IGNORED

Hogan Apex 5 shafts on 1998 Apex clubs

Note: This thread is 4102 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Arrrrgh - wrong subject for this forum - please ignore the subject. Sorry...

Anyways, I practice with regular steel and stiff steel shafts. I get more distance with a stiff shaft.

I am about to try a x stiff shaft from 1998.

What would typically happen when hitting a stiffer shaft with a too low swing speed?

When hitting my regular graphite shafts, my shots get way too much height. A pro seeing my shots instantly came over to talk about new clubs, fitting, etc. Off-season makes creative...

Originally Posted by Hollister

What would typically happen when hitting a stiffer shaft with a too low swing speed?

When hitting my regular graphite shafts, my shots get way too much height.

In purely physical terms, not much difference I think, at least between single flex codes.

1. Maybe a little less delivered loft, but less difference than you'd see bending an iron 1* or 2*. Depending on your swing, you might not see any difference at all in terms of loft. Not a big issue in middle and short irons - but less margin for error at the longer end of the set.

2. Clubhead speed should not change - unless the stiffer shaft is also considerably heavier.

3. Shots, especially mishits, are going to feel harsher with the stiffer shaft.

4. The biggest difference in performance, I think, is almost psychological, where either the feel of the stiffer shaft, or even just the idea that you're playing a harder shaft, encourages you to make a harder swing - perhaps harder than is really optimal. Timing and co-ordination are liable to suffer, and I think this is where, occasionally, you hear people saying that a change of shaft yielded a few mph of clubhead speed. Where a shaft is much too stiff, there's a danger of getting caught in a vicious circle passing through points 3 and 4.

Then again, not everyone is profoundly affected by the feel of the shaft if they don't know its actual flex. I play either R or S happily - and to be honest, I don't really perceive much difference. I've never knowingly hit an X flex, although I've had a couple of woods where I've suspected the shaft of being way too stiff for me and they were always horrible to hit and I never felt like I could put a good swing on them.

Lastly, I don't know about the 1998 vintage, but in Hogan's vintage years - their Apex 5 shaft was an out and out beast. Lots of folk considered the 4 equivalent to DG X.

Lastly, I don't know about the 1998 vintage, but in Hogan's vintage years - their Apex 5 shaft was an out and out beast. Lots of folk considered the 4 equivalent to DG X.

The Apex 5's up until about the mid 80's was rebar stiff. Some of the Bounce Sole's I have are Apex 5 and I am forced I am not man enough to hit them. 1998 is more inline with today's stiffness.

Michael

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by birlyshirly

3. Shots, especially mishits, are going to feel harsher with the stiffer shaft.

4. The biggest difference in performance, I think, is almost psychological, ...

Thanks! I am practicing with Apex 3 shafts (Apex ftx and 2003) and an Apex 4 shaft (1988) - and always with the 6i. The Apex 3 2003 ball flight is way too high, compared to the other clubs. The Apex 4 with a 2* lower lofted 6i has the same or slightly more distance than the Apex 3 ftx 6i. That was the reason for this post...

Re 3. Oh yes, repeated a shank prone move and stopped trying after the fifth to protect my hands from stupid ideas.

Re 4. Maybe. I was amazed that I was able to hit the 1988 Apex Redline clubs at all. OK, hitting the 1i is a different matter... I usually play GI irons with regular graphite shafts (2001 Apex Edge).

I am happy then that I survived the blade Apex 4 challenge - I find the shaft playable. Trajectory with range balls seems OK. Dispersion is way less and distance is farther compared to my GI/graphite set. Hmm, I might go try my 1988 on the golf course then. I bought the 1-9 set for $60 to have a few hard to hit practice clubs.

BTW, the ftx and the 1988 weigh nearly the same - OK, the 1988 is 10 grams / 0.4 ounces heavier.

Originally Posted by colin007

Playing a too stiff shaft will make the ball tend to go low and right.

Huh, trajectory is OK. I hit occasional 15 yard pushes before, now the tend to be 10 yards max.

I think I try to get a fitting session (for free) - Spring sales season comes to a range/shop near me very, very soon. And I might try to pick up a 1999 Apex club with #5 x stiff shafts.

Note: This thread is 4102 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!