IGNORED

Query About Whether to Get Lessons

Note: This thread is 6140 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm playing tomorrow, and while I played excellently last time, I'm still worried about my performance. Ever since I first pulled by back and then got a form of tendinitis on my elbows called Golfer's Elbow, I haven't been the same since I returned from injury. I've been very inconsistent. Some days I'll be myself and shoot in the 90's, but then there will be days where I can't even strike the ball without messing up and I'll hit 100-105. Yes, I know I suck, golf only became an important hobby to me less than a year ago.

I recently received my Golf Galaxy membership card in the mail and it came with two coupons, one for a free ten minute swing analysis. This got me into thinking, should I get lessons at GG? Would they help me get better and remain consistent?

I've been supposedly having trouble keeping the club face square as well as having a consistent swing, tempo-wise among other points of interest. My dad is like 54 and has been playing since his early twenties, he's a single digit handicapper. He can almost always pinpoint the flaws in my game and tell me what I'm doing right and wrong, but the only thing is he, nicely put, is a very bad teacher. My dad isn't the most sensitive guy, even to his son, so he doesn't appreciate my learning process and gets frustrated in teaching me after only a mere few errors.

So, I have a few questions.

Has anyone been trained at Golf Galaxy before? What type of pricing is there? Do you go weekly, monthly, etc?

There is also a Golfsmith somewhat stupidly placed about 100 yards from the Golf Galaxy I go to, do they have Pros there? Are they any better?

And most importantly, is my game likely to be helped enough by these teachers to validate the time and more chiefly, money spent?

If it matters, I played two days ago and I had a usual round for me. I hit my driver between 250-300 yards, but not really accurate. I'm lucky I'm stronger than your normal 15 year old or else I'd have nothing going for me. I killed my Hybrid, hit that about 200 upwards. As always with me, I was afraid to talk my 7 Wood out of my bag in fear that I would not hit the ball well, which I don't think I have ever done at the course, only at the range. My irons were so-so. I hit some of the longer ones, usually 4, 5, and 6 pretty normally, but the 7, 8, 9, and Pitching Wedge were inconsistent and inaccurate. I couldn't hit it out of the sand to save my live, sand outs are something I really need to work on. Putting was normal for me, mostly 2 or 3 putts. I just need to practice every weekend like I am and I assume that will better with time.

Thanks to everyone for any advice and the time you spent reading this, I just really want to get better.
What's in my Mizuno Aerolite Stand bag:

r7 460 10.5*, stock Stiff Flex Shaft
CLK Fli-Hi 17* hybrid, Prolaunch Blue Stiff shaft
Slingshot Tour 21*, DGS300 shaft Baffler DWS Hybrid 26*, Aldila NVS-HL shaft MP-60 5-PW DG S300 shafts Tour Action 900 54*/12* WedgeVokey Spin Milled 58*/08* Wedge...

Here is my two cents.

Doesn't matter where you go, you need to evaluate the Pro based on his or her merits, not where they work at. Skill degree will vary no matter where you go. I just read this someplace (Golf Digest maybe?) "Finding a golf pro is like finding a mate". You need to make sure that your personalities mesh.

My other concern about taking a lesson in one of the places you mentioned is that both stores almost certainly have cages or simulators you will be hitting in. I love technology, and I like to see all of the stats of a launch monitor, but I think when you are learning the ability to watch the flight path of your ball is invaluable. The only way to see that, is to hit the ball outside. I have taken a lesson at both types of places and I would say the outdoor lessons were much more beneficial.

No matter what, I think you benefit from lessons. Good luck.
"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree , is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents"

-Nathaniel Bornenstein

Hmm....Well I suppose I'll have to look into each of the pros at the store to see which is seemingly better, and since I have a coupon for a free 10 minute evaluation at Golf Galaxy I'll be able to see how I like that guy.

Thanks for the advice so far.

Slingshot Tour 21*, DGS300 shaft Baffler DWS Hybrid 26*, Aldila NVS-HL shaft MP-60 5-PW DG S300 shafts Tour Action 900 54*/12* WedgeVokey Spin Milled 58*/08* Wedge...

I would defineatly would get lessons. It's worth every penny.

