IGNORED

My Swing (mchichioco)

mchichioco
Note: This thread is 3334 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Alright, yea I am a "perfectionist" so to speak and I try to get everything fixed at one time. But I went to a lesson and I've narrowed it down too, 1) head behind ball 2) more lag less cast 3) Finish follow through 4) 1 piece takeaway

Originally Posted by mchichioco

Alright, yea I am a "perfectionist" so to speak and I try to get everything fixed at one time. But I went to a lesson and I've narrowed it down too,

1) head behind ball

2) more lag less cast

3) Finish follow through

4) 1 piece takeaway

All good tips...just a couple things i saw in your video...

1) at position 1 (club paralell to ground) I'm less concerned with your forearm rotation(it's a matter of preference) but the hands and clubhead should point the butt of club at the target and your hands should be above your toes...In the video the clubhead is below plane(too far inside) and clubhead is slightly closed.

2) at position 2 (left arm paralell to ground) Try to get your wrists set here as the clubhead rotates behind, and your arms start to rise to your shoulder plane, make sure your club's butt end is pointing 90 degrees at your target line not above or below(your tendancy in the video here is to have unset wrists and you are lifting your arms past your shoulder plane...

3) at position 3 (transition or top of your swing) is taking position 2 and completing your shoulder rotation...arms and club should remain on your shoulder plane( this is where I think you get our hands too high) and you end up across the line and closed(miss from this position is push the slice or hook depends on if you contact the ball with an open or closed clubface in relation to the "push" clubpath.  Try to finish the backswing and start the downswing with your hand and shoulders as one...your hands should stop/start rotating when your shoulders stop/start rotating...the amount of seperation between your arms and upperbody can be minimized with a slight pause at the top of your swing.

4) at position 4 (downswing) as the club becomes parallel to the ground, again, there are a couple things you should pay attention to;

i) butt end of the club points at your target and clubhead is pointing at the sky(same as pos. 1

ii) maintain the lag in your wrists as long as possible, this is the stage where casting happens, just hold off as long as naturally possible

iii) make sure you get off your right side, most of your weight transfer should be move over to your left side against a solid left leg

iv) maintain your spine angle...try not to dip down or stand up during any part of your swing...posture is key to a repeatable swing.

From here...let it rip...let the momentum of the club bring you to a full finish...us smaller guys tend to be a little quick with our body and block to the left...

I only went into such detail because you consider yourself a perfectionist...engrain good fundamentals early...and go back over them every so often for maintenance...you are young, you have an opportunity to create a fundamently sound swing that will result in decades of enjoyment.

All good tips...just a couple things i saw in your video... 1) at position 1 (club paralell to ground) I'm less concerned with your forearm rotation(it's a matter of preference) but the hands and clubhead should point the butt of club at the target and your hands should be above your toes...In the video the clubhead is below plane(too far inside) and clubhead is slightly closed. 2) at position 2 (left arm paralell to ground) Try to get your wrists set here as the clubhead rotates behind, and your arms start to rise to your shoulder plane, make sure your club's butt end is pointing 90 degrees at your target line not above or below(your tendancy in the video here is to have unset wrists and you are lifting your arms past your shoulder plane... 3) at position 3 (transition or top of your swing) is taking position 2 and completing your shoulder rotation...arms and club should remain on your shoulder plane( this is where I think you get our hands too high) and you end up across the line and closed(miss from this position is push the slice or hook depends on if you contact the ball with an open or closed clubface in relation to the "push" clubpath.  Try to finish the backswing and start the downswing with your hand and shoulders as one...your hands should stop/start rotating when your shoulders stop/start rotating...the amount of seperation between your arms and upperbody can be minimized with a slight pause at the top of your swing. 4) at position 4 (downswing) as the club becomes parallel to the ground, again, there are a couple things you should pay attention to;                              i) butt end of the club points at your target and clubhead is pointing at the sky(same as pos. 1                             ii) maintain the lag in your wrists as long as possible, this is the stage where casting happens, just hold off as long as naturally possible                            iii) make sure you get off your right side, most of your weight transfer should be move over to your left side against a solid left leg                            iv) maintain your spine angle...try not to dip down or stand up during any part of your swing...posture is key to a repeatable swing. From here...let it rip...let the momentum of the club bring you to a full finish...us smaller guys tend to be a little quick with our body and block to the left... I only went into such detail because you consider yourself a perfectionist...engrain good fundamentals early...and go back over them every so often for maintenance...you are young, you have an opportunity to create a fundamently sound swing that will result in decades of enjoyment.

