IGNORED

Gary Player's ridiculous comments

AndrewM
Note: This thread is 6037 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Thats exactly what i was thinking, if you aren't going to name anyone and try and fix the sport that has been good to you, then shut up! Going on TV and saying "Golfers use steroids, Golfers use steroids!!!" and not backing it up with any facts is just wrong. I think him and alot of other older golfers are mad about the way the game has changed, with new technology and longer courses. i just lost all respect for gary.

-matt

Driver: 09 Burner 10.5 Aldila NV 65 X Stiff
3wd: G10 14* Aldila NV 85 X Stiff
Hybrid: G10 18* Aldila NV 105 X Stiff
3-PW: I10 X100
Wedge: Tour 52* & 58* S400Putter: Circa 62 No.2 35" Ball: Tour IXLowest 9 (-E) 36Lowest 18 (+2) 73

Hi

congratulations to Padriag Harrington on winning the Open..i don't think he needs performance enhancing drugs!!

Gary Player's comments come a bit from Sour Grapes Syndrome i think.

The 400 yard drives at the Open can be attributed to hard fairways, brilliant technique (Ernie Els springs to mind) and technology...Ernie uses a hard ball and trampoline technology with his Callaway driver...the drive im thinking about had a strong down wind.

What about drugs like beta blockers and anti depressants used exclusively to improve golf performance?

Craig Parry was pulled up for using bbs to try to improve his putting.

Steroids kill and no one should consider taking them ever. Arnold Schwarzenegger will need another heart operation soon because of his prolonged and prolific use of 'roids.

Roids shorten your life and therefore your earning potential so why would any tour pro take such a thing?

bb69

Arnold Schwarzenegger will need another heart operation soon because of his prolonged and prolific use of 'roids.

For future reference, Arnold's heart issue was congenital, specifically not lifestyle or diet related.

Hi

i read all about Arnold on wikipedia and its says that his use of drugs to build muscle has damaged his heart. He's ruled out an artificial valve replacement because this would stop him from taking specific drugs in the future like 'roids as they are not compatible with drugs to to make an synthetic valve work!

He's got a role in T4 i understand
bb69

Although I know nothing about Arnold and it's completely off topic, Wikipedia is not a very scholarly source, considering anybody can edit the information on the site. I agree that steroids could have played a role in his heart conditions, but find better facts than wikipedia

What I play:
Cleveland HiBore XLS 9.5 Fujikura Stiff flex | Titleist 735.cm Stainless Steel True Temper S300 3-PW | Titleist Vokey GW 52 | Cleveland 588 SW 56 | Titleist Vokey LW 60 | Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless | Titleist Pro V1x

Where I play:
Texas A&M UniversityHow I play:Goals for 2008

Basically what a lot of people are saying is that there can't be drugs in golf because there are no drugs that can help a golfer. It might be true, but if a young kid wants to be a pro and thinks he needs twenty extra yards on his drives to be able to make some money, I don't think he's going to consider what those drugs are going to do to his putting, or his mood. He's going to take them. And he's going to take them knowing he'll NEVER BE TESTED!
It's crazy. Test them. Prove that no-one takes performance-enhancing drugs in golf, because I for one don't believe it.

"That's Golf!"

Ok here is my two cents worth on this...
Gary Player should be willing to provide the names to the PGA and not the media, if in fact he has the names, so that the PGA can take the necessary steps to look into the accusations. He also should have taken it to the PGA and the R&A; and not the media. This would give the proffesional organizations the chance once again to look into the claims.

The LPGA IS instituting a drug testing policy for 2008, and I have yet to hear any accusations made against the ladies. If I am wrong on this than please feel free to correct me. They have listed on their website the drugs they are testing for, the reason they are testing for them, and are offering classes on the testing procedure.

IMHO this is a good move for two reasons: 1. if there is a drug problem they can adress it and fix it before it becomes a worse problem: 2 If there is not a drug problem then they have proven it to the world and will be able to avoid the accusations.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10degree
3 Wood: TaylorMade R7 Draw
5 Wood: Callaway BB
Hybrid: TaylorMade R7 Draw 19D
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS 4- AWWedge Cleveland CG10Putter: Oddessy 2 BallBall: Bridgestone E5/E6

His comments might have been poorly worded, but he's right that there should be drug-testing for the guys on tour. Even if he can't name a single person on the tour that is on steroids, there should still be testing. It is silly to not have drug testing.

I think there should be drug testing (steroids) in golf, and implimented immediately. The game does not need the dark cloud that pro baseball has engulfed itself in. How disheartening that it would affect some amateurs that want to turn pro if they knew that the only way to compete was to juice.

