IGNORED

2013 Masters Discussion Thread, Update with Tiger's Illegal Drop (Post #343)

iacas
Note: This thread is 4021 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Zeph

There is no doubt he could very reasonably have discovered the issue prior to returning his score card. He messed up in the heat of things and lost track of rules and/or where the ball went. You don't need to review camera footage closely to determine this.

You dont know what TW knew or thought at the time; psychic.

And why would TW have made the drop then call Freddie over to double check, then Freddie gives the ok, then TW makes the next shot.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

Golf is unfair at times, but that's how it works. We can't bend rules to fit new situations. Sure, the rule give them some leeway in determining the ruling, but based on why they made the rule and how it is worded, I don't like it.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by atb5079

Here's another reason I give a big, whopping **** YOU to the committee:

from Bob Harig's article:

"After being prompted by a television viewer, the Rules Committee reviewed a video of the shot while he was playing the 18th hole," Riley said in the statement. "At that moment, based on the evidence, the committee determined he had complied with the rules.

Even they had to be prompted the review it. They reviewed it. Everything was fine and dandy. Then later they reviewed it again and uh oh, all this broke loose.

So I understand why you all hate TW and think he needs to WD, and part of me agrees. But this one is on the committee. Also, when TW dropped it, he had Freddie come over and check and even Freddie said it was fine. Nobody noticed anything or questioned anything until some fan brought it to the committee's attention. That is why this entire ordeal is a joke. The committee was aware enough to do their own job. What a joke.

If this was the case, then Tiger should get no heat, it should of been up to the committee to spot it and tell him, so he could of adjusted his score accordingly then signed it off.

If they review it and tell him its fine, how can you blame him for signing off?

• Administrator
Why would he withdraw, he accepted the results by the rules committee. Lets not let be prideful goats. Play the game.

Because they applied the rule incorrectly and he knows better. Because it's the tight thing to do. [quote name="Rick Martin" url="/t/65568/2013-masters-discussion-thread-update-with-possible-illegal-drop-from-tiger-post-343/630#post_831613"] Have to give the mod huge props/credit for initially bringing this to surface last night before it became common knowledge in today's media. I don't know if you picked up on this when it happened or someone else triggered/brought it to your attention, but it was definitely a great pick up. [/quote] I said it on our chat within seconds of him saying it in his interview. I posted a screenshot earlier.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

You dont know what TW knew or thought at the time; psychic. And why would TW have made the drop then call Freddie over to double check, then Freddie gives the ok, then TW makes the next shot.

I'm saying he [b]could[/b]. This was not the result of someone spotting a small detail on TV. Something Tiger [b]couldn't[/b] notice. He very clearly could have noticed that he was dropping in the wrong place. The heat of the moment may be a big part of it, but that's not why this rule was made.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Originally Posted by Fourputt

The committee had already ruled that he had proceeded correctly.   He then signed and returned his card.  The committee then reviewed the ruling and determined that he had dropped incorrectly after all.  The fact that he returned an incorrect score was the fault of the committee, not Tiger's.  Therefore the penalty is assessed, but the disqualification is waived because Tiger proceeded correctly before returning his card.

Thank you!

Golf is unfair at times, but that's how it works. We can't bend rules to fit new situations. Sure, the rule give them some leeway in determining the ruling, but based on why they made the rule and how it is worded, I don't like it.

Great, but that is not TW's fault. He's not a cheater for accepting it.

Originally Posted by pepsiplusconker

If this was the case, then Tiger should get no heat, it should of been up to the committee to spot it and tell him, so he could of adjusted his score accordingly then signed it off.

If they review it and tell him its fine, how can you blame him for signing off?

Exactly.

Great, but that is not TW's fault. He's not a cheater for accepting it.

He's lucky the committee didn't DQ him. Legally, he hasn't broken any rules, but it's still a strange ruling. You can get rulings from committees which may not be correct. That makes people talk.

I'm saying he could. This was not the result of someone spotting a small detail on TV. Something Tiger couldn't notice. He very clearly could have noticed that he was dropping in the wrong place. The heat of the moment may be a big part of it, but that's not why this rule was made.

Great, but so could the committee then. The committee after reviewing everything b/c a random fan had to bring the violation of RULES to the RULES committee, decided at the END of the round, AFTER he signed his card that he had indeed violated a rule. Note the BIG WORDS. This is why this is an embarassment and entirely on the committee.

And btw STFU Chamblee

Originally Posted by Fourputt

The committee had already ruled that he had proceeded correctly.   He then signed and returned his card.  The committee then reviewed the ruling and determined that he had dropped incorrectly after all.  The fact that he returned an incorrect score was the fault of the committee, not Tiger's.  Therefore the penalty is assessed, but the disqualification is waived because Tiger proceeded correctly before returning his card.

This is exactly it.

DQ would be punishing Tiger for the committees incompetence.

A DQ would be make the committee look good, but hurt their wallets.

This ruling makes the committee look meh, but helps their wallets.

If I was TW, I would WD just to hurt their wallets and tell the committee to learn the rules, as TW should know himself.

Originally Posted by atb5079

A DQ would be make the committee look good, but hurt their wallets.

This ruling makes the committee look meh, but helps their wallets.

If I was TW, I would WD just to hurt their wallets and tell the committee to learn the rules, as TW should know himself.

The only wallets hurting if TW doesn't play is CBS. The event is sold out with people paying $5-7k/badge to get in. CBS has paid for broadcast rights. Augusta National doesn't have to worry about its wallet.

[QUOTE]After being prompted by a television viewer, the Rules Committee reviewed a video of the shot while he was playing the 18th hole. At that moment and based on that evidence, the Committee determined he had complied with the Rules.[/QUOTE] That changes things a bit. By changing the ruling, they made a big mistake. If there is room in the rules to not DQ based on that though, I don't know.

The committee had already ruled that he had proceeded correctly.   He then signed and returned his card.  The committee then reviewed the ruling and determined that he had dropped incorrectly after all.  The fact that he returned an incorrect score was the fault of the committee, not Tiger's.  Therefore the penalty is assessed, but the disqualification is waived because Tiger proceeded correctly before returning his card. Since the committee deterined that he had not incurred a penalty, Tiger went with their decision.  They reversed the decision on later review, but Tiger had no control over that.  To DQ a player after he has been told that he had done everything correctly would be a travesty.  The only reason we are drawing out this discussion is because too many Tiger haters have the peculiar idea that Tiger gets special treatment.

This makes the most sense to me so far. If the committee takes the blame, everyone wins..

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

The masters should not be decided by stupid rules after the fact. He should not have to withdraw thats absurd. He didnt intentionally cheat. It should be like football. Review it once and play on. Make the decision now not 5 hours from now.

Note: This thread is 4021 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!