IGNORED

Should I bend my Lob Wedge to 64* ?

Note: This thread is 4062 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I play Ping K15 irons and the set has 4 wedges.

PW, SW, LW and Utility W.  I don't play the Utility.  My brother has a 64* wedge and it's really handy.

Should I have it bent from 56* to the 64*?

The distances I play these are:

PW- 120'ish

SW- 100'ish

Lob- 80'ish

I put Adams and PING in my OGIO Recoil bag. I'm shooting for the low 90's by summer 13'

My guess is that it might be asking too much to bend a wedge 4 degrees. I've heard 2 degrees is about the limit.

Also, seeing that you're a newbie golfer, I think you've got plenty to learn about hitting the wedges you have now consistently and solidly, before you start fiddling around with a more unusual and specialty sort of wedge.

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by JasonInRaleigh

I play Ping K15 irons and the set has 4 wedges.

PW, SW, LW and Utility W.  I don't play the Utility.  My brother has a 64* wedge and it's really handy.

Should I have it bent from 56* to the 64*?

The distances I play these are:

PW- 120'ish

SW- 100'ish

Lob- 80'ish

Which wedge do you want to bend because according to the specs none of them are 56 degrees.

See: http://www.ping.com/clubs/ironsdetail.aspx?id=8309

In either case the highest lofted wedge is the LW which is 58 degrees and trying to bend it 6 degrees would probably result in it breaking. If you want to get a 64 degree wedge you would be better served just buying one. Personally the highest lofted wedge I use is a 60 and when it gets replaced later this year I will be switching to a 58 degree. Have you tried just opening the face on the lob wedge?

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the input. I didn't know that 2* was the limit.  I do open the face when I need more loft.

I do better with bump & runs anyways... I'll just keep things as they are.

Thank you again guys.

I put Adams and PING in my OGIO Recoil bag. I'm shooting for the low 90's by summer 13'

Even if taht was possible you get a clube with alot more bounce than it started with it would be better used as a shoval. Im only kidding but year theabove if you get forged i bet you could get 4 degrees out of it but not cast pings, snap goes 120 dollars and the proshop wont care if they break it no love. Good luck i play mostly forged so i can play around with bending lofts and lies. take that for what its worth good luck

Bend to 64? I'd say no. But I put a 64 in my bag 2 years ago and I do find it very useful for tight shots around the green. I never use it outside if 25-30 yards though. The Feel model I bought can be had for less than $50 on tgw

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

No I've got a 56* Sand Wedge and 60* Lob Wedge which is a perfect setup for me. Phil Mickelson is the only player I know of with a lob wedge greater than 60*. I'd stay keep the 56* as it is and get a 60* to compliment it when you need to lob over a bunk or bush.

Driver - 10.5° Callaway RAZR Fit 

3 Wood - 15° Callaway Diablo Octane

Hybrid - 18.25° & 21° Titleist 913H 

Irons 5-PW - Cleveland CG16 Satin Chrome

Gap Wedge - 50° MD Golf NV Drew Standard Bounce 

Sand Wedge - 56° Cleveland 588 RTX 

Lob Wedge - 60° Cleveland 588 RTX 

Putter - Cleveland Classic Black Platinum 6

Would your brother let you borrow his 64* for a round of golf? Then you could test it out.

Conventional wisdom says 64* is very difficult for most golfers to use. Test and find out if you one of the "few" who can make it work.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by WUTiger

Would your brother let you borrow his 64* for a round of golf? Then you could test it out.

Conventional wisdom says 64* is very difficult for most golfers to use. Test and find out if you one of the "few" who can make it work.

That's a fair point. When I have said to several golfers and pros that I was considering a 60* they said that they wouldn't recommend higher than a 58* and that I could just open the face to lob it higher. However I find that my 56* has a specific purpose from short range to let me chip and run. However there are specific lob shots that I have wanted to play probably 5 or 6 times every round that a 60* would make much easier than opening the 56*.

Personally I could only see myself using a 64* for an extreme lob once every 4 or 5 rounds so it's not even slightly worth it. But at the end of the day if you have a use for the 64* wedge several times a round then I guess it's worth considering. As TUTiger says, see if you can borrow it for a whole round and see if you think you need a 60/62/64*.

Driver - 10.5° Callaway RAZR Fit 

3 Wood - 15° Callaway Diablo Octane

Hybrid - 18.25° & 21° Titleist 913H 

Irons 5-PW - Cleveland CG16 Satin Chrome

Gap Wedge - 50° MD Golf NV Drew Standard Bounce 

Sand Wedge - 56° Cleveland 588 RTX 

Lob Wedge - 60° Cleveland 588 RTX 

Putter - Cleveland Classic Black Platinum 6

Note: This thread is 4062 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!