IGNORED

Putting help...

JeMo636
Note: This thread is 4082 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yeah too much wrist action can lead to inconsistent distance and lines because its hard to release the putter head repeatedly the same way

What's in my bag?
Driver- Taylormade TP Burner 2.0 5 wood- Launcher (4-GW)- Jpx Pro 800 SW- X Forged LW- 588 X Wedge- Tp-Z Putter- Unitized Tiempo

"Hard work beats talent"-Tim Tebow

Originally Posted by JeMo636

So the wrists should say set and just rock with th shoulders? I think I get too much wrist movement in my stroke and lead to inconsistency

Yes, your putting will improve drastically if you can do that. Good putters will always be able to read greens too, but that comes with playing I suppose.

I always liken my putting mechanics to a pendulum and your wrists are the bottom.  Your shoulders rock your wrists back and forth by your wrists do not hinge at all.  It is all in the shoulders.

Jeff

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
I'm still not a fan of trying to have NO wrist action. Soft wrists that slightly "float load" a little are a good thing that actually tends to improve distance control.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by JeMo636

So the wrists should say set and just rock with th shoulders? I think I get too much wrist movement in my stroke and lead to inconsistency

Relaxed is good

So stiff anything, including wrists, is not good.

Be free of tension.

I start the stroke with the hands and a micro second later the arms and shoulders follow. I hesitate at the back of the stroke, and come through with soft hands, arms, shoulders (fingers are holding the club - everything else is soft). The naked eye will see it as a shoulder stroke but the hands have started first, and everything else reacts to them.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Originally Posted by iacas

I'm still not a fan of trying to have NO wrist action. Soft wrists that slightly "float load" a little are a good thing that actually tends to improve distance control.

+1  I do concur.  I don't think trying to eliminate the wrists completely is the right action.  However, I see so many people who try to put by hinging their wrists back and forth and hardly involve the shoulders at all.  I find it very hard to control distances in that manner.

Jeff

Always  putt the ball straight ahead. Never think of curving the ball as one can do with a billiard ball by hitting the side of the ball.

Find the best line you can, see a spot on the green one foot ahead of the ball directly on that line, feel comfy over the ball, visualize a thumb tack directly in the center of the ball and stroke the thumb tack with the very center of the putter.

Confidence is bred from positive experience not simply mental effort.

Note: This thread is 4082 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!