IGNORED

Least Favorite Player

clutchshot
Note: This thread is 3910 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

See what I mean, tmf9?  This is a pretty common view of Sergio, I think we can safely say.  People "love" Tiger's on course attitude, but not Sergio's.  Why?  Is it because he's Spanish?  Maybe, I don't know.  But I bet it has mostly to do with the fact that he's not a winner. I'll say it again.  People don't love Tiger because of his behavior.  They put up with it (or don't mind it) because he wins.

I dont think nationality is a point, as people appreciate other spanish players. as for me I live one hour from spain. tiger has had a couple of bad moves on the course yet they illustrate he's pissed of with himself. (to my point of view). sergio punishes anything but himself. He plows bunkers, hits trees and fairways, spits in bogeys, trows club is water, looks at the sky as gods punished one, cries in his mothers arms, says to the media that the when his ball hit the pin it flew yards away yet any other players ball would go in... not the same to me !

Originally Posted by bubble

I dont think nationality is a point, as people appreciate other spanish players. as for me I live one hour from spain.

tiger has had a couple of bad moves on the course yet they illustrate he's pissed of with himself. (to my point of view).

sergio punishes anything but himself. He plows bunkers, hits trees and fairways, spits in bogeys, trows club is water, looks at the sky as gods punished one, cries in his mothers arms, says to the media that the when his ball hit the pin it flew yards away yet any other players ball would go in...

not the same to me !

As I said before, you guys are right.  There is a big difference between the two guys as far as their poor on-course behavior goes.  However ...

1.  Just because Sergio's is "worse" than Tiger's in the sense that he abuses clubs more often, abuses the course, God, perhaps fans, who knows, does not make Tigers behavior OK.  I'm not saying that you said that, because you didn't, but I definitely sense from some people a "Well it's OK because he's not as bad as others" reasoning, and I don't think that flies.

2.  The hatred towards Sergio is still magnified because he's not a winner.  If he was, people would absolutely try to defend him.  (Read: Bobby Knight, Joe Paterno, Ray Lewis, Lance Armstrong, Kobe Bryant, and so on)  Likewise, if Tiger was just another average player, he'd be looked at more like a Rory Sabbatini or Ian Poulter.  Basically, a d**k with a temper.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm curious as to why everyone has such a strong reaction to cussing.  Everyone cusses.  If we got to listen in to an NFL game I bet the only thing you'd hear would be cuss words and prepositions.  I could absolutely care less.  I do'nt know if it's the notion that golf is a gentleman's game (I get that, and I think that manifests itself in the sense that players help each other out now and again, e.g., stricker and tiger, pay attention to the rules of etiquette, etc.  The media perpetuates this, obviously, such as when Tiger dropped an audible f'bomb at Bay Hill a couple weeks ago.  We even got the "oh the humanity, a child heard a grown man cuss!!!" Who cares? you don't think that kid either hears his dad cuss, or his friends everyday?

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by SoundandFury

I'm curious as to why everyone has such a strong reaction to cussing.  Everyone cusses.  If we got to listen in to an NFL game I bet the only thing you'd hear would be cuss words and prepositions.  I could absolutely care less.  I do'nt know if it's the notion that golf is a gentleman's game (I get that, and I think that manifests itself in the sense that players help each other out now and again, e.g., stricker and tiger, pay attention to the rules of etiquette, etc.  The media perpetuates this, obviously, such as when Tiger dropped an audible f'bomb at Bay Hill a couple weeks ago.  We even got the "oh the humanity, a child heard a grown man cuss!!!" Who cares? you don't think that kid either hears his dad cuss, or his friends everyday?

