IGNORED

60° Wedge, LOVE IT OR HATE IT?

Note: This thread is 5889 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. 60° Lob Wedge, Love it, Hate it, Put up with it?

• LOVE IT
    • HATE IT
    • PUT UP WITH IT

I love my 60, but as I've said in other threads, for most golfers (particularly those with double digit handicaps), it's rare that a 60 is beneficial. Usually it creates more trouble than it helps solve...

How is a 60 not benefitial for double digits? I used one since I was a 30 and it has always been my favorite club for chipping and pitching. Now I use it for everything full shots, chipping, flopping, sand, punching.

MX500 9.5* S
Burrows Golf MAC Powersphere 3W
IDEA PRO Irons
Perfect Club 21*
IDEA PRO 3HSakamoto 54* X-tour 60* Newport 2 Pro Platinum Custom

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator
How is a 60 not benefitial for double digits? I used one since I was a 30 and it has always been my favorite club for chipping and pitching. Now I use it for everything full shots, chipping, flopping, sand, punching.

I said "most" and "usually." Congratulations: you consider yourself one of the exceptions I accounted for in my post.

Again, for MOST double-digit handicappers, a 60 is a liability, not an advantage.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I played a 58* for a while but with all the bunkers we have here in north Florida I bought a 60 just to see if it would help get up and down out of the deeper bunkers by taking a little steeper swing through the ball and letting the 60* cut through and i find it helps me out. Maybe my best wedge in the bag

Driver W506 10.5* Pro Launch Red
3 Wood G5 14.5* Rifle Project X 6.0 wood
Hybrid Rapture 18* VS Proto
3-PW i506 Forged Project X 6.0
54* WG 504 Forged 60* WG 504 ForgedPutter Futura Phanton 33"Ball ZUR-S

I use my 60 degree for bunker shots and whenever I need to flop a shot in a tight situation. My only problem is that sometimes when I use it from 60-70 yards out, I tend to balloon it and drift it a bit right, when my usual shot is a slight draw.

TaylorMade R11S TP Blur 60 X
TayloreMade R11S TP Blur 70 X

Titleist 910H 21&24
Miura Tournament Blades 5-PW DGX100 Tour Issue
Cleveland CG16 52

Miura Black Wedge 56, 60
Newport 2 Teryllium Ten

Titleist ProV1x

I like to TRY and do a bunch of different shots with my Lynx 60*. I just bought a new Lamkin torsion control grip for it. Really good club for me.

Driver:TaylorMade R580 XD Stiff
3 Wood:Wilson FY-brid 15*
Hybrid:Adams A3 Boxer # 3
Irons:Titleist Square Toe 4
Irons:Callaway X-20 5-PWWedges:Adams Tight Lies GT SWPutter: Ping Anser 2Ball: Wilson Ultra or Precept Lady IQ180 or Bridgestone e6+

My favorite shot with a 60* is to place the ball back in my stance then blade it nice and low and watching it hop and stop on the green. Always gets a reaction from those I play with. It's my signature shot, that and the 6 iron punch

MX500 9.5* S
Burrows Golf MAC Powersphere 3W
IDEA PRO Irons
Perfect Club 21*
IDEA PRO 3HSakamoto 54* X-tour 60* Newport 2 Pro Platinum Custom

I use a 60 degree Cleveland 588 for most short shots, also from about 80-85 yards out.

Clubs I use the most in order:

Putter
60 degree wedge
Driver

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

I think I've gotten to the point where I'm starting to hate it. I had it down for a really long time and I was really good with it but I guess I'm struggling with accuracy with it. I'm now starting to use the PW or like a 7 iron if I have green to work with because it seems to work better to play the bump and run for me. That's just me though.
My Clubs
Driver: HiBore XL 10.5*
3-Wood: SS-01
Hybrid: 503H 22*
Irons: Deep Red II TourSand Wedge: CG10 56*Lob Wedge: CG10 60*Putter: V Foil GT M6.4KBall: ProV1

I think I've gotten to the point where I'm starting to hate it. I had it down for a really long time and I was really good with it but I guess I'm struggling with accuracy with it. I'm now starting to use the PW or like a 7 iron if I have green to work with because it seems to work better to play the bump and run for me. That's just me though.

