Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Iwanttobreak100

My Swing (Iwanttobreak100)

14 posts in this topic

I've been Playing Golf for: 5 years

My current handicap index or average score is: 90-95

My typical ball flight is: high and inconsistent

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: hooks


Videos:

I know right off the bat my wrist hinge is poor so any and all tips on the complete swing will help, thanks in advance!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Wrist stuff might be tied to you grip.  If a player has the grip too much into the palm of the left hand, will inhibit wrist hinge.  Also I would recommend feeling the left knee flex over your left foot on the back swing.  Left knee needs to flex more, will also help downswing, getting the weight forward.  Lower body just looks static.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks for the info mvmac. About the more flex in my left knee, I feel when I do that I start to reverse pivot a little. Is there something I should be conscious about when doing this so I'm not putting my weight more on my left leg when bending it more (maybe a little more bend on my right knee to, what I try to do with my right knee is keep it on the inside of my fight foot so it doesn't twist during my turn).

Thanks again!

Originally Posted by mvmac

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually found your video about the importance of hips in golf swing and you point out how the right foot should be putting pressure into the ground while the left knee flexes, i'll make sure to keep that in mind as well.

Regarding the grip, I know I squeeze the club to hard sometimes, especially because I was messing around with the double overlap grip one time and it feels like I'm barely holding the club and it felt like I was able to get more wrist cock action and release the club easier with that grip. I just need to go back to my neutral interlock but make sure it is in my fingers and not to squeeze it to tight....

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Iwanttobreak100

I actually found your video about the importance of hips in golf swing and you point out how the right foot should be putting pressure into the ground while the left knee flexes, i'll make sure to keep that in mind as well.

Regarding the grip, I know I squeeze the club to hard sometimes, especially because I was messing around with the double overlap grip one time and it feels like I'm barely holding the club and it felt like I was able to get more wrist cock action and release the club easier with that grip. I just need to go back to my neutral interlock but make sure it is in my fingers and not to squeeze it to tight....

Originally Posted by Iwanttobreak100

Thanks for the info mvmac. About the more flex in my left knee, I feel when I do that I start to reverse pivot a little. Is there something I should be conscious about when doing this so I'm not putting my weight more on my left leg when bending it more (maybe a little more bend on my right knee to, what I try to do with my right knee is keep it on the inside of my fight foot so it doesn't twist during my turn).

Thanks again!

Ok so regarding the pressure in the feet.  Like I said FEEL like you're flexing your left knee over the left foot, in reality your adding pressure right.  Pressure is right because the right knee is DECREASING in flex.  More on that here http://thesandtrap.com/t/55080/myth-of-maintaining-address-flexion-in-the-rear-knee

Your left doesn't really flex on the backswing, leading to some issues with your pivot.  Not going to get too technical but your hips shallow out on the back swing, meaning the inclination of the hips is less then it was at address.  We also have to understand the priority list, you're a 30 handicap so the first thing you need to get better at is hitting the ball solid.  You have to understand impact, weight is forward, hands are forward, that's how the clubs are designed to be hit.  You could swing very similar to this drill below and break 100.  Gives you a great idea of what impact feels like.  Going to feel awkward at first but can't think of a better way for a beginner/bogey golfer to practice.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/61376/5sk-video-thread/90#post_836200

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks for the info and the drills. I'll work on that, I actually hit closer to 90 but I still feel so far away from being consistent (which you can obviously tell on my swing) so starting fresh with drills like these most likely is the best way to break down my swing.

Thanks!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by mvmac

Gives you a great idea of what impact feels like.  Going to feel awkward at first but can't think of a better way for a beginner/bogey golfer to practice.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/61376/5sk-video-thread/90#post_836200

I was able to replicate this drill pretty well on the driving range today. I took my 7 iron and I would do this drill and basically hit it almost 150 with just a half swing. I could feel my club making contact with the ball first (on the mat so wasn't able to judge by the divot) and the ball had that low piercing trajectory.

My problem than was trying to replicate this with even just half swings and I couldn't do it. What should I concentrate on (or any drills to practice) so start to get to this impact position with even 1/4 or half swings and work my way up to a full swing?

Thanks again!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Iwanttobreak100

I was able to replicate this drill pretty well on the driving range today. I took my 7 iron and I would do this drill and basically hit it almost 150 with just a half swing. I could feel my club making contact with the ball first (on the mat so wasn't able to judge by the divot) and the ball had that low piercing trajectory.

My problem than was trying to replicate this with even just half swings and I couldn't do it. What should I concentrate on (or any drills to practice) so start to get to this impact position with even 1/4 or half swings and work my way up to a full swing?

Thanks again!