Exactly! Golfers have probably been cussing ever since the game started, and its a fact that athletes of every sport cuss.  I could care less if someone says f*** after a bad shot, there humans and it feels a lot better to let a few cuss words than saying "well darn I sure did mess up that shot, gosh darn it"

What's in my bag?
Driver- Taylormade TP Burner 2.0 5 wood- Launcher (4-GW)- Jpx Pro 800 SW- X Forged LW- 588 X Wedge- Tp-Z Putter- Unitized Tiempo

"Hard work beats talent"-Tim Tebow

I have to agree with many of the players mentioned here. Keegan Bradley and Furyk are probably the top two that drive me nuts to watch. Polter and Singh are annoying as well. Sabatini may be a jerk, but he supports our troops, so I will give him a pass on that. Probably the biggest phony of all time was Lee Trevino, who turned into "The Merry Mex" whenever the cameras were on. The rest of the time he was throwing clubs, abusing his caddy, swearing, and acting like a complete jerk. Give him credit for his acting ability along with his golf.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

As I said before, you guys are right.  There is a big difference between the two guys as far as their poor on-course behavior goes.  However ...

2.  The hatred towards Sergio is still magnified because he's not a winner.  If he was, people would absolutely try to defend him.  (Read: Bobby Knight, Joe Paterno, Ray Lewis, Lance Armstrong, Kobe Bryant, and so on)  Likewise, if Tiger was just another average player, he'd be looked at more like a Rory Sabbatini or Ian Poulter.  Basically, a d**k with a temper.

Yes Sergio would be more well liked if he was a winner, however if he was he wouldn't have the same attitude he has now.  No top athlete ever has had the on course (field, court, etc) demeanor that Sergio has.  No winner is always making excuses and blaming everyone but themselves when they lose.  All top athletes turn that anger and passion into something good, not bad.

If Sergio were a winner I think his attitude would be more like it was when he was at Madina.  Remember when he sunk that long birdie putt on the par 3 and gave that huge fist pump and stared Tiger down because he was on the tee box of that par 3, it was almost as to say "I'm not going anywhere I'm not scared of you" Where the hell has that attitude from Sergio gone?

Also I'd like to point out that all those athletes/coaches you mentioned have their fair share of critics too.

What's in my bag?
Driver- Taylormade TP Burner 2.0 5 wood- Launcher (4-GW)- Jpx Pro 800 SW- X Forged LW- 588 X Wedge- Tp-Z Putter- Unitized Tiempo

Originally Posted by tmf9

Yes Sergio would be more well liked if he was a winner, however if he was he wouldn't have the same attitude he has now.  No top athlete ever has had the on course (field, court, etc) demeanor that Sergio has.  No winner is always making excuses and blaming everyone but themselves when they lose.  All top athletes turn that anger and passion into something good, not bad.

If Sergio were a winner I think his attitude would be more like it was when he was at Madina.  Remember when he sunk that long birdie putt on the par 3 and gave that huge fist pump and stared Tiger down because he was on the tee box of that par 3, it was almost as to say "I'm not going anywhere I'm not scared of you" Where the hell has that attitude from Sergio gone?

Also I'd like to point out that all those athletes/coaches you mentioned have their fair share of critics too.

John McEnroe?

And regarding the last comment ... of course they do.  I wasn't suggesting they don't.  What I am saying, though, is that they have a lot of supporters.  And the reason they have those supporters is because they are/were winners.  Your random non-top-5-basketball-player-in-the-world rapist, or non-super-bowl-winning-hall-of-fame murder accomplice isn't going to have a lot of people on his side.

Originally Posted by tmf9

The current tennis world number 2 and reigning Olympic & US open champ has a very similar attitude to Sergio. Its one of the reasons why Murray isn't totally beloved in the UK, compared to the praise and attention that was given to Henman who had a nice career without ever being top draw, certainly not at the same level Murray is now.

Personally, I don't mind Sergio, its a bit like watching Monty, you think he's there and he is going to contend and then he finds some way to butcher the chance.

I was looking for information on the PGA's slowest players and came across this article which shows the times of the fastest and the slowest players on the PGA Tour.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704013604576249071961744478.html

It's not directly related to favourite or least favourite players but seeing as I'd given Rickie Fowler a hard times because he kept doing things that were kinda annoying (no. 1 being that mustache), I only thought it was fair to give him credit when it's due.

Sergio appearing as one of the slowest players as well.