Since golf from its beginnings has frowned upon cheating, you can't turn a blind eye to anything that would give someone an unfair advantage. I can understand, for example, a legal allergy or asthma med that has a minor steroid in it. If it can't be acquired legally from a doctor, it shouldn't make its way out onto the course.

New Slogan for the PGA Tour in 2008:

"These guys are good....but we all know that you only watch if Tiger is playing."

• Administrator
I think there should be drug testing (steroids) in golf, and implimented immediately.

To be clear, it's more than just steroids. It's all "performance enhancing drugs," and drawing that line in the sand will be tough. Again, is nicotine a performance-enhancing drug? Or no?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Here is my 2 cents.

I have been a competitive cyclist for many, many years and have seen the dark side of the sport and what doping can do.

HGH and steroids would be an idea match for golf. Roids would be a good place to jump start your workout or help recover from a nagging injury. You don't have to look like a tank to be a roid user. For anyone that has ever lifted the first 6-8 weeks is tough and roid can get you thru that wall rather fast.

HGH is the magic bullet. It is called the fountain of youth drug for a reason. It allows you to work out like an animal day after day after day. Even if that work out is hitting 1000+ golf balls or walking 36 a couple times a week. Many dopers in sport use the roids to get the jump and may never touch them again. It is the HGH that allows them to go non-stop.

HGH is the new drug of choice in hollywood. Work out in the am, film during the day, party all night, repeat and never look/fell tired.

Drug testing in golf, much like baseball will be implemented with little noise from the players. WHY ?? because drug test never involves checking for HGH. That requires a pretty special blood test and most sports just don't allow blood work. Pee in a cup and everybody is happy.

As far a baseball vs golf analogy. I have played both ( turned down the phillies out of HS ). Hitting a baseball is far harder than hitting a golf ball. In golf it is you and the ball, heck they make everyone shut up before you hit. You have no outside force to affect your attempt to hit the ball. Try hitting a 98 mph fastball that is tailing at you head with the crowd screaming. The pitcher is doing everything he can to keep you from hitting it.

Having played a few sports at a high level I may have a different view. Make no mistake golf is my current game of choice and is incredibly difficult. It is one of the best individual tests you can put your self thru, but it far from immune from doping issues.

hammerTyme();
stop();

No matter what, it's a tough situation all around.

Out of all the professional sports, I would tend to believe that Golf would be the one that would LEAST likely be overrun with steroid abuse. Becuase it's a game of presicion and finesse, I could definitely see NON-abusers would still be able to compete, however, over the last decade or two it has clearly transformed into a power-game, and there's no doubt that strength would contribute to that.

Another reason I'd be LESS likely to think steroids are widespread (or even used at all) in golf is that fitness, hard-core weight training, cardio training, stamina etc. is a somewhat recent development in golf. Look at the field, you're not talking about the locker room of an MLB, NBA or NFL team, so by doing the bare minimum (working out here and there) you will immediately have an advantage.

That's not to say in years to come this couldn't change, because it probably will, once EVERYONE starts to work out and build up muscle and stamina, then athletes will look for additional advantages and possibly steroids.

Also keep in mind recovery time, which is why MANY atheletes take steroids. I twist MY ankle, I can barely walk for over two months. Some of these guys BREAK BONES and HAVE SURGERY and they are out ONE WEEK, playing PRO-LEVEL basketball/baseball/football THE VERY NEXT WEEK. While conditioning and overall health and fitness contribute, steroids also have a lot to do with that phenomenon.

The worst part about this whole thing is the young people who may be influenced or tempted to use steroids to get an edge in whatever sport they play.

I think the best thing about golf is that technique and pure skill SHOULD always win in the long run. Look at Corey Pavin.

Perhaps in the future, PGA courses will be shortened, making power less of an advantage. Fairways and greens will be narrow and hard to hit, and accuracy and finesse will be rewarded...?
WITB

Callaway FT-5 11°
Callaway X-HOT 15°
Sonartec HB-001 19° & 23°Callaway X-22 5-PWTitleist Vokey 200 Series 52°Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 56°Titleist Vokey Special Grind 60°Scotty Cameron Mizuno M-100

• Administrator
Hitting a baseball is far harder than hitting a golf ball. In golf it is you and the ball, heck they make everyone shut up before you hit. You have no outside force to affect your attempt to hit the ball. Try hitting a 98 mph fastball that is tailing at you head with the crowd screaming.

You also don't have to hit a baseball as precisely as a golf ball, and why you'd want to hit a ball that's coming at your head is beyond me. It's clearly not going to be a strike.

