Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
inthecup

Launch angle vs club loft

4 posts in this topic

My 6 iron has a loft of 30 degrees.  If I hit a ball on the monitor and it launches at 21 degrees and I conclude that I am de-lofting the club?   I posted this is clubs and fitting with no response so I thought I would try it here.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bill

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

There are better people out there to answer, but since nobody has so far, I'll say I dont think you are correct.  Doesn't swinging steeper and faster make the ball go higher?  I think launch angle is affected by spin.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The short answer is... it's complicated.

Check out this chart that's been posted on the site before. The PGA tour average launch angle for a PW is 24.2 degrees, with -5 degrees attack angle. Assuming the pros use around a 46 degree PW, there's an extra difference of 17 degrees coming from somewhere else.  It's not true that static loft + angle of attack = launch angle.

Originally Posted by dsc123

There are better people out there to answer, but since nobody has so far, I'll say I dont think you are correct.  Doesn't swinging steeper and faster make the ball go higher?  I think launch angle is affected by spin.

Swinging steeper reduces dynamic loft. It makes the ball go lower with less spin.