IGNORED

How bad am I?

Note: This thread is 4068 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've only been playing 2 years, but have played ALOT in those 2 years.    The one thing that I can give you is to SLOW it down.     We all see so many high hcp players with super fast out of control swings trying to kill the ball.    Take a nice easy backswing, and focus on hitting the ball where you want it to go.    Distance will come - where you're at, it's all about making solid contact.    Slow things down and hit the ball perfect, then and only then, ramp it up & gain distance.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by inthehole

I've only been playing 2 years, but have played ALOT in those 2 years.    The one thing that I can give you is to SLOW it down.     We all see so many high hcp players with super fast out of control swings trying to kill the ball.    Take a nice easy backswing, and focus on hitting the ball where you want it to go.    Distance will come - where you're at, it's all about making solid contact.    Slow things down and hit the ball perfect, then and only then, ramp it up & gain distance.

That is great advice. Proper contact should be your first and foremost priority at all times. You'll do MUCH better with a half swing and good solid contact than you'll ever do with a big wild swing and glancing blow! When the wheels come off I always slow it down and concentrate on making good contact even if that means half swings. You'd be surprised at how far you can hit a ball with a half swing when your hitting the ball first with the sweet spot.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

That is great advice. Proper contact should be your first and foremost priority at all times. You'll do MUCH better with a half swing and good solid contact than you'll ever do with a big wild swing and glancing blow! When the wheels come off I always slow it down and concentrate on making good contact even if that means half swings. You'd be surprised at how far you can hit a ball with a half swing when your hitting the ball first with the sweet spot.

In reference to the bold part...This is so true.  Imagine my surprise when I won the longest drive at my clubs last outing!!  I made a real easy swing....probably between 1/2 and 3/4 swing, just trying to stay in the fairway. By the way, out of the 40 co-ed members in the club, yours truly has the highest hdcp. Good contact was the key!!

To the OP..someone mentioned earlier about noting where you score the most strokes and then working on those areas for improvement....this is great advice!!  Also, I have found that I score much better if I just hit a "more" controllable club instead of trying to hit a more difficult to control club..( at my level of play, I'm fine with hitting only 150 or so yards at a time)

I also play each hole one more stroke than it really is.....that is, if it's a par three, I play it like it's a par four (two strokes to get on, then 2 putts) Believe it or not, my scores have come down using this technique. (still can't shoot a 90 however )...some day

It's a great game...hope you enjoy it as much or more than I do

Even when I was beginning I never shot a 140.  Of course, I didn't keep score for about the first year and picked up on nearly every hole.  I agree with the poster who suggested to just enjoy hitting the ball until you start to feel some improvements.  If I had kept score that first year I would have 1. scored a lot higher than 140 at times and 2. quit.

Thanks guys, I am really enjoying it, although it was absolutely freezing yesterday :-/ . I shot 116 around that short 9 (played twice round) that I mentioned earlier. I hit a REAL purple patch yesterday, I hit 4 strokes on each of 4 holes in a row, I was really enjoying it. I was using a 5 wood off of the longer tees. Then I thought it would be a great idea to get the 3 wood out (have taken the driver out for now) and BAM, disaster struck, 3 off the tee followed by a 20 yard shank. The wheels fell off for about 5 holes, 7s and 9s and even a 10 at one point As some of you guys have mentioned, my bad shots did seem to come when I believed I had to really smack it. Rather than swinging the club normally (well as normal as I do) I would try and kill the ball and yep, you guessed it, the ball would be all over the show. Top spinners, shanks, hooks and slices all over the place. On a more positive note though, I hit some of the nicest approach shots I've ever hit too, 110 yards to about 5-20 yards from the pin, I did about 4 of those and they are the shots that make me want to go back for more :-)

Hey Clay -- Couldn't agree more with those advising you to SLOW DOWN.  Take 1/4 turns, then 1/2 turns until you are making excellent contact consistently.  That way you will learn your own "sweet spot" and as you increase your arc, you'll know where to come through for impact.   Be sure YOU are comfortable.  It's your grip and your stance  Make the game your own.

Practice chips, sand shots and putting.  Those are the shots that shave strokes off your game.  I rarely hit the ball the longest in most groups I play with, but score better most of the time nevertheless.  Those penalty strokes from the woods and water really add up!!

Don't despair.  When I first started I would have been happy with a 140!

Patience, focus -- and what you obviously have -- love for the game --- will bring improvements.  Most of all, have fun!

Enjoy, enjoy and enjoy more, every shot is a gift that you learn from.

Play your own game not any one elses, there will always be a better player out there.

I can tell you from being as low as a -10 and as high as 30 plus, playing in monthly tournaments to quiting because i got so wrapped up in my own issues and then hated the game.

I play now and love it some times I keep a score card some time I dont. Could not tell you what my handicap is at this point and dont care.

I do care that i am with friends and family and have a great time enjoying a great game. But it took me 6 years off and being 50 to know how much i do love to play.

Give your self a break, think of every shot as a gift it will all fall in line at some point.

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

Hybrid's Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4.

Vokey Wedges SM5 Tour Chrome, 54*, 58*.

Putter Greyhawk, G25 4 wood, G25 Driver.

Originally Posted by claytonmeister

Hey folks, be gentle.. new(ish) to golf and new to this forum. Been reading/watching a lot on the web and just playing a very short 9 hole course at present. I shoot around 110-120 (same 9 holes played twice equates to 3724 yards). I have some lessons coming my way with a pro local to me, we will see how this goes.

Last week I went on to a 'proper' 18 hole for the first time and hit 140 (the course is 5192 yards). It was very disheartening. I was playing with an 18 handicapper and he made me look absolutely hopeless.

How does this sound as an absolute beginner? I'm building my confidence on the short 9 hole and will keep practicing.

I feel my left arm is not staying straight throughout my swing? How important do you rate this? I seem to hit better at present (at the range) with a bent left arm?! I'm sure some lessons may help with that!

Sorry, so many questions for an absolute beginner

Contrary to what everyone else here is saying, I think you should give up. 140 is pretty bad :) No, just kidding. The first time I played a regular par 72 course I think I resorted to using a putter from the fairway because I skulled 6 wedges in a row on the first hole. The best advice I ever heard is "Enjoy the process." Practice, playing, sudying, frustration. I love golf because improvement takes hard work, intelligent work, and patience. Good luck!

You will improve as you play and learn more. Keep it fun and the scores will drop off.  I am a new golfer and shot in the 125-130 range 3 months ago.  I am now in the high 90's.

I put Adams and PING in my OGIO Recoil bag. I'm shooting for the low 90's by summer 13'

Originally Posted by claytonmeister

Also what's the forums opinion on practice balls like those air flows etc?

Hi Clay,

I highly recommend practicing (when either on the range or with a golf net of your own) with real balls. I great thing I got for Xmas was a grab bag of 48 miscellaneous rethread balls from Walmart. They have done me well in practice.

"Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.."

Note: This thread is 4068 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!