Golf is harder than baseball. Or so say just about every major leaguer asked the question, including Rick Rhoden and John Smoltz and a bunch of former big-time hitters, too, including (to bring this discussion back to topic) Mark McGwire. I agree, though, with the basic sentiment of the post above: drug testing is going to be about figuring out where to draw the line. In fact, in thinking about it, I foresee one potential downside to putting out a list of banned substances. Right now, in golf, with no list, "cheating" is pretty well understood: if you use a drug to enhance your performance (in training or play or practice), you're cheating. If you have a list and you happen to use a drug not listed, it's going to be much easier to rationalize to yourself that you're not cheating.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Good point about "cheating."

Another issue, conforming vs. non-conforming equipment, etc.
The major golf equipment companies push the limits so far with their gear, an extra degree here or there, titanium here or there, weight here or there, and hardly anyone would notice.

Do we check EVERYONE's equipment? Could a player use a "loaded" or "juiced" ball off the tee and somehow switch balls in between stokes or holes?

Another issue would be "fairness" to higher profile players. Cameras follow Tiger and Phil all over the course, whether they're at the top or bottom of the leaderboard. What about that middle-of-the-pack or bottom golfer, who has no following and nobody looking over HIS shoulder. Should we test Tiger just because he wins so often?

We rely on the honor system a great deal in this game. Sure there are marshalls or whomever "policing" the course, but the fact remains, you keep your own score and you provide your own equipment. As previously mentioned, it's just YOU AND THE BALL, nobody shouting or screaming or doing their best to make sure you DON'T hit it. There are TONS of opportunities to cheat besides steroids, so if they are going to start testing they will have their work cut out for them.

Good call on the HGH. In case anyone forgot, these guys are MILLIONAIRES. If the PGA is going to test for substance x, then they will use substance y. There is always something cutting edge or undetectable, and if you have the money, you can get your hands on it.

I'm not sure how widespread this is now, but I'm sure it's coming. You guys are convincing me...
WITB

Callaway FT-5 11°
Callaway X-HOT 15°
Sonartec HB-001 19° & 23°Callaway X-22 5-PWTitleist Vokey 200 Series 52°Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 56°Titleist Vokey Special Grind 60°Scotty Cameron Mizuno M-100

Golf is harder than baseball. Or so say just about every major leaguer asked the question, including Rick Rhoden and John Smoltz and a bunch of former big-time hitters, too, including (to bring this discussion back to topic) Mark McGwire.

I knew I would be mis-understood on this point. Just clairfy so I don't get any hate mail....

The 'act' of hitting a golf ball is easier. The ball is stationary. Golf as a whole is a very difficult game because your are all alone out there, which I tried to state in my post. Just an aside, using baseball player quotes about which is harder golf or the sport you were a natural at and played from the time you were 4 years old is not a fair question. I bet Tiger would tell you golf is easier than baseball for him :) Too get back on topic now.... Drug testing in most sports is a joke. It is there for show and makes things annoying for the dopers. Cycling is at the fore front and they still can't even come close to getting it right. The other problem is drug testing is some sports go the extreme and start throwing people out and find out later that their new 'super' test gives false positives ( see tri-athalons). That is usually a career ending move that then causes the sport to suffer more.

hammerTyme();
stop();

• Administrator
I knew I would be mis-understood on this point. Just clairfy so I don't get any hate mail....

I didn't misunderstand you, and I still disagree. A baseball is pretty big, a bat is pretty big, and you can get a base hit making contact in a pretty large region. Your timing doesn't matter so long as it's close enough to hit the ball within a 90 degree arc.

I've played both, too, and I think that getting PURE contact on a golf ball is much harder than hitting a baseball.
I bet Tiger would tell you golf is easier than baseball for him

I bet he wouldn't. If anyone appreciates the work he puts into his golf game, it's him. How many baseball players spend four hours per day hitting baseballs?

Plus, heck, you get several tries (at least three) to hit a baseball. Whiffs count in golf, as do your foul balls. I've played both too, so I suppose we'll just agree to disagree on this. Back on topic: Gary Player's asinine comments.

Where the drug issue always gets clouded is that everyone assumes that if you take steroids you look like Arnold or a defensive lineman. As several people have pointed out in their posts, seroids and HGH help as much with recovery as they do with strength. The game has become one of power and distance first. If you take a great golfer and can make him stronger and more fit, chances are he becomes an even better golfer. If you take Barry Bonds. A great hitter and you make him stronger he becomes the most prolific home run hitter in baseball history. I still hope he gets hit in the head and ends his season, but I digress. Drugs are not going to make a 36 handicap into a tour player, but drugs could take a guy who has tour quality skills, like a Corey Pavin or Fred Funk and add 20 yards. I bet Pavin would be a better player if he could hit 2 less clubs into each green.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

Note: This thread is 6037 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!