IGNORED

Ban Belly Putters?

Note: This thread is 4176 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Should long putters (belly, chin, chest, etc.) be banned?

• Yes
    • No

Originally Posted by inthehole

You can't even put your rain cover on your bag with a long putter in it ... that alone should disqualify them.

They will have to make them like a pool cue, 2 pieces that screw together.  Caddies will love putting them together 18 times a round.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Also, I would toss that ball you are talking about underhanded, not push it sideways across my body.

I might toss the ball overhand, but likely underhand while facing the target.

Exactly. That's what Sam Snead did when they banned his croquet style. He called it sidesaddle. You can use a belly putter and either completely or three-quarters face the hole and get this same natural feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post

Quote:

Also, I would toss that ball you are talking about underhanded, not push it sideways across my body.

I might toss the ball overhand, but likely underhand while facing the target.

Exactly. That's what Sam Snead did when they banned his croquet style. He called it sidesaddle. You can use a belly putter and either completely or three-quarters face the hole and get this same natural feel.

I added something like that to my preshot routine. I stand behind my ball, facing the target, then swing one handed while visualizing the ball rolling into the cup. Sorry, off topic.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

During the first round of the PGA tour event today, one of the announcers was asked if he was okay with belly putters being anchored against the belly and his response was something like:

Quote:
This is one that I think the USGA missed.  When you anchor the putter in the belly you're taking away some of the skill of the game and...

At this point the golfer proceeded to 3-putt from about a 2-foot birdie attempt, and his thought process was cut off.  I was hoping they got into that discussion.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Well, it appears that over the long Wisconsin winter my belly has actually grown into my putter, so I guess I'm now a user of a belly putter. LOL. Unfortunately it hasn't seemed to help my scoring though.

• Upvote 1

I voted no.  There are people who can putt with anything. I used to think I was one of them until I started toying with long shafted putters in the stores. If they were easier, or even more accurate I would own one, and I don't.  (I see them used quite cheap, try them and put them back.....as does just about everyone else testing putters.)

If they were easier to use then a conventional stick they would be jumping out of the stores onto the municipal courses.   I have yet to play or even meet anyone with a long or belly stick.

The belly putter will go the way of knee putting.

Originally Posted by Mark5

The belly putter will go the way of knee putting.

You probably haven't heard, but Maria Hjorth won the Avnet LPGA Classic in Alabama this weekend, using a LONG PUTTER.

As someone on here said earlier: Long putters are the wave of the future. In a few years short putters will be as rare as long putters were five years ago. Oh, I guess that was me.

• Administrator

Originally Posted by Texian

As someone on here said earlier: Long putters are the wave of the future. In a few years short putters will be as rare as long putters were five years ago. Oh, I guess that was me.

I think that's a silly statement given how long belly and long putters have been around.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I can see it both ways; I see no real advantage of it (maybe because I couldn't drop it in a 3 foot wide hole with one).  I think it is an innovative option for golfers that want to try something different.  Certainly the technicalities could be up for debate, but to each his own!

It could be a slippery slope; what is next?

Quote:

It could be a slippery slope; what is next?

Introducing the Mouth Putter from Acme Anvil !   Dr. Wile Coyote's  research has proved that bending over and twisting your neck creates the perfect straight line pendulum stroke!  Order yours today. The first 100 orders will receive absolutely free!  Dr. Wile Coyote's book: "The Long Putter: How to increase your score with more yips."  Yipping is not just for Coyotes.....learn from the best!

Originally Posted by iacas

I think that's a silly statement given how long belly and long putters have been around.

Now here's a silly statement: "They should definitely be banned. I believe nerves and the skill of putting are part of the game."

Guess who said that.

It was Ernie Els. Guess who is or was recently using one. Ernie Els.

And here's an excerpt from a recent column by Stephanie Wei, a freelance writer who hangs around the tours.

This week at The Heritage, there were more guys than usual tinkering with belly putters. I mean, it was impossible not to notice the increase. When I walked out to the practice green on Tuesday afternoon, I almost thought I was at the Champions Tour event just 30 miles down the road. I was blown away by the number of players toying with belly putters or showing them to their peers who were inspecting them with acute curiosity.

While chatting with Mick Doran, Camilo Villegas’ caddie, about this phenomenon, Camilo suddenly swooped in to grab something from his bag. With an almost nervous laugh, he said, “I’m going to try a belly.” Huh? Mick and I both looked at him confused. Wait, are you really? He said yes. I still wasn’t sure if he was joking or not, but I should have known that Camilo isn’t exactly a comedian. Sure enough, on Wednesday Camilo played the back nine at Harbour Town with a belly putter and experienced really good results. He plans to practice with it before the round — many guys use the belly as a training aid for rhythm — and then he’ll play with his usual conventional putter.

Apparently just seeing loads of guys playing with them and hearing about how good they felt was what inspired Camilo, who says he has practiced with a belly in the past, to try it for himself. Which is how these trends start on Tour. Everywhere I turned on Tuesday, I (unfortunately) saw another player working with a belly putter.