Basically just have to do it more, do the drill the beginning and end of each practice session.  For "full" swings refer back to what I was mentioning about the left knee.  Flex the left, release flex in the right.  Leg work has to get more dynamic in order to use the pressure effectively.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by mvmac

Basically just have to do it more, do the drill the beginning and end of each practice session.  For "full" swings refer back to what I was mentioning about the left knee.  Flex the left, release flex in the right.  Leg work has to get more dynamic in order to use the pressure effectively.

I have an updated video, I've been doing the contact drill and also focused a little more on my knee flex. It looks to me a little better but I'm not the judge of that obviously....

I made sure to have the grip more in the fingers, but still don't hinge the club and I have no idea why.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all,

I haven't posted a swing in a while, I went out and shot 85 yesterday with this swing. I get no power (which you will obviously see) but I'm going straight consistently and chipping/putting helped me get to that 85. I figured it was time to look at the swing again...

Thanks in advance!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all,

I haven't posted a swing in a while, I went out and shot 85 yesterday with this swing. I get no power (which you will obviously see) but I'm going straight consistently and chipping/putting helped me get to that 85. I figured it was time to look at the swing again...

Congrats on breaking 90!

The first thing I think you should look at is getting your weight forward properly. You fall back as you swing. Check out the 5sk drills on getting your weight forward.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hi all,

I haven't posted a swing in a while, I went out and shot 85 yesterday with this swing. I get no power (which you will obviously see) but I'm going straight consistently and chipping/putting helped me get to that 85. I figured it was time to look at the swing again...

Few reasons for the lack of power.

- Grips looks weak and palmy. Get the heel pad more on top so you can hinge the left wrist more "up" on the backswing.

- Hand depth is important on the backswing but you need to add more of the "up" portion. Right now the arms just collapses into and around your chest.

Note how in the right pic the hands/arms are working more "in front" of his chest.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thank you both for the advice and links. I did notice my backswing was more flat that anything and worked on that today and saw a difference. I also noticed my takeaway was to far inside and fixed it also. Grip is something I have been making myself concentrate on more so I need to keep focusing on that. Thanks again!
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • 2016 TST Partners

    GAME Golf
    PING Golf
    Lowest Score Wins
  • Posts

    • For those who don't know, for my actual "job," I am a professional photographer. I recently picked up a few putters from a now out-of-business company called PLOP, and they are just gorgeous putters, so I had to photograph them and I wanted to share. I was looking for a center shafted putter, as it was what I was fit into. Unfortunately I can't stand the look of center shafted putters so every one I've ever tried was just not an option. That is, until I found an old (what would be original version) of a putter my grandfather had in his bag called a PLOP. I looked up this particular brand and found that it was no longer in business, but best of all, the owner/inventor of the putter made what he calls a CSH putter, that is Center shafted hosel, but the hosel is "floated" through the heel end of the putter, still welded and attached to the center. Even better, he was selling the rest of what he had milled on Ebay, including a few special putters. So I get to look down at what is a blade style, while still having my center shafted putter. It was a downright bargain for a milled putter, too.  I have in photography what we call GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome), and sadly it translates to golf, too. I ended up buying 3 putters. One is a very wonderful black PVD finish, and the other is a nickel PVD finish that was tour-stamped, both very limited editions. I will do my best to photograph these and upload at some point, too.  In any case, I wanted to share a few of the images here. Unfortunately I can't upload the full size quality files but hopefully everyone enjoys a few of these. On a side note, golf clubs are actually extremely fun photographic subjects.  (Wasn't sure if this would fall under "clubs," but I thought it was more of a golf story/tidbit with the pictures. When I find the time to sit down and create a blog, I can put them there.) Feedback welcome, of course.   -Andrew.
    • I was about to ask what the birdie conversion rate was at the Barclays, to you know, get back on topic !
    • I have also experienced that. For whatever reason I excel at wedges in the sim. Its my full swings that dont register. I hit it hard enough for it to be loud and for the ball to hit middle of the screen but it either doesnt register or it comes back with something like dead straight but 98 yards. I had demoed a 3 hybrid and got that particular distance. I hit my 56 degree wedge that far. I often have near the same experience at the range. Only place I can hit a golf shot is on the golf course. It's ridiculous!! I mean come on, Im there, Im the one its happening to, Im present to witness it. It defies all logic!!!!! Has anyone else ever experienced such lop sided madness?!
    • It's only because, at one time, I worked with a lady from a California winery who kept referring to her Son, Pawul and her husband Gee-aw-gee-ohh! I couldn't place the accent except that I knew it was eastern. I finally asked if she was originally from Cali, and she told me she grew up in Lawn Guylund! The "G" in that accent definitely leads the second word. Maybe I'm weird, but I really like accents. I think they make the world, and it's people, more interesting. Imagine how boring the world would be if everyone sounded like a network news anchor!
    • Ah! Another mystery solved. I've seen these and kind of wondered where they came from.
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Images

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. OR Cat
      OR Cat
      (55 years old)
  • Blog Entries