IGNORED

Interesting Topic... Course Fashion

DDBowdoin
Note: This thread is 6084 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm just trying to see where people fall on course fashion. Do you prefer the classic look or are you edgy.

I was recently out shopping around Boston and stumbled on some J Lindeberg Golf. I'm slighly overweight so I passed on the fashion wear but I loved the color and the boldness of the clothes.

Do you think course fashion can become an intimidation factor on the first tee? As in, "man this guy has orange pants on... he must be a pretty good player"

Just curious....

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I played with a guy who wore the rounded felt cap, the Scottish-style knickers, and a shirt with Augusta National's logo plastered on it. He looked like Payne Stewart. I thought he would be a single-digit capper, and shoot a 75 or so.

The intimidation factor only lasted about three holes, because the whizzer carded in three consecutive double bogeys and had the shortest drives of all of us. The guy ended up with an 89 at the end of the day.

A better intimidation tactic is to give the other guy the honor, let him hit his tee shot - and then boom your drive past his. It'll shatter his confidence any day of the week.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

I'm just trying to see where people fall on course fashion. Do you prefer the classic look or are you edgy.

I don't play close enough to my friends in scores (a few friends are far worse than I am, the rest are single-digit handicappers) to go for an intimidation factor. But I would go for J Lindeberg if I could afford it (still in grad school, would rather spend my money on golf equipment and lessons). I am thinking of going for some Bubba-wear.

I have enough friends that are into cosplay (I'm not, for the record) that maybe they'd help me dress like Bobby Jones or Payne Stewart or some such on the right days. One course around here makes your green fee complimentary if you dress like Bobby Jones on his birthday. I've been told once on the course that I look like Justin Rose. I can assure you that they were basing it on my physical appearance and not on how I was playing! I was also told I could pass for Jim Furyk's kid. In both cases, I was wearing dark sunglasses: I doubt they'd have said that if I hadn't been. But it did get me thinking that I'd like to dress more like the top players who have good fashion sense. Maybe if I dress like C.V. I'd be able to read greens the way he does...

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If I had the money and had a day to devote solely to golf, I would be all out with the bold colors and crazy checkered pants. I love that look and love the opportunity to "dress up." As it stands, though, most of my golfing is done before work or on my lunch break, so i have to dress in a way that is appropriate for both, so I usually just go with a simple polo or hawaiin shirt and jeans or cargo shorts, depending on the weather.

Also, I do not think of the way you dress on the course is an intimidation factor. Most of the best golfers in the world are pretty plain. Parnevik and Poulter are probably the best "edgy" dressed golfers, and while they are far better than I will ever hope to be, I do not think they intimidate the likes of Tiger.

Submitted for your approval, this is how my brother dresses. Not only for golf...but for just about everything, every day.

Blog Internetz | Twitter | Rolling Knolls
----
Super LoCo 457cc 10*
Tight Lies 16* & 13*
Recovery 21* Pure Distance 4-PW Diadic 52* and raw 588 60* Anser 4 blade U-Tri Tour

I find the whole Euro look thing with the white bel-bottom type pants and bright colors to be a bit annoying.

Im basic, nothing flashy I'll wear some ralph lauren kahki shorts, a polo shirt, various hats which are usually green, and my white and black adidas 3 stripes. Like Shindig said, I dont spend much time on the fashion aspect i spend any extra money i have on equipment.

: 905R 9.5*
904f 15*
Baffler DWS 20*
eye 2
spin milled 54*, Vokey 58* White Hot XG #9 Pro V1x

I like to dress nice on the course, my days of jeans & tee-shirt are over. I think it shows a little respect to not look like some homeless dude on the course. That said, (and no offense intended) I think it's funny to hear a bunch of guys throw around names like Ralph Lauren or J Lindberg. Sounds like a bunch of women discussing their purses or something. hehehe

this may sound really weird but its just something I do: I never wear shorts. When I play, no matter how hot it is, I always wear a pair of black or khaki microfiber Izod golf pants. I picked them up for 14.99 each at a TJ Maxx, they are money.

I don't know why I can't leave the pants, some part of me feels like if the guys on tour can't wear shorts than I won't. A bit stupid but just the way I roll...

on the fashion part, I'd be down with the funky colors. people talk about the money and its true, fashion isn't cheap unless you know how to shop. Here in Boston we have a store called Filenes Basement and TJ Maxx. I buy all of my golf clothes there for wayyyyy under full retail. This week I picked up Under Armour Polo's for 19.99... down from there usual 64.99 retail at Dicks. I guess the reason I wear the strange colors is because thats what the cheap stores get in, stuff people don't buy. I guess the hot pink Under Armour wasn't popular!

Daniel Duarte
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

there was a poll on this in golf monthly.
im not fussed about course wear.