Driver: 10.5* SuperQuad TP 1st Edition All Black V2 Stiff
5 Wood - 585.h 19* DG S300
Irons: 3-PW S59 Stiff
Wedges: Rac TP 52*, 60* MP-T 56*
Putter(s): Anser 3 TP Black ballGET TO SINGLE DIGITS!Goal: Beat a certain admin that lives in my town

Lessons changed my golf life.
Take lessons!
WITB

Callaway FT-5 11°
Callaway X-HOT 15°
Sonartec HB-001 19° & 23°Callaway X-22 5-PWTitleist Vokey 200 Series 52°Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 56°Titleist Vokey Special Grind 60°Scotty Cameron Mizuno M-100

Well then, if golf lessons really help that much I'll definitely look into getting them. I would just like to strike the ball consistently as well as continue hitting the ball far and I'll be happy, I hope whatever I get can help that. I guess sometime soon I'll go into Golf Galaxy and use the free 10 minute evaluation I have to see how I like the pro there.

Hi Arsenal -

I'm not too far from you (grew up in Wayne, now live in Sussex County but drive down 23 every day to work), and am in a similar golf situation. I just took up the sport late last year. I decided to start by taking lessons, but not from one of the department stores. Following some personal recommendations I went to the driving range over on Rt.23 North in Pompton Lakes (just north of Wayne, just before you get to the motorcycle dealership and the A&P;). It used to be called "Golf Worx", but just changed hands and is now called "Rt.23 Golf" I think.

Anyway, the head instructor there is Sal Vitale, whom I've seen quoted in Golf Magazine once in a while. Because of my schedule I ended up taking lessons from one of his other instructors, Roger Race.

Instructions really benefitted me, and did so immediately. A good instructor can not only spot swing flaws, but can clearly describe them (and their fixes) to you. Mr. Race was very good at that. I don't know about the Golf Galaxy academy personally, but I understand they tend to try to mold their pupils into a "system". The instructor I had watched my swing first, then tried to keep me doing the things I was already doing well intact while he corrected the flaws he found. And that produced very good results for me by the end of my six lesson plan.

I'm not sure what the mega-store rates are, but I paid $250 for that six lesson course (50 bucks a lesson, get one free if you buy 5).

(BTW, I developed Golfers' Elbow also after practicing like a maniac day after day after day. On the advice of my doctor I got an Air Cast elbow brace (15 dollars at Golfsmith on rt.46 http://www.golfsmith.com/products/239606 ) and began taking ibuprofen a couple of times a day. Seems to be helping the symptoms. You might want to check that out with your doc also.)

Good luck to you, whatever you decide on!

Tom

Bag It:

3-Wood Wishon 525 F/D, 13*, Matrix Studio 65gm, Golf Pride Dual Compound
Hybrid: Wishon "321", 24*, MSF 85 HB, Winn DSI
Irons: Wishon 770CFE, Matrix Studio 74gm, Winn DSI

Putter: Odyssey DFX 2-Ball

Bag: Some big, honkin', ridiculous overkill of an Ogio cart bag with more pockets than I have teeth.

I'd recommend lessons as well, but take the advice with a grain of salt and trust your instincts. I've taken lessons from all kinds, from the local range pro to some top ranked ones (based on major golf publications and tv appearances - Mike Hebron for example) and my experience is that you do alot more figuring out than you think you would and, yes, you can't buy a game, but a pro will go a long way to getting you there.

I am in favor of getting videotaped - some aren't - you can go too far with video, but you should try it just to see how you look at impact and the general path of you swing.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'll be sure to consider that Sherpat, I have indeed been to that place several times...I have also heard about Vitale, I did hear good things. That pricing doesn't seem too bad, I'll have to check who the professionals are at Golf Galaxy and Golfsmith and then compare the rates I suppose.

And as far as I know, they videotape you at both of the Golf stores but not the range that Sherpat was referring to, so I guess that's another factor in the decision.

Lessons are the only way to go, but there are no magic fixes. It will take time and commitment to get to a higher level. I have been taking lessons from the same pro for two years now and can see a huge difference in my game this year, but with all honesty the first 6 months or so my game went downhill a little. Take lessons, commit to improve, and you'll be home free.

Hey and if you find a REALLY good pro he can talk you into taking down that Arsenal Avatar and putting up a Notts Forest one instead

Driver - TaylorMade R9 460 10.5°
3 Wood - TaylotMade Burner Tour
3 & 4 Hybrids - Adams a7
Irons - R7 tp 5-PW
Wedges - Vokey SM Black Nickel - 52º - 56º - 60ºPutter - Scotty Cameron California - SonomaSkyCaddie - SG4Lowest Round - 68 - Par 72 /67.6/120Lowest Tournament Round - 69 -...

Yeah, but to be honest right now on the week-to-week basis my game is all ups and downs anyway so I am ready to take the time to stay commited to getting better with whatever pro I choose to teach me.

Haha, I don't know if I'd be satisfied with any Nottingham Forest pro.

Note: This thread is 6140 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!