IGNORED

No Golf for at least 3 months!!

divot dave
Note: This thread is 4036 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Dave - hope you have a full and speedy recovery. Maybe try the Mark Frost books - "Greatest Game Ever Played", "The Grand Slam" and "The Match". Great for appreciating the history of the game. I love Frost's abiliy to weave seemingly unconnected tidbits together into a compelling story. Even though I've been golfing for 40+ years I've got a greater insight into the sport than I've ever had.

"The Match". Is the greatest golf book I have ever read. I like the Art of the Short Game for technique. Two really solid books. Hope you get well quickly, hang in there.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Wishing you a full and speedy recovery!  Hope your boys are doing well.

It must be tough being that young and having to go through this, but looks like you got a really positive attitude!  Kudos!

I would say ask Steve Stricker about putting tips--a la per Tiger's performance this week.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Originally Posted by cipher

"The Match". Is the greatest golf book I have ever read. I like the Art of the Short Game for technique. Two really solid books. Hope you get well quickly, hang in there.

I'll have to check those out

IN MY BAG
Driver: Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver
3 Wood: Calloway RAZR Hawk
Hybrid: Ping 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX 825
Wedges: 52, 56 Cleveland
Putter: Odyssey White Ice

Originally Posted by Yukari

Wishing you a full and speedy recovery!  Hope your boys are doing well.

It must be tough being that young and having to go through this, but looks like you got a really positive attitude!  Kudos!

I would say ask Steve Stricker about putting tips--a la per Tiger's performance this week.

I appreciate your kind words...

Yeah, its a little tough wrestling with the reality that we all expire at some point. This just pushed things to the forefront a little sooner than I'd expected. I wasn't planning on giving death much thought til a little further down the road. But the honest truth is, we face that reality every single day, whether we acknowledge it or not.

IN MY BAG

I got laid up in September with a shoulder injury - surgery in December - and spring golf looks sketchy at this point.  It sucks and am doing rehab seeing progress.

At the same time I hope you proceed better than they think you will.  Truth is, if you could never golf again, I'm glad to think that you will be there for those three little ones in your avatar...and, in due time, have the joy of getting around the course with them (driving you nuts, if they are like my two).

There's a lot to look forward to in this.

Them getting lucky on a par 3 and knocking in the birdie while you are trying to get up and down from a bunker for par.

Dealing with the learning curve of talking during your backswing, standing on your putting line when they mark their ball, and wanting to explain how it could have gone in if only they had done "x" instead of "y".

And, depending on the course, there's nothing like watching your kids disappear into the woods convinced that there has to be some free, great, lost balls just beyond their sight when you really need to get moving.

And, then, if you are truly blessed, you'll have the opportunity to stand there and admire the drive they just bombed and realizing that you are enjoying a game with your kids. And, playing better than the was never the point.

Good luck with all of this.

Titleist 910D2 10.5* Stiff / Taylormade 3 Wood - Superfast 2.0 15*  3 Superfast 2.0 Rescue 18* Stiff Shafts

Originally Posted by Old1964

I got laid up in September with a shoulder injury - surgery in December - and spring golf looks sketchy at this point.  It sucks and am doing rehab seeing progress.

At the same time I hope you proceed better than they think you will.  Truth is, if you could never golf again, I'm glad to think that you will be there for those three little ones in your avatar...and, in due time, have the joy of getting around the course with them (driving you nuts, if they are like my two).

There's a lot to look forward to in this.

Them getting lucky on a par 3 and knocking in the birdie while you are trying to get up and down from a bunker for par.

Dealing with the learning curve of talking during your backswing, standing on your putting line when they mark their ball, and wanting to explain how it could have gone in if only they had done "x" instead of "y".

And, depending on the course, there's nothing like watching your kids disappear into the woods convinced that there has to be some free, great, lost balls just beyond their sight when you really need to get moving.

And, then, if you are truly blessed, you'll have the opportunity to stand there and admire the drive they just bombed and realizing that you are enjoying a game with your kids. And, playing better than the was never the point.

Good luck with all of this.

Those "three" are now, somehow, "four" lol... Perhaps I should update my avatar photo.

But you're right, I'm lookin forward to those days ahead. I appreciate the encouragement.

And good luck with your shoulder injury

IN MY BAG

So quick update, I spoke with the Occupational Therapist today, who was concerned about my ability to perform daily activities. By the time we started talking golf she seemed really encouraged that its an activity that could serve to really help in rehabilitation. Now, she's not the doctor, who remains adamant about taking the 3 months (minimum) off, but at least there's a 2nd opinion involved that's not so skeptical of the idea.

IN MY BAG

Originally Posted by divot dave

So quick update, I spoke with the Occupational Therapist today, who was concerned about my ability to perform daily activities. By the time we started talking golf she seemed really encouraged that its an activity that could serve to really help in rehabilitation. Now, she's not the doctor, who remains adamant about taking the 3 months (minimum) off, but at least there's a 2nd opinion involved that's not so skeptical of the idea.

Time to find a Dr who agrees with the OT!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Originally Posted by David in FL

Time to find a Dr who agrees with the OT!

lol, you're right!

IN MY BAG

That is crazy! Sorry to hear that man. But like the posters above said your short game should be pretty solid after all of this. Another Rotella book worth reading is Golf is Not a Game of Perfect.

GET WELL SOON

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

Get well soon.

Tommy's Honour by Kevin Cook is a fantastic book about the early years of the Open, focusing on Old and Young Tom Morris.

Won't help your short game but is a great read.

Note: This thread is 4036 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!