IGNORED

Utley Putting Stroke, Taking The Putter Back

cipher
Note: This thread is 3643 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

I just rock my shoulders and 'maintain the triangle'.... adjust the length to change distance. What's with all the silly quibbling? I doubt any of us who spend this much time on golf websites are ' respected'... lol.

It's not "silly quibbling." This stuff matters if you want to build a good golf game.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It's not "silly quibbling." This stuff matters if you want to build a good golf game.

I would hope so: :-) but I'm a hack and wouldn't know... haha. Maybe were on the same page, bur if you just rock the shoulders and focus on the bigger muscles wouldn't it take the pressure out of your hands? I think firm wrists would just kill feel and active hands would kill distance and direction control. I do get a sensation that my right hands closes or releases ever so slightly although I'm just trying to maintain the triangle baby!

I worked with @iacas and @mvmac on my putting a couple of years ago.  My set up is Utley style.  I forward press a little bit and I have a small amount of wrist movement in my stroke.  Erik and Mike tweaked my set up and stroke, which help refine my putting.

I went to a putter fitting later that year and the fitter made small adjustments to my length, loft and lie just to improve my aim a small bit and match my set up (it was off an inch to the left at 10ft).  He complimented me on my putting stroke and noted that the setup is relaxed and looked comfortable. To me, that is the most important aspect of putting, having a repeatable set up and stroke that works the same whether you are fresh or at the end of 36 holes.

Anything that adds tension to your stroke, may affect you when your getting fatigued.  Michelle Wei's set up, or even Jack Nicklaus' crouched set up works for them, but for me it would fall apart during a round.  Stiffen my wrists or arms, legs, etc. would do the same to me.  I want to have my body relaxed and only focus on my line and speed.  I have used the same grip since reading The Art of Putting too.

I am at 32 putts per round and feel I can reduce that by a couple more per round.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator

I think firm wrists would just kill feel and active hands would kill distance and direction control.

I think "feel" is "distance control."

Again, you don't toss a ball to someone with a firm, "locked" wrist.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator

Quick video:

First two are as "locked" as I can manage. I showed this to several putting instructors, they all disliked the first two strokes while liking the last two (relatively close to my normal stroke - not my putter and I was putting "that direction" but not at anything in particular). My two putts both ended up exactly the same distance.

Spoke with @John Graham as well, and he agrees. He's also tested several good putters on the PGA Tour, and all slightly "float load" the wrists as I've described.

Quick video:

Video is private :whistle:

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator

Video is private

Thanks. Weird. That's not my default setting. All set now.

The last two show what Utley means by "arms folding around the body."  The first two don't allow Erik to do this because of locking of wrists and arms.  Erik's arms lose connection to his body.  The second two keep this connection, which is what Utley wants the student to do.  It is also much more relaxed and repeatable.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 3643 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!