IGNORED

60° Wedge, LOVE IT OR HATE IT?

Note: This thread is 5898 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. 60° Lob Wedge, Love it, Hate it, Put up with it?

• LOVE IT
    • HATE IT
    • PUT UP WITH IT

What is your carry distance of the 54? The 56?

Well, I've been working on steeping my approach to the ball, short wedge shots have been pretty flat in the past. What I'm saying is, hitting the 56 with a flat swing produces high, short shot, similar to what I'd get with a 60 wedge. I really don't hit the 56 full swing, it's basically my sand and high rough (around the greens) club.

The 54 is my go to wedge, I hit full swing in the 80-85 yard area, but I prefer to only use it 75 in, so I can give it a nice smooth hack. I use my pw for anything 75 out to 110. Basically a three quarter to a full swing.

Driver: Titleist 907D1
3W: 906F2 15
5W: Cobra SZ HS
Hybrid: Cobra Baffler 21
Irons: Taylormade Rac LT2 Wedges: Vokey SM 52 + 56 Putter: Some old piece of crap

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got my 60* a few weeks ago. I am absolutely LOVING it. I bladed the hell out of the first shot I took with it in play. (I hit about 100 practice shots of all different kinds first.) But, since then, every single shot I've hit with it has been money - stuff I never could have pulled off with my 56*. Short chips (even holed one out for birdie last week); longer chips with big carry, low roll; semi-flop shots; approaches from 50 yds. and in; etc. I'm surprising myself and it's definitely shaved a couple of strokes for me.

Bag: Grom
Driver: HiBore 10.5° Fuji Stiff
3W: V-Steel 15° Graphite Designs YS-6 Stiff
3h-4h: Bobby Jones Stiff
5i-PW: CG4 Steel StiffWedges: 588 DSG RTG 52°, 900 RTG 56° Low bounce, Reg. 588 RTG 60°Putter: Dead CenterBalls: Pro V1 Speed Cart V1Home Courses: Riverdale Dunes / Knolls,...

The real answer is Yes

I love it when it working and hate it when it not. I use a low bounce 60 due the the firm conditions in my area. So it hard to get a lie that has enough grass under the ball to be able to get the wedge under the ball.

So yes I love it when it is working and hate it when it is not.

cybear

The-Bear's: OGIO Backpacks Golf Bags and Work Bags cart bag.

Driver:       ping.gif Rapture 10.5 w/stock R
Fairways:  cleveland.gif 588 14 Matrix Ozik 6Q3 R
Hybrids:   adams.gif a12os 3h-6h Grafalloy Prolanch blue 60 R

Irons:      adams.gif a12os 7-PW Grafalloy Prolanch blue 60 R
Wedges:  Hopkins Black Stain Chrome 48-08 full sole, 52-08 shelf, 56-14 channel Hopkins OTM steel W

Putter:     ping.gif  B60i IsoPur 

Ball:       callaway.gif Supersoft ball

gotta love the 58

DRIVER: R7 425 REAX STIFF
WOOD: R5 3 FW
IRONS: MP-60 4-PW
HYBRID: RESCUE MID 3 STEEL
WEDGES: MP R 52 & 58 CHROMEPUTTER: BLADEcoming soon: new woods and putter

I used to hate my 60 wedge because whenever I hit it, it digs pretty deep into the ground & I hit everything fat.

I have now learned what the club can & can't do now.

I don't hit full shots with the club ... I only use it around the green when I've short-sided myself & need to hit a lob. I only use it if the ball is sitting up and I can get underneath it ... open the club face and make sure to accelerate when striking the ball.

:)

If I can't get under the ball to hit a nice lob, I'll use my 56 degree sand wedge.

Callaway X-18 Irons | TaylorMade R5 Driver, 200 Steel 3 Wood | Cleveland Golf CG-14 Gap & Sand Wedge | Titleist Vokey Lob Wedge | Odyssey White Hot Putter | Titleist ProV1 Ball | Bushnell Pro 1600 Tournament Edition Laser Rangefinder

Let me preface my response by saying that when I get a lesson I usually spend about 20% of the time on my driver, long and mid irons with the rest devoted to short irons and wedges. When I carried a 60 I told the pro I was having some trouble hitting it and his response was to take it out of my bag and toss it to the side. No more problem. I have not carried it since and I have not missed it.

I know you hear Pelz and the other golf channel gurus trumpeting the lob wedge but golf is a game of mistakes and recovery, the idea is to minimize your mistakes. If the 60 wedge is costing you shots, junk it and find a less risky way to hit the shots you played with it.

