IGNORED

Sergio Garcia: Potential Hall of Famer?

ThatBeldenKid
Note: This thread is 3995 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Would you put Sergio Garcia in the Hall of Fame?

• Yes, right now
    • Only if he can win a few more tournaments
    • Only if he can win a major
    • Only if he can win multiple majors

Nyet on Sergio.  Golf is one of the few sports where you can have a hard and fast set of rules for the Hall of Fame.  I like the LPGA's point system:

LPGA Tour golfers are eligible through a point system. Since 1999, LPGA members automatically qualify for World Golf Hall of Fame membership when they meet these three criteria:

1. Must be/have been an "active" LPGA Tour member for 10 years.
  2. Must have won/been awarded at least one of the following - an LPGA major championship, the Vare Trophy or Player of the Year honors; and
  3. Must have accumulated a total of 27 points, which are awarded as follows - one point for each LPGA official tournament win, two points for each LPGA major tournament win and one point for each Vare Trophy or Rolex Player of the Year honor earned.

I'd probably make a Players/WGC event worth 1.5 points, but other than that this seems fair and would weed out a lot of riff raff

El Pato has more majors than Sergio.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think that IF he ever wins a major he will find himself in the discussion. My personal opinion is that he is all hype, mentally weak, and does not belong in the hall of fame ever.

Sergio is one of the best ball stickers, I think his nerves kills his scoring.

I don't like sergios attitude but have to admit that this 2013 players was really a go show from his part. Too bad for 17. I hope he keeps this up.

The best is him saying the hole was kind with him all the way until sunday afternoon. Found that pretty decent.

So I think with several majors he could be a hall of famer, especially if he wins over his mind problems;.

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

El Pato has more majors than Sergio.

So do the following:

Andy North, Michael Campbell, Lucas Glover, Webb Simpson, Larry Mize, Ben Curtis, Louis Oosthuizen...and a host of others - Jack Fleck, Sam Parks, Tony Manero, David Graham, Craig Stadler, Dave Marr, Bob Goalby, Tommy Aaron...and these are all just off the top of my head. There are many more I'm sure.

So where's the thread & polls for these players to get into the HOF? Their quals are better than Sergio's.

Originally Posted by ThatBeldenKid

This past weekend at the Players got me thinking about Sergio Garcia's career as a whole. Sure, he's more well known for his meltdowns and near misses than his successes on the big stages, but he's had a really fine career.

Take a look: he's got ten wins on the European tour and eight on the PGA. Among these wins are a Players Championship and an HSBC Champions. He's racked up three runner ups in majors, and he has a ton of top tens. Over the years, he's been a Ryder Cup stud. Hall of Fame voters have historically voted in guys with around twenty victories and one major. Sergio's thirty-three years old and has a ton of time on his side. The question: if he can get a major at some point in his career, would you put Sergio Garcia in the World Golf Hall of Fame?

Why is there no flat out negative in this poll ?

If your purpose is to populate the HOF with slightly above average players sure, let him in. However a career that spans in the area of 12 or 15 years and only produces 18 wins is only a little bit above average and if not for the media fame, I doubt we would even be very aware of him except in passing.  He is more famous as another gifted player who failed to live up to his talent.

Shambles

Do temper tantrums count?

He's a had a few major ones of those.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

I'm tied with Sergio for majors.
  • Upvote 2

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

He's too much in the hall of very good. Maybe if he wins a major. But right now I have him with the likes of Furyk and Duval.

Btw Freddie should not be in. The standards are too low and its spoiling what is special about the HOF. And thats across all sports.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

Originally Posted by ElWagonne

Nyet on Sergio.  Golf is one of the few sports where you can have a hard and fast set of rules for the Hall of Fame.  I like the LPGA's point system:

LPGA Tour golfers are eligible through a point system. Since 1999, LPGA members automatically qualify for World Golf Hall of Fame membership when they meet these three criteria:

Must be/have been an "active" LPGA Tour member for 10 years.

Must have won/been awarded at least one of the following - an LPGA major championship, the Vare Trophy or Player of the Year honors; and

Must have accumulated a total of 27 points, which are awarded as follows - one point for each LPGA official tournament win, two points for each LPGA major tournament win and one point for each Vare Trophy or Rolex Player of the Year honor earned.

I'd probably make a Players/WGC event worth 1.5 points, but other than that this seems fair and would weed out a lot of riff raff

And I kinda like that idea with 1 pt for win, 1.5 for Players/WGC.

Some notables with that formula:

Tiger - 101.5 pts - 14 maj...lol

Phil - 46 pts - 4 maj

VJ - 37.5 pts - 3 maj

Ernie - 24 pts - 4 maj

Love - 22 pts - 1 maj

Price - 21.5 pts - 3 maj

Freddie - 16 pts - 1 maj

Pavin - 16 pts - 1 maj

Furyk - 17 pts - 1 maj

Faldo - 15 pts - 6 maj

Sergio - 8.5 pts

Goosen - 9 pts - 2 maj

Harrington - 8 pts - 3 maj

Mcilroy - 8pts  - 2 maj

Scott - 11 pts - 1 maj

So perhaps a good rule of thumb would be either 2+ majors or 20+ plus points with competitive career for at least 10 years? Then also throw in Euro career results.

Tiger - lock

Phil - lock

VJ - lock

Ernie - lock

Love - probably

Price - in

Freddie - in, but shouldn't be

Pavin - no

Furyk - fence

Faldo - in

Sergio - no

Goosen - probably

Harrington - probably

Mcilroy - early

Scott - early

Note: This thread is 3995 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!