Wow! So how many swing thoughts should he keep in his head? Do you really think it is good to throw this all at him?

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by cipher

Wow! So how many swing thoughts should he keep in his head? Do you really think it is good to throw this all at him

Sorry my bad...the most important thing about my previous post was to not think about it at all...every part of your technical work should be done without a ball, infront of mirrors and/or video until you can repeat without thinking... then introduce the ball and practice, practice, practice...then bring it to the course.  Try to keep your technical work(at home infront of mirrors) seperate from your ball striking work( at the range).  And cipher is probably right, this is something that needs to be developed.  It won't happen over night.  But also 'Yes' I think, in the long run, this is exactly what he needs.

Guys, please also understand that I am trying to help when I say this.  You cannot create lag with the idea of "More lag less cast", or "maintain the lag in your wrists as long as possible.  There are tons of good players and pros that will back me up here on this.  You have to get your body in the right positions so that it happens naturally.  You can have lag with very loose wrists even.  You have to learn piece by piece one thing at a time how to make each correct move.

1) head behind ball
2) more lag less cast
3) Finish follow through
4) 1 piece takeaway

Please forget about ideas 2, 3, for a while and wait a bit on 4.  Get into a good posture first and then when you have it down, move to making a centered turn with a good one piece takeaway.  The follow through will come much later.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Originally Posted by cipher

Guys, please also understand that I am trying to help when I say this.  You cannot create lag with the idea of "More lag less cast", or "maintain the lag in your wrists as long as possible.  There are tons of good players and pros that will back me up here on this.  You have to get your body in the right positions so that it happens naturally.  You can have lag with very loose wrists even.  You have to learn piece by piece one thing at a time how to make each correct move.

1) head behind ball

2) more lag less cast

3) Finish follow through

4) 1 piece takeaway

Please forget about ideas 2, 3, for a while and wait a bit on 4.  Get into a good posture first and then when you have it down, move to making a centered turn with a good one piece takeaway.  The follow through will come much later.

I totally agree...with everything he said...;)

Thanks alot guys... Honestly the only reason I can manage to get goos scores I because I am pretty athletic... Being a cross country runner for my highschool team and a former baseball, soccer, basketball player in middle school i am flexible and athletic. Therefore I am able to make compensations to help me hit it straight... I understand that as I get older i need a better swing to improve so I'm works on it now :)

Your setup looks decent...and your rythm and timing seem to be in sync...i especially like the slight hesitation at the top of your swing and you have a nice full follow through...

Originally Posted by mchichioco

Okay, thanks, I shot a 86 the other day so pretty good. Although I was still hooking my shots

Are you saying your ball starts on line, then hooks? or is it starting left and drawing?

how a ball starts is relative to the swing path and curve is relative to the club face angle to that path...so if your ball is starting on line and hooking, it is because the clubface is dead shut to the path your swinging on.  A common mistake is to swing out to the right, which will just amplify your hook.  I'm guessing that when the instructor told you 'more lag less cast' he was trying to get you to 'lay off' your release.  There are a lot of factors involved and more updated video of your swing would be beneficial;  i personally would like to see a 'down the line video' (your target line, not your aim line) and a face on view of  your swing so we can get an idea of how you look at address vs impact.

When I think about it I am swinging out to the right, it's usually starting right then hooking back in... A few times it starts in line then goes way left...

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Adam Bellaire

how a ball starts is relative to the swing path and curve is relative to the club face angle to that path...so if your ball is starting on line and hooking, it is because the clubface is dead shut to the path your swinging on.

Adam, it's a bit different than that: the ball starts where the face is pointing (roughly), and curves away from the path.

Worth reading: Ball Flight Laws .

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

Adam, it's a bit different than that: the ball starts where the face is pointing (roughly), and curves away from the path.

Worth reading: Ball Flight Laws .

Thanks for the link...I'm a little old school...as long as he gets the idea that if he wants the the ball to go straighter he needs to reduce the differential between club path and face angle...

Note: This thread is 3334 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!