IGNORED

Can I add 5-7+ yards by updating my driver head and keeping the same shaft?

Note: This thread is 4131 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have mentioned this in another post, but I'm hoping to get some feedback from other members.

I want to know if clubhead technology in drivers has plateaued, or if I can add length to my drives simply by getting a newer driver head while keeping the same shaft.  I have heard that increases distance (in terms of equipment) is coming more from shaft and golf ball technology now, and driver head tech peaked 4-5 years ago.

My Dad gave me a Hyper X driver 3-4 years ago.  I put a UST Proforce V2 77 gram shaft in it, and still can't find another driver I hit better.  I've recently done a driver fitting.  I tested the Rocketballz, RAZR Fit, Cleveland Classic, etc. and my numbers were no better (in some cases worse) than my Hyper X.  I had some prize money to burn in my club's pro shop so I was hoping to use the fitting as validation to buy a new driver, but alas it did not help.  Although one thing that I didn't like (about my fitting) was the fact that I couldn't try other drivers with the same shaft I currently use.  If I do get a new driver I intend to put the same shaft in it, and I couldn't do an apples-to-apples comparison since Golf Galaxy couldn't use "my shaft" in different driver heads. I wanted to see if I could gain distance simply by changing the clubhead.

Not that it really matters, but my avg SS is right at 100mph, my ball speed was about 148 (I think), spin rates were <2000, and avg distance was 280-285.  I hit my driver pretty well, but I don't feel like I avg 280-285 in reality.  Probably more like 260-275 range.  Either way, none of the other drivers produced noticably better stats.

In other words, could I (or anyone) gain an avg. 5-7+ yards simply by updating my driver head and keeping the same shaft?  I asked the certified PGA master pro about that, and he couldn't really give me a clear answer.  Any thoughts?

Driver:       Cobra AMP Cell - Blue

Fairway:    TM Rocketballz Stage 2  *17
Hybrids:    Callaway X2 Hot 19* and 22*
Irons:        Mizuno MX-23 5-PW
Wedges:   Cleveland 588  51*, 56*, 60*

Putter:      Scotty Cameron GoLo Customized

Ball:          Srixon Z Star (2013)

I am in a similar situation with my driver which is much older but I think the answer to your question is asking yourself whether you would seriously benefit from a few extra yards? Given that you are a single digit handicap you can probably drive the ball pretty far (and according to the stats you posted) and with consistency thus your return on investment would be minimal. There is not much difference between a 133-135 yd and 140 yd approach shot providing both a from the fairway.

I have read on here that driver technology did plateau several years ago (someone on here can be more specific) and that if your driver was built within the past five years you would not gain much if anything by changing the head. I can also appreciate wanting a nice new driver as well and so if you can afford and want one then go for it and make sure to post a picture of it.

It would depend on the design difference between driver head A and B, and how each meshed with your swing.

You would just have to get on the launch monitor with each shaft + head combination, and hopefully on course, and see which one worked better.

I am a kindred spirit to Derek . I played a 10.5* HyperX Tour driver with R shaft for about four years. I switched out last spring to the RazrFit, main benefit being the shaft is 10 grams lighter, and has a low vs. mid kickpoint - I get more consistent distance with the RazrFit.

Before that the HyperX Tour equaled or outdid various newer Razr Hawk, Octane, Burner and Titleist offerings. Just depends on what works for you.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I jokingly tell guys playing the newer King Cobra drivers (last 3 years) that they are playing illegal clubs. Seems they go a country mile with a smooth and not so fast swing. Not sure if it is the shaft, driver head, or both. (I own and use two Callaway Drivers so I am not biased, maybe jealous though ). So if you have a Golf Galaxy or Golfsmith nearby, see if you can demo a King Cobra to see if it's longer.

Originally Posted by CanuckAaron

I am in a similar situation with my driver which is much older but I think the answer to your question is asking yourself whether you would seriously benefit from a few extra yards? Given that you are a single digit handicap you can probably drive the ball pretty far (and according to the stats you posted) and with consistency thus your return on investment would be minimal. There is not much difference between a 133-135 yd and 140 yd approach shot providing both a from the fairway.

I have read on here that driver technology did plateau several years ago (someone on here can be more specific) and that if your driver was built within the past five years you would not gain much if anything by changing the head. I can also appreciate wanting a nice new driver as well and so if you can afford and want one then go for it and make sure to post a picture of it.

While I do agree with your point above, I guess I'd be most concerned with giving myself a better chance to hit par 5 greens in two.  5-7 yards can mean the difference b/w pulling out a hybrid vs. a 3 wood to go at the green and can make a difference.

Driver:       Cobra AMP Cell - Blue

Fairway:    TM Rocketballz Stage 2  *17
Hybrids:    Callaway X2 Hot 19* and 22*
Irons:        Mizuno MX-23 5-PW
Wedges:   Cleveland 588  51*, 56*, 60*

Putter:      Scotty Cameron GoLo Customized

Ball:          Srixon Z Star (2013)

whatever you do, you will have to make sure that the tip size on the proforce will fit in the new driver head you get.

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 4131 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!