Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
madolive3

Got fitted for Irons, would like some input.

11 posts in this topic

Went and got fitted for irons, I am currently using a unfitted old set of Cleveland launchers that I bought used last year when I was first afflicted with this curse. The launchers have a reg flex graphite shafts with a low kick point other than that I don't have any info on my current iron set.

I am a white dot with an iron swing in the mid to upper 80s. It was difficult because I'm a new player and my swing isn't consist ant yet but we could see trends with the different clubs and shafts.

I went in thinking G25 or jpx 825s. I ended taking an I20 7iron with a project X 5.5 rifle shaft home to try for a few days.

Went to the range and hit some. Like I said above, I'm not a very experienced golfer but man, when I hit the ball close to center it was like butter. I was purposely taking easier swings to get a feel for the club. The ball flight was high compared to my old clubs, much higher but the yardage was about the same, roll out to about 150 or 155 yards, That's a typical 7 iron shot for me if I strike it well. So I had a few balls left and I started trying to get a little more distance, POW 160-170, even had one roll out close to the 180 sign.

So, compared to my old clubs longer higher ball flight and it seemed easier to hit the ball straight. Never had so much fun hitting an iron.

Any opinions or thoughts on this iron shaft combination for a newer player?

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

If you're getting a fitting I would find out the numbers from the fitting before I'd make a decision. If the range you were at has mats I'd probably try to take that 7i to the course and see what it looks like off grass. I don't there is a right or wrong shaft combination it only boils down to if the numbers look good for you.

Just a thing on iron fittings. With irons you're shooting at a target. You're not trying to maximise your distance. So rollout is your enemy, you don't want to land your 8 iron on the green just to see it skip into the back bunker. So the least rollout/ the better.

Originally Posted by madolive3

Went and got fitted for irons, I am currently using a unfitted old set of Cleveland launchers that I bought used last year when I was first afflicted with this curse. The launchers have a reg flex graphite shafts with a low kick point other than that I don't have any info on my current iron set.

I am a white dot with an iron swing in the mid to upper 80s. It was difficult because I'm a new player and my swing isn't consist ant yet but we could see trends with the different clubs and shafts.

I went in thinking G25 or jpx 825s. I ended taking an I20 7iron with a project X 5.5 rifle shaft home to try for a few days.

Went to the range and hit some. Like I said above, I'm not a very experienced golfer but man, when I hit the ball close to center it was like butter. I was purposely taking easier swings to get a feel for the club. The ball flight was high compared to my old clubs, much higher but the yardage was about the same, roll out to about 150 or 155 yards, That's a typical 7 iron shot for me if I strike it well. So I had a few balls left and I started trying to get a little more distance, POW 160-170, even had one roll out close to the 180 sign.

So, compared to my old clubs longer higher ball flight and it seemed easier to hit the ball straight. Never had so much fun hitting an iron.

Any opinions or thoughts on this iron shaft combination for a newer player?

New golfer and i20 does not generally compute. You may be able to do 7-PW, but as you go lower, consistency will generally suffer. G25 is probably your best bet. I've tried a mix Ping set before, for example, for you, G25 in 4-6i, and i20 in 7-PW, but the offset and appearance between the sets did not work for me (Ping G5 and i5). But you could do G25 and choose a custom option for a shaft.

Good luck.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm hoping I can demo a 4 or 5 iron before making a decision. I'll hit the 7 a little more off the grass and try and get a long iron to try.  I was hoping to stay away from the SGIs.The Rifles are an upgrade that bring the cost of the i20s to $135 per club, does this sound about right?

Thanks for the Input, I'll continue this thread for awhile and let the forum know which clubs I get and how I perform with them.

So I delayed returning the 7i for another day so I could play a round with it. I will be buying these clubs. I didn't use my old 6i or my old 8i, I just used the new Ping, that's how much confidence it gave me.I could hit it long if I had to or I could shorten it up. Beautiful ball flight, I could go on and on. wow. Ping I20 with the rifle5.5s stiff is ridiculous. Thanks for all the input.

You may find the i20's harder to hit in the longer clubs.  I actually use a g20 4i myself, I hit my i20 5i pretty well but can see how it could be tough for some to hit.

Thanks, I know the longer irons will b e more difficult. I use hybrids now in place of a 5i and higher and I don't strike the ball well with the hybrids either. Not sure what I'm going to do about the long Irons, I may go with a sgi club in the lower lofts or just tough it out with the Hybrids.

I see you're from Milwaukee, Do me a favor, Go have a double cheese burger from Kopps. Ketchup, mustard, pickles and onions. Whatever large Custard concoction for desert. I'll eat vicariously Thru you.

I see you're from Milwaukee, Do me a favor, Go have a double cheese burger from Kopps. Ketchup, mustard, pickles and onions. Whatever large Custard concoction for desert. I'll eat vicariously Thru you.

Sounds good! Moved here a couple years ago. I have eaten there a couple times. Good stuff!