In the Wilson Stand Bag

Driver:........Ping........G5 Reg shaft
3 Wood:......Mitsushiba.........M575-15°

Irons:.........Taylormade RocketBallz......3 Hybrid - PW..Stiff Shafts

Wedges:....Cleveland CG16 56 & 60

This week I picked up Under Armour Polo's for 19.99... down from there usual 64.99 retail at Dicks. I guess the reason I wear the strange colors is because thats what the cheap stores get in, stuff people don't buy. I guess the hot pink Under Armour wasn't popular!

Hot Pink Under Armour polo's for $20? Where do I get mine? I like to wear colors. I have a bright blue Nike Body Maping polo and an orange Adidas ClimaCool polo. For fathers Day my wife and kids got me a green and white short sleeve mock and a nice light purple polo, both Snake Eyes. However, I also have a really nice white Adidas ClimaLite polo that I wore when I played as a guest at one of the upscale country clubs a couple weeks ago. For pants or shorts I tend to go more traditional with plain kahki or black. I have been occasionally wearing cargo shorts recently, but that's on Wednesday night for my league. The course is not all that high end and the dress code is more relaxed.

I did fight the impulse this weekend to buy a Nike belt with a big blcck and gold buckle with a swoosh on it. $50 just seems crazy to spend on a belt. Besides, I would most likely not wear it with shorts.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

I played with a guy who wore the rounded felt cap, the Scottish-style knickers, and a shirt with Augusta National's logo plastered on it. He looked like Payne Stewart. I thought he would be a single-digit capper, and shoot a 75 or so. The intimidation factor only lasted about three holes, because the whizzer carded in three consecutive double bogeys and had the shortest drives of all of us. The guy ended up with an 89 at the end of the day. A better intimidation tactic is to give the other guy the honor, let him hit his tee shot - and then boom your drive past his. It'll shatter his confidence any day of the week.

He probably wasn't trying to intimidate you.

I'm the worst golfer, ever. I shoot about 110 on a par 3/4 course... but I do like to dress nice. Atm I wear plain pants, with nice white Nike air golf shoes, a Nike skin top with a Nike polo on top, and a titleist cap. It's probably what you'd call "fashionable", which is what I'm looking for, as I'm 20. I don't wear it to intimidate though, I wear it to give me confidence, and to feel I can play to my best - no matter how bad that is. andy.

i match everything to one color.

during golf season for my high school everything needs to be red. gloves, shoes, hat and once or twice even my pants.

i never wear shorts. its just more practice for when im a tour pro

but i always try to look presentable, though i usually overdo it.

905R
LD-F 3-Wood
Vokey Oil-Can 252-08 degree
Cobra C Wedge 56-11 Vokey Oil-Can 260-08 degree Scotty Cameron Newport 2 35'' Pro V1x

I'm a bargain hunter... last month I found this crazy all white Nike belt ( http://www.tgw.com/customer/category...TEGORY_ID=9145 ) for 9.99. It looks pretty nice with a pair of black slacks.

I try to match my clothes pretty well but it gets hard sometimes. I definately stay away from white polos or any striped shirt that has a great deal of white to avoid from dirt stains on the shoulders from bag straps.

probably my favorite thing to do that annoys people is the triple button polo. getting rarer on tour (I think so...) Its DLIII style

Daniel Duarte

I'm pretty conservative with my wear. Regular cut pants, Cotton polo shirt. I think it just looks right for me. I have started playing in regular training shoes though. I've found its a real good way to work on balance.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

...I wear it to give me confidence, and to feel I can play to my best - no matter how bad that is.

Hey, that's well said. I like frame of mind you are trying to create. Confidence is

key in this game.

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

If I had the money and had a day to devote solely to golf, I would be all out with the bold colors and crazy checkered pants. I love that look and love the opportunity to "dress up." As it stands, though, most of my golfing is done before work or on my lunch break, so i have to dress in a way that is appropriate for both, so I usually just go with a simple polo or hawaiin shirt and jeans or cargo shorts, depending on the weather.

Sounds like you work at a pretty cool place, where polo and jeans are considered everyday workwear. I imagine you enjoy this job?

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Sounds like you work at a pretty cool place, where polo and jeans are considered everyday workwear. I imagine you enjoy this job?

Depending on your line of work, you might find a job with a company where some folks show up in shorts and a T-shirt, or where executives will address the company as a whole in jeans and a gym shirt.

(Yet, I go into work in slacks and a good shirt, because I feel better dressed that way)

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm a bargain hunter...

I've always been a two button guy myself, (typically Polo), but, working in the golf business, I've discovered a wide variety of shirt makers with neat cuts. Perry Ellis makes a nice three button polo specifically for golf. It doesn't go too low, the holes spaced nicely. I actually wore one today.

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

I just wear a polo, khakis, and a ball cap. Not too fussy about cutting edge styles/colours or anything like that just whatever is comfortable and looks good.
in the bag:
R580XD 10.5°
Rescue Dual 19°
Titleist 755 4-PW
Vokey Black Nickel 54.10° Vokey Oil Can 60.08° Circa 62 No. 2 Charcoal Mist

Note: This thread is 6084 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!