif909H 19˚, 24˚Irons: mizuno.gif MP-53  5-P Wedges:  mizuno.gif MP-T11 50, 54 titleist.gifBlack Nickel 58.08 Putter: cleveland.gifClassic Black Platinum #2 Ball: titleist.gif ProV1x -  Hole-in-one 4/17/09 www.colonialcountryclub.org

For me, a standard grip is too small and I end up trying to wring the club's neck out because I'm afraid of it flying down the fairway. It leads to sprayed shots and lost distance. Too big has never been a problem for me, but I've heard it'll cause a slice - don't know how a larger grip could bring the hosel into play, though.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

For me, a standard grip is too small and I end up trying to wring the club's neck out because I'm afraid of it flying down the fairway. It leads to sprayed shots and lost distance. Too big has never been a problem for me, but I've heard it'll cause a slice - don't know how a larger grip could bring the hosel into play, though.

Yeah I was funking shanky mcshankerson. I seriously hit 50% of my irons off the hosel. It made for a wonderful day of golf. I snapped a club because I was so horrible. I was irrate. Anyway I just wondering if there was anything documented or if it was common knowledge that big fat grips could lead to shanks and slices. Infact if I ever get a sweet boat/yacht I am going to name it shanks and slices.

A case of the shanks happen. Earlier this year I shanked an entire bucket of balls, and it was embarassing. It wasn't the dribbler kind, it's the one that starts out 45 degrees to the right and curves further, if it's on the course, invariably into trouble.

They come and go. Try this drill to fix shanks, as well as outside-in/inside-out swings. Put a 2x4 lengthwise about two inches on the far side of the ball, and swing away. If you bring the hosel into play, or don't have a straight swing, your club will want to hit the board. (Toeing is another issue: if so put the 2x4 on the inside.) Like this:
None
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

Can oversized grips cause a shank? No, that would be a problem in the swing, perhaps taking it too far to the inside on the way back. Slicing, maybe. As part of a fitting process, you should get your grips fitted properly. If you go to Ping's website, they have the measurements you can take to determine the proper sized grip needed.

Ping G 410 10.5 ˚ Driver Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 14.5˚ 3 Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 19˚ Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
i 500 irons 4-UW 1/2 inch over, blue dot, NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff Shafts
Ping Stealth Wedges Wedges  54˚ 58˚

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 34" 

A case of the shanks happen. Earlier this year I shanked an entire bucket of balls, and it was embarassing. It wasn't the dribbler kind, it's the one that starts out 45 degrees to the right and curves further, if it's on the course, invariably into trouble.

technically, too large of grips can cause a slice. as stated above, you may find that the club face does not turn all the way.

but, if you're like me, it could just be that you have a defective swing. :)
What's in the bag... ( Revolver)

Driver: Big Bertha Diablo 8*
3 Wood: 4DX Fairway 15*
3I-PW: X20 Tours (Rifle Project X Flighted 6.0)Wedges: CG12 Black Pearl 50* 54* SM Vokey X-Forged 58* C GrindPutter: Classic #2 66* lieBalls: Various

Note: This thread is 6142 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!