IGNORED

Sergio's First Major - Random Thoughts

iacas
Note: This thread is 6125 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
Could it be your still feeling upset after the thrashing he dealt out to your boys at the K Club last September?

I couldn't care less about it. Sergio was part of a team - he didn't do it alone, and I am fairly happy Padraig Harrington won. He was on the team, too (though he didn't add squat). Sergio was also soundly beat in Sunday's singles.

So nope, I am not upset about his play in the Ryder Cup. I enjoy watching good golf, regardless of the player's country of origin. Ryder Cups have brilliant play, usually on the part of the Europeans. Good for them. P.S. You're.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Sergio took defeat in a graceless fashion; he has a lot to learn on that front. However, the gloating and gleeful celebration of a young man's crushing defeat on this topic is distasteful.

That's circular logic don't you think? I stated my lack of respect for him before this weekend started for reasons that he certainly lived up to after. Why should I respect someone who doesn't give respect to anyone else? Who blames everyone for his own failure?

Could it be your still feeling upset after the thrashing he dealt out to your boys at the K Club last September?

You are the one who just turned this into a Europe VS America thread. I could really care less as far as that goes. Scott and Goosen are two of my favorite golfers as far as that goes. Great golf ability is fun to watch, but character stands above all else. Besides can you really use the "poor him" card on any professional athlete?

Or maybe you're upset that The Open Championship wasn't the planned "made for television" spectacle where Tiger predictably holds the trophy aloft, while bloated sponsors and TV execs look on giving each other a satisfied nod and a wink?

I do like watching Tiger win, just as I loved watching Jordan, Gretzky, Lemieux, and Montana in their prime. I wasn't old enough to watch Jack or I would have done the same thing. But for this thread, I wouldn't refer to you to any of the wins the previously mentioned players had. I would refer to their loses. For that shows their true character, the trait I have commented on.

To me, your comment about Tiger is very insulting to Tiger. I am pretty sure he has earned his wins.
"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree , is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents"

-Nathaniel Bornenstein

As Americans, I don't believe we hold on to the sting of losing the Ryder Cup like you imply-seems a tad silly to me to turn this into a USA vs. the World argument.

Believe me I love Americans and the USA. I lived in North America for two years and I can honestly say that Americans are some of the friendliest, nicest people I've ever met. If I'm honest about it I can find a heck of a lot more common ground with the average American than I can with a Frenchman or a German.

Taylormade r7 460
Callaway X 3 Wood
Callaway X 5 Wood
Callaway X 7 Wood
Callaway X Hybrid (24*)TaylorMade r7 Irons (5-PW)Mizuno MP-R Series Wedges (52,58 degrees)Ping G2 Anser Putter

I think Sergio took defeat in a graceless fashion; he has a lot to learn on that front. However, the gloating and gleeful celebration of a young man's crushing defeat on this topic is distasteful.

I think you are way off base here.

This has nothing to do with "our boys" or "your boys," USA vs. EU, etc. etc. If one of "our boys" acted like that, believe me, I'd be the first to call him a punk and root for the other guy. This guy could be from anywhere, any country, any state, the USA, it doesn't matter. The bottom line is, he chokes in the big spot and once again failed to get it done when it was HIS for the taking. Nobody is disputing his talent, his INSANE Ryder Cup performances, his ball striking, his skills. To be honest, the Ryder Cup means a lot more to Europeans (from what I've seen and read about TV ratings, etc.) than it does to Americans (probably because the EU usually wins, LOL) so I doubt that anyone from the states is harboring any ill-will or hard-feelings because of his Ryder Cup performance.
WITB

Callaway FT-5 11°
Callaway X-HOT 15°
Sonartec HB-001 19° & 23°Callaway X-22 5-PWTitleist Vokey 200 Series 52°Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 56°Titleist Vokey Special Grind 60°Scotty Cameron Mizuno M-100

Believe me I love Americans and the USA. I lived in North America for two years and I can honestly say that Americans are some of the friendliest, nicest people I've ever met. If I'm honest about it I can find a heck of a lot more common ground with the average American than I can with a Frenchman or a German.

P.S. mate- My grandfather was born in Glasgow, so I'm with you! LOL

WITB

Callaway FT-5 11°
Callaway X-HOT 15°
Sonartec HB-001 19° & 23°Callaway X-22 5-PWTitleist Vokey 200 Series 52°Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 56°Titleist Vokey Special Grind 60°Scotty Cameron Mizuno M-100

To be honest, the Ryder Cup means a lot more to Europeans (from what I've seen and read about TV ratings, etc.) than it does to Americans (probably because the EU usually wins, LOL) so I doubt that anyone from the states is harboring any ill-will or hard-feelings because of his Ryder Cup performance.