If you have a 60* and hate it, just spend $15 and have it bent 2-3* to 57-58...you'll be better off than being pissed off at a club that cost a lot of money and only looks pretty in your bag cuz you can't use it. You can even still tell people it's 60* because it'll still say 60* on it. Your secret will be safe with me.

• 2 weeks later...
Let me preface my response by saying that when I get a lesson I usually spend about 20% of the time on my driver, long and mid irons with the rest devoted to short irons and wedges. When I carried a 60 I told the pro I was having some trouble hitting it and his response was to take it out of my bag and toss it to the side. No more problem. I have not carried it since and I have not missed it.

Amen. +1

This matches my feelings exactly. If you aren't absolutely certain that having a 60° LW is helping your game, then it probably isn't.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

gotta love the 58

yeah i like my 58, i have a 60 but recently took it out of the bag to save some weight; i don't need 3 wedges.

Usually use NXT Extreme's or HX Hot's
Soon to be Home Track : Grey Silo GC (71.5 / 128)

I used to carry a 52, 56, and 60, and would swap between the 3 depending on the course. Most time I carried the 52 and the 60. I didn't like having that large of a gap between the 2 wedges.

When I wore out my previous 52, I went to a 52/58 combination instead. I use the 58 out of the sand, and as a lob wedge. I find that I hit it more constantly from the fairway than I did my 60.

My personal opinion after watching many high handicappers come up short fairly consistently with their 60, if you don't hit it well, try a 58. Gives you the loft you need while being a bit easier to hit.
Driver: TM R7 SuperQuad 9.5*, RE*AX Stiff
3 Wood: TM R7 TP, 13*, Fujikura Stiff

Hybrids: TM Rescue Dual TPs 2, 3, and 4, Mitsubishi Diamana Stiff
Irons: 2-PW TM R7 TP, DG S300Gap Wedge: Callaway X-Tour 52*Lob Wedge: Callway X-Tour 58* PM GrindPutter: Odyssey White Steel #5Ball: Callaway HX-Tour2, 3,...

I play a 60* but am thinking about trying to get it bent to 59/58. Are vokeys able to be bent as they are not forged???
Driver Titleist 905R 9.5* (Stiff Prolaunch Blue 65g)
Hybrid: PT 585.H 17 * (Stiff titleist 75g shaft)
Irons: 695.cb 3-9 ( Dynamic Gold S300)
Wedges: 735.CM 47* PW, Vokey 200 series 50.08 Oil Can Vokey Spin Milled 54.10 Tour chrome, Vokey Spin Milled 58.08 Oil canPutter: Wilson Staff Kirk Kurrie #1[CO.....

Love it. The 60 stays in the bag most of the time, but when needed, I find it very useful.

907D2 10.5*
F60 15*
Rapture 18, 21 hybrids
S58 5-PW
Tour 52, 56, 60 degree wedges Newport 2.5 TP Black Edge bag

All depends where you play. If you play on courses with tough green complexes where you need lots of flops and really delicate shots, the more loft the better, and on these courses I like the 60*.

For more normal courses where the green complexes are less severe and challenging, I'd rather take the 60 out an add another fairway wood or hybrid.

So on the simplyer green courses, I carry 53 and 58 degree sand wedges, a putter, and 11 longer clubs. On tougher green courses, I take out either the 3W, 4W, or one of the hybrids or long irons, and go with 51, 56, and 60degree wedges.

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 months later...
I had a 60 degree and took it out of the bag about three years ago. When I bought my new irons I dropped the 3 iron, so decided to get fitted properly for a lob wedge. I'm 6'2", so my irons are an inch over length, and one degree upright. This has made a huge difference with my new Ping Tour W Wedge. I hit my old stock Cleveland wedge thin often, but my new one after being fitted is great. I spent an hour and a half on the weekend on the practice green with it hitting various shots, and it adds a lot of versatility to my game; glad I brought a 60 degree back into my bag.

Ping G 410 10.5 ˚ Driver Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 14.5˚ 3 Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 19˚ Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
i 500 irons 4-UW 1/2 inch over, blue dot, NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff Shafts
Ping Stealth Wedges Wedges  54˚ 58˚

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 34" 

Mine's coming out. I've just been hitting it terrible as of late and I now have no confidence with it. This love-hate relationship is just too distracting .

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

I have a 60 Degree Cleveland CG10 Standard Bounce which i'm very fond of. I should use it alot less then i do. I hit it good more then i hit it bad (was yesterday anyway) but im thinking it probably has too much bounce.
Im considering changing it to a Vokey Spin Milled just for the chaos and stupidity of mega spin but tossing up on the bounce.
Any suggestions on bounce?? 4 or 8??

Thanks in advance.

Note: This thread is 5898 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!