IGNORED

What Did You Learn From Last Week's Winner on the PGA Tour?

Jhwarren
Note: This thread is 4057 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

That is a whole ****load of good stuff right there. Instant favorite!

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Besides Brandt's no nonsense great swing, players can also learn a lot from his pace of play.  Not only between shots but also when he gets over a shot.  I see too many amateurs get lined up and stand over a shot for way too long.  I can just imagine all the swing thoughts going on in their heads.  Do your thinking behind the ball and they line up and swing.  One swing thought during a swing is ok... 10 is not.  Just my opinion.

I learned that John Merrick, winner of the Northern Trust (LA Open) is a home town boy here in Socal... And was the first LA resident to win the LA Open.

I also find it interesting that John Merrick is coached by Jamie Mulligan (who also coaches Peter Tomasulo, John Mallinger and Patrick Cantlay) here in Long Beach.  I don't really know much about Jamie - and the swing pattern that he teaches, but from what I've read - he doesn't get very technical with his students.  It is a lot of feel and rhythm golf.  Not so much geometry based.  Sounds more of the 'old school' instructional camp to me?

Here is a John Merrick swing that I could find (camera placement looks positioned too far left):

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Sounds more of the 'old school' instructional camp to me?

I'll be nice, say yes and leave it at that.

Here's another view.  Grip stands out to me

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• 4 weeks later...

Kevin Streelman has big #$@! balls!  He hit some very gutsy shots yesterday... The 5i at #13 was sick.  Especially under that kind of pressure.

Here is a nice video Trackman posted.

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Kevin Streelman has big #$@! balls!  He hit some very gutsy shots yesterday...The 5i at #13 was sick.

Exactly my thoughts.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Couple swings I got of Streelman at the US Open.  Yesterday it looked like he was making practice swings loading the shaft more shallow on the backswing.  He does tend to get more steep (shaft angle) than most pros so I guess he wants it to load more shallow so doesn't have to re-route it as much on the downswing.  Also ties into the video Beach put up in regards to getting the hands down, not getting the club too far inside the hands and controlling the overtaking rates.  It's a good swing to watch, I like how he allows things to "gather" on the backswing and then just rips it.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

You guys are right about Russel Henley being a fast player. I followed him at a Web.com event and he WAS fast! What I took away from last week was from Streelman. GIRs! Need to work on my irons to improve my GIRs. He was hitting greens and making it look easy on a pretty tough course. He finished bogey free thru 2 rounds! It is a lot harder to bogey when your iron work is getting you on for a shot at birdie.

- Jered

Note: This thread is 4057 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!