It means a lot to us because it took us nearly 60 years to get on a winning run. We only won 3 times between 1927-1983. Every win since then has been completely precious. I also hope it means a lot to Americans too or the cup has no future.

Taylormade r7 460
Callaway X 3 Wood
Callaway X 5 Wood
Callaway X 7 Wood
Callaway X Hybrid (24*)TaylorMade r7 Irons (5-PW)Mizuno MP-R Series Wedges (52,58 degrees)Ping G2 Anser Putter

Sergio has always been my absolute favorite player. But it pains me to see his stupidity. Learn from your goddamn mistakes son. Don't blame it on faith or conspiracy.
And instead of writing a book about how to shoot every shot perfectly and still shoot 1-over in the playoffs, you should READ a book about how to win, how to play well under pressure and how to learn from your mistakes.
In my bag:
Driver: : D2 8.5°
fairway wood: 906 15°
Hybrid: 585H 19°
Irons: 4-PW 695MBWedges: 52° 56° & 60° CG12Putter: Bettinardi C-Series (Carbon Steel)Ball: Pro V1x

Sergio has always been my absolute favorite player. But it pains me to see his stupidity. Learn from your goddamn mistakes son. Don't blame it on faith or conspiracy.

It's a little bit harder said then done...just a little.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

It's a little bit harder said then done...just a little.

Yeah, but do you really think he's trying at all? based on the statements he is making all the time, I don't think he is. He said it clearly on the pressconference on Sunday. "I'm just gonna move on and hopefully do better next time". Sounds to me like he believes that he doesn't need to improve to win The Open next time.

In my bag:
Driver: : D2 8.5°
fairway wood: 906 15°
Hybrid: 585H 19°
Irons: 4-PW 695MBWedges: 52° 56° & 60° CG12Putter: Bettinardi C-Series (Carbon Steel)Ball: Pro V1x

Yeah, but do you really think he's trying at all? based on the statements he is making all the time, I don't think he is. He said it clearly on the pressconference on Sunday. "I'm just gonna move on and hopefully do better next time". Sounds to me like he believes that he doesn't need to improve to win The Open next time.

No...

He's not trying at all. He should just tee off with a putter.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW

• Administrator
No...

You're missing the point if you think your glib joke about using a putter is at all what TNB is saying.

I agree: it doesn't seem as though Sergio believes the loss was his, and given that, it seems unlikely he'll do anything to change it the next time around. Should he have hit a longer club off the 18th tee to have a shorter club than a 3-iron into the green? No, says Sergio, he only bogeyed the hole because a) some guy took a long time to rake a bunker AND b) the golf gods kept his perfect par putt from falling. See? Not his fault at all. It's an attitude common in slackers and whiners. Sergio isn't trying to improve. You can't improve if you don't acknowledge your weaknesses.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Sergio pretty much blamed everyone but himself. It's too bad because I was hoping he was past that. Heck, it was probably my fault too for jinxing him by picking him on my fantasy team. As I mentioned in the "Chooooke" thread I went from rooting for him to get it done to glad he lost and hoping he never wins one. He sounded like a little baby after the tournament. Nevermind Sergio that you were 3 clear of a guy just getting his swing back and not really known for his tough, sunday charges and six clear of the next closest player. But yeah, it's probably the greens keepers fault for cutting the cups the way they did. I mean, those putts, so many of them, should have dropped. Maybe next tournament they'll cut them in Sergio's favor. It's also McGinley and DiMarco's fault for hitting it in the bunker on 18. Give me a break! Sergio was sitting back there like a 15 year old trying to play through a foursome. A seasoned PGA pro would have put the club back and gone through the preshot routine again, as one of the announcers (can't remember which one) said.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

You're missing the point if you think your glib joke about using a putter is at all what TNB is saying.

He acknowledges his weaknesses though, that's why he switched to the belly putter. We all know that if we were on the 18th at the British Open, and he's gotta wait 5-10 minutes for a guy to rake the bunker, it's not going to help. Anyone who has played golf, or any sport for that matter, knows that momentum and tempo are huge, and when you just disrupt that bad things will happen.

And also, his putt just didn't drop. What do you expect him to say after such a heart breaking defeat? The thing caught the edge of the cup, he hit a good putt and it didn't go in...it happens. That doesn't mean he needs to go and say "I suck I need to get way better at putting." Because he DID get better at putting this past year with the belly putter and putts just didn't drop at the Open's final round. (some were bad putts though earlier in the round)

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW

I was so happy to watch Sergio choke.