Driver - 10.5° Callaway RAZR Fit 

3 Wood - 15° Callaway Diablo Octane

Hybrid - 18.25° & 21° Titleist 913H 

Irons 5-PW - Cleveland CG16 Satin Chrome

Gap Wedge - 50° MD Golf NV Drew Standard Bounce 

Sand Wedge - 56° Cleveland 588 RTX 

Lob Wedge - 60° Cleveland 588 RTX 

Putter - Cleveland Classic Black Platinum 6

Originally Posted by Wansteadimp

The current tennis world number 2 and reigning Olympic & US open champ has a very similar attitude to Sergio. Its one of the reasons why Murray isn't totally beloved in the UK, compared to the praise and attention that was given to Henman who had a nice career without ever being top draw, certainly not at the same level Murray is now.

Murray winning Wimbledon might have changed how the UK views him now. Up until that win, Murray always wore his emotions on his sleeve. But just like the Sergio v. Tiger argument regarding showing emotions, Murray finally won his Grand Slam so we may give him a pass for that, but Sergio is still left wanting.

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

Random questions for everybody:

The people you put on this list ... do you actively root AGAINST them when you are watching golf?

Or is it more like just an indifference towards them?

All this talk about Sergio being hated, and the more I think about it, I would loooooooove to see him win next week.  That would be epic!

Or the guys who don't like Rickie because he has a mustache or orange clothes ... does it bother you when he wins?  Or are you really simply saying that you wished he shaved and wore normal clothes, and nothing more?

John McEnroe?

And regarding the last comment ... of course they do.  I wasn't suggesting they don't.  What I am saying, though, is that they have a lot of supporters.  And the reason they have those supporters is because they are/were winners.  Your random non-top-5-basketball-player-in-the-world rapist, or non-super-bowl-winning-hall-of-fame murder accomplice isn't going to have a lot of people on his side.

I'll give you Ray Lewis but I have a hard time believing Kobe "raped" that girl.  I'm not old enough to remember McEnroe, I know he had a temper, but I don't think he was always feeling sorry for himself?

What's in my bag?

The people you put on this list ... do you actively root AGAINST them when you are watching golf?

All this talk about Sergio being hated, and the more I think about it, I would loooooooove to see him win next week.  That would be epic!

Or the guys who don't like Rickie because he has a mustache or orange clothes ... does it bother you when he wins?  Or are you really simply saying that you wished he shaved and wore normal clothes, and nothing more?

I definitely don't root against them, but when Rickie hits a 180 yard approach to a foot from the pin I think:

"Great shot! That mustache makes him look like a nob though. I bet he's a dick."

That's what might actually run through my head at the time. In reality I'm sure he's a decent bloke but my subconscious is less pc than me.

Driver - 10.5° Callaway RAZR Fit 

3 Wood - 15° Callaway Diablo Octane

Hybrid - 18.25° & 21° Titleist 913H 

Irons 5-PW - Cleveland CG16 Satin Chrome

Gap Wedge - 50° MD Golf NV Drew Standard Bounce 

Sand Wedge - 56° Cleveland 588 RTX 

Lob Wedge - 60° Cleveland 588 RTX 

Putter - Cleveland Classic Black Platinum 6

Not really.  I listen Keegan as one of my least favorites but I was happy when he won the PGA.  I like him being a fierce competitor but man that routine gets on my nerves!!

What's in my bag?

seems like most of the players named are the only players that actually have a personality and don't just play golf.

bubba is awesome.  i'm not religious at all but i think he's a very witty guy that would be cool to hang out with.  zach johnson gets on my nerves when he talks about god, even Streelman got under my skin when he said he won because he read some scripture that morning (hell you'd think he would be reading scripture more often???).

fowler is awesome too, and a good guy (also very religious though, but censors it on TV).  i wish there were more players like him, and i'd even support a long-hair tatted-up fella too.  different is unique and unique is good, gentleman's game or not.

i still have to say tiger must be on this list.  no doubt he is the greatest golfer ever but his personality is questionable, and he is about the only player that can have any level of temper tantrum on the course and nobody gives a f*ck.

I'll route against Tiger, because I'm much more interested in watching a tight exciting finish rather than a demonstration of excellent golf. If Tiger hits the front early in a tournament its over and I'm losing interest.

LOL, rooting against Sergio just seems like an unnecessary waste of energy. No need to jinx him, he's got it covered!

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Note: This thread is 3910 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!