Slowish greens?

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

I tried to use my 60* club too much in past years. I have learned to narrow the scope of its use and have had great results. I only use it when I am 25 yards and in. It is strictly a "feel" club for me. Anything between 26 and 85 yards sand wedge, and anything between 86 and 130 Gap Wedge.

EGS

910 D3 9.5* Aldila RIP S 70 g
Burner 3 wood 15 * S
Bruner Hybrid 19* S MP-60 S300 4-PW CG 14 52*/10* TP Z 56*/12* TP Z 60*/6* Studio Select Laguna 1.5

I love my 60 degree wedge. I bought the adams - tom watsomn set and these are my favorite clubs in the bag. The 60 degree wedge is my go to club within 50-80 yards from the flag.

I'm voting Love it. Just got mine on Monday (see sig.) and went out to the practice green yesterday. I hit about 100 balls of various chip and pitch distances from different lies. I obviously still need to get distances and trajectories dialed in, but the initial results were great.

Bag: Grom
Driver: HiBore 10.5° Fuji Stiff
3W: V-Steel 15° Graphite Designs YS-6 Stiff
3h-4h: Bobby Jones Stiff
5i-PW: CG4 Steel StiffWedges: 588 DSG RTG 52°, 900 RTG 56° Low bounce, Reg. 588 RTG 60°Putter: Dead CenterBalls: Pro V1 Speed Cart V1Home Courses: Riverdale Dunes / Knolls,...

ive been useing my 60* mainly out of the sand or really tight lies. i really like the club for that. other than that its the 52* for me.
In my bag:
driver: R5 dual
3wood: war bird
11wood: war bird
irons: oversize with an old Wilson PWwedges: 52*and 60*Vokeys putter: Tracyball: MoJo

Love my 60* it's my greenside sand wedge and most flexible club inside of 50 yards. Although I couldn't even imagine taking a full swing with it, longest I ever take is a 3/4, but that's the same for my 54 too. I've never thought of any wedge as a club that should be swung at even 80% at a full swing. They've always been more about feel strokes, inside 100 yards
In My Bag:

Taylormade: Superquad 9.5 Aldila VS Proto 'By You' 70-S
Sonartec: SS-07 14.0 Aldila NV 85-S
Cleveland: Halo, 3i UST Irod 83-SPing: i-10 4-UW AWT-STitleist: Vokey Design Spin Milled 54.10 & 60.08Slighter: Handstamped Tacoma, 350G in Black Satin w/Sound Slot

The more I read this the more I HATE MINE. LOL

Damn you guys that LOVE IT! I want to love mine so badly. It looks so damn good in the bag. I can't take it out!
WITB

Callaway FT-5 11°
Callaway X-HOT 15°
Sonartec HB-001 19° & 23°Callaway X-22 5-PWTitleist Vokey 200 Series 52°Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 56°Titleist Vokey Special Grind 60°Scotty Cameron Mizuno M-100

Withrew,

If you can tell me the how to get free Prov1's I can tell you how to "love" your 60*!

EGS

910 D3 9.5* Aldila RIP S 70 g
Burner 3 wood 15 * S
Bruner Hybrid 19* S MP-60 S300 4-PW CG 14 52*/10* TP Z 56*/12* TP Z 60*/6* Studio Select Laguna 1.5

I do evertyhing around the green with my 60 LW. I can flop it, run it and pitch. Actually I use it for most shots from 100yds in.

TEE - XCG6, 13º, Matrix Ozik HD6.1, stiff
Wilson Staff - Ci11, 3-SW, TX Fligthed, stiff

Odyssey - Metal X #7, 35in

Wilson Staff - FG Tour ball 

Note: This thread is 5889 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!