He should blame his failure on his shirt being too tight. The sight of his nipples was grossing me out.

In my bag:

Driver: Cleveland Hibore XL 9.5*
Hybrids: Cleveland HiBore 19*
Nike Slingshot 23*Irons: Titleist 775 CBWedges: Titleist Vokey 54.10 Callaway X-Tour 58.12

• Administrator
He acknowledges his weaknesses though, that's why he switched to the belly putter. We all know that if we were on the 18th at the British Open, and he's gotta wait 5-10 minutes for a guy to rake the bunker, it's not going to help. Anyone who has played golf, or any sport for that matter, knows that momentum and tempo are huge, and when you just disrupt that bad things will happen.

Professional golfers are used to waiting. "Waiting" is not an excuse, particularly when you stood around making excuses in your head in advance, not putting the club back in the bag, etc. He had to wait on the tee, he had to wait on previous holes, and he had to wait all week.

And also, his putt just didn't drop. What do you expect him to say after such a heart breaking defeat?

It's simple, for me: I expect him to congratulate Padraig. I expect him to perhaps say "maybe I should have hit 3W off the 18th tee to get closer to the green." I expect him to say "I should have put the club back in the bag and started over." I expect him to say "on a day when many people were making bogeys I just couldn't." I expect him to say "I made a few mistakes this week, and they cost me, so I'm going to learn from that and try not to make those mistakes again."

I do not expect him to blame a guy for doing his job (and exaggerate by > 200% at that). I do not expect him to say he's playing against "more than the field." I do not expect him to lay blame everywhere but squarely on his shoulders. I do not expect him to say "I should write a book on how to hit every shot perfectly in a playoff and shot one over" after he clearly chunked his second shot on the first hole ten yards short of a short greenside bunker! His press conference, again, was a slap at Padraig's win. Again, Padraig is probably too happy to notice, but were I Padraig, I'd be kind of pissed that Sergio simply couldn't give credit where credit was due.
The thing caught the edge of the cup, he hit a good putt and it didn't go in...it happens. That doesn't mean he needs to go and say "I suck I need to get way better at putting." Because he DID get better at putting this past year with the belly putter and putts just didn't drop at the Open's final round. (some were bad putts though earlier in the round)

There's a lot more to it than his putting.

I think he should first learn to appreciate the fact he had the chance to contend for an Open win. So many talented people don't. If he is so full of himself, I think he will never enjoy the game and good things don't happen to sore people often.

In the bag:
905R 9.5* Fujikura Speeder S
X 15* Fujikura R
X 19* Fujikura S
4-P MP-14 TT DGS300 53* 588 Gunmetal MP series 56-14 TT wedge MP-R 60-09 Rifle SpinnerDFX Two ball Pro V1

I think he should first learn to appreciate the fact he had the chance to contend for an Open win. So many talented people don't. If he is so full of himself, I think he will never enjoy the game and good things don't happen to sore people often.

hes contended plenty of times before, So i dont know about that, the enjoying the game part I agree with, but yet again hes a professional. What he needs to do is realize he isnt good enough to win a major right now and try to get better instead of blaming fate and stuff, it wasnt like you know he was right there tied or something and things didnt work out. HE WAS LEADING, you DONT need to make putts when you are leading(for birdie anyway at a tough course like carnoustie) He got it to -10 and then couldnt bring it home, iM sure he could have hit the ball better or made better pitches/chips here and there to where even if his putts werent falling they wouldnt have to because hed be inside of 5 feet. edit: and you dont hit every shot perfect and lose 3 strokes coming in, even on links golf especially with the shortgame of a professional golfer, thats just bullshit.

In the words of Ron Kroichick of the San Francisco Chronicle - "Garcia needed claret jug to hold his mighty fine whine".

I'm tired of listening to Sergio crying and making excuses...he whined about USGA officials letting play continue in the rain during the 2002 U.S. Open saying they would have suspended play if Tiger Woods was on the course.

I want to root for Sergia..I almost found myself rooting for him coming down the stretch at The Open...but now, I never will. He has such a great demeanor when he's playing and lot of other golfers should follow his lead.

But in the words of the great Jack Nicklaus - "when I'm playing in a tournament and I hear a fellow golfer complaining about course conditions, or the weather, or whatever, I cross him off my list as the guy to beat".

Take heed Sergio and follow the advice of the greatest golfer who has ever played the game.

Note: This thread is 6125 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!