IGNORED

Does Shot Shape Change Distance?

Note: This thread is 3990 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Scrambled

im not too sure what you mean , iv always kept it simple ,aim body where you want the ball to start and clubface at where the ball lands

Read this: http://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/ball_flight_laws

5 Simple Keys® Associate

"Golf is not a game of great shots. It's a game of the most accurate misses.

The people who win make the smallest mistakes." - Gene Littler

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
Originally Posted by EverythingGolf

Its where the target line is, If the ball starts at the target line then curves left its a straight draw, if it starts right of the target line then curves left back to the target line then its a push draw.

I usually base the words "push" and "pull" off body alignments. You could aim 30 yards right and hit a pull-draw that, if you used the target line, you would call a "push-draw."

Know what I mean?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

wouldn't it make more sense knowing ball flight law and that the launch direction is primarily determined by the face, that the terms 'push' and 'pull' be defined by the face relative to the target at impact? Body alignment could be any number of scenarios with the same same face angle and produce the same initial start line. We can alll make slight adjustments with the left foot for example, to create 'open, square, or closed' stance lines and create the same impact alignments that would  create a ball flight  right of target with negative spin axis. I believe the terms push draw and pull slice were based off old  ball flight assumptions. Target is target regardless of where the body is pointing and the ability to hit that target or control spin axis and start line  is relative to targets relationship to the face and path.

Originally Posted by RadarNinja

wouldn't it make more sense knowing ball flight law and that the launch direction is primarily determined by the face, that the terms 'push' and 'pull' be defined by the face relative to the target at impact? Body alignment could be any number of scenarios with the same same face angle and produce the same initial start line. We can alll make slight adjustments with the left foot for example, to create 'open, square, or closed' stance lines and create the same impact alignments that would  create a ball flight  right of target with negative spin axis. I believe the terms push draw and pull slice were based off old  ball flight assumptions. Target is target regardless of where the body is pointing and the ability to hit that target or control spin axis and start line  is relative to targets relationship to the face and path.

Short answer...no.  The arch of the swing and angle of the face has nothing to do with a specific target but the movements of the arms and club relative to the body.  If I open to the target and hit is straight at the target and if I square to the target and hit it straight at the target, by your definition I would have hit the same shot, when in reality I did not.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Originally Posted by iacas

I usually base the words "push" and "pull" off body alignments. You could aim 30 yards right and hit a pull-draw that, if you used the target line, you would call a "push-draw."

Know what I mean?

I agree with you, In my example the body alignment is square to the target.

5 Simple Keys® Associate

"Golf is not a game of great shots. It's a game of the most accurate misses.

The people who win make the smallest mistakes." - Gene Littler

So how do I know where to aim club face for different types of shapes ? :-\

Read the link everythingolf posted.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

aim the clubface where you want the ball to start and adjust your swing depending on how you want the ball to curve. Swing further right than the face to create draw spin, swing further left than the face for fade spin. Easiest way is to set the face first, than step into the shot closed or open and swing along your body line.

aim the clubface where you want the ball to start and adjust your swing depending on how you want the ball to curve. Swing further right than the face to create draw spin, swing further left than the face for fade spin. Easiest way is to set the face first, than step into the shot closed or open and swing along your body line.

dont twist your hands to match the path. Align your grip with your alignment- NOT the clubface.

I don't think you understood my post. You don't need to make any hand adjustments in the swing. The  ball flight laws tell us that the ball starts mostly on the face's alignment at impact and curves away from the path the club travels on. Rather than manipulating your hands during the swing, it's easier to set up the face at the direction you want to start the ball, then adjust your set up to either get the path ( horizontal direction of the sweetspot) square to the face ( to create a straight shot and straight D-Plane) or moving right of the face ( to create a draw) or moving left of the face ( fade). The easiest way to do that, assuming your not making any major compensations in your swing, is to set the clubface first, then set your body alignment up and make a normal swing along your stance/set-up lines. If you can deliver the clubface back to impact on the same face angle as when you took your address,  you'll create the amount of 'curvature' you want based on the path the club is moving relative to where that face is pointing. This requires very little timing or hand manipulation to shape the ball flight. All this is assuming your hitting the sweetspot of the club. Many, if not most amateurs, create draw and fade ball flights accidentally because they hit the ball on either the toe or heel creating gear effect and all kinds of ball flights that don't match the swing.

Note: This thread is 3990 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!