Kevin Na, golf’s latest folk hero, had his usual conventional putter, along with a belly, with him on the practice green Tuesday afternoon. “I like to mess around with the belly putter sometimes during practice,” said Na, who has experienced some success playing with it during tournament rounds.

He also noticed their growing popularity and pointed to Adam’s great results (well, actually, just one tournament). “Adam’s been putting really well with that long putter,” said Na. “He’s obviously a good player and he can putt with anything, but it’s been really working for him.

“You know how it goes, when people start winning tournaments and they’re doing something different, then everyone’s going to try it.”

Originally Posted by Texian

Now here's a silly statement: "They should definitely be banned. I believe nerves and the skill of putting are part of the game."

Guess who said that.

It was Ernie Els. Guess who is or was recently using one. Ernie Els.

And here's an excerpt from a recent column by Stephanie Wei, a freelance writer who hangs around the tours.

This week at The Heritage, there were more guys than usual tinkering with belly putters. I mean, it was impossible not to notice the increase. When I walked out to the practice green on Tuesday afternoon, I almost thought I was at the Champions Tour event just 30 miles down the road. I was blown away by the number of players toying with belly putters or showing them to their peers who were inspecting them with acute curiosity.

While chatting with Mick Doran, Camilo Villegas’ caddie, about this phenomenon, Camilo suddenly swooped in to grab something from his bag. With an almost nervous laugh, he said, “I’m going to try a belly.” Huh? Mick and I both looked at him confused. Wait, are you really? He said yes. I still wasn’t sure if he was joking or not, but I should have known that Camilo isn’t exactly a comedian. Sure enough, on Wednesday Camilo played the back nine at Harbour Town with a belly putter and experienced really good results. He plans to practice with it before the round — many guys use the belly as a training aid for rhythm — and then he’ll play with his usual conventional putter.

Apparently just seeing loads of guys playing with them and hearing about how good they felt was what inspired Camilo, who says he has practiced with a belly in the past, to try it for himself. Which is how these trends start on Tour. Everywhere I turned on Tuesday, I (unfortunately) saw another player working with a belly putter.

Kevin Na, golf’s latest folk hero, had his usual conventional putter, along with a belly, with him on the practice green Tuesday afternoon. “I like to mess around with the belly putter sometimes during practice,” said Na, who has experienced some success playing with it during tournament rounds.

He also noticed their growing popularity and pointed to Adam’s great results (well, actually, just one tournament). “Adam’s been putting really well with that long putter,” said Na. “He’s obviously a good player and he can putt with anything, but it’s been really working for him.

“You know how it goes, when people start winning tournaments and they’re doing something different, then everyone’s going to try it.”

Access more at WeiUnderPar.com: http://www.weiunderpar.com/post/long-putters-no-longer-just-for-geezers#ixzz1LQtSkIEO

I think that you may see a few more people try it out, especially if you are looking for it, but to say that in just a few years regular length putters will be all but gone and replaced by long putters is pretty silly.  Almost as silly as that other thread where a guy bet that Tiger would win 30 majors and still thinks he can get there.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

• 9 months later...
  • Administrator

Old thread but it seemed the most appropriate:

http://www.golfworldmonday.com/golfworldmonday/20120206/?pg=11±=1&u1;=friend#pg11

Looks like the USGA is at least considering the possibility of banning long/belly putters:

Screen Shot 2012-02-06 at 12.10.37 pm.PNG

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Since I don't use a long / belly putter I'm not very concerned about the outcome, but I do find it interesting that the USGA is considering banning them while others are discussing making the holes on greens larger to make the game easier.

http://www.golfworldmonday.com/golfworldmonday/20120206/?pg=11±=1&u1;=friend#pg11

Looks like the USGA is at least considering the possibility of banning long/belly putters:

Joe Paradiso

They were also discussing this during the Phoenix Open.  I think the guy's name was Brandel Shamblee?  He alluded to some issue regarding grooves and the impact on the top 10, and that the USGA should consider a "bifurcation of the rules."  I had no idea what he was referring to, and they quickly transitioned into "the USGA has said they will NOT consider a bifurcation of the rules, but they will consider the alternative putters."

I know this is off topic, but I wish I knew what the former was referring to.  Regarding belly putters, I seriously hope they get rid of them ASAP, so that the guys who are currently using them regularly won't have been using them for 3+ years by the time it happens.  I honestly think it's ridiculous they allow them on the PGA Tour, but I've made my case on this before so I'll leave it at that.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

My understanding is the rules of golf are the same for amateurs and pro's with the exception that the pro's need to play conforming groove irons and wedges now where amateurs do not.  There's a push within the USGA to place tighter controls on golf balls to limit their flight for the pro's so existing golf courses do not have to be lengthened to host a PGA tournament.  Bifurcation (separate rules for amateurs and pro's) would enable manufacturers to produce golf balls for non-pro use that are not restricted flight. Discussions also include potentially reducing the constraints on the current driver specifications for non-pro's.  I'm guessing belly putters would also be subject to different rules depending on player status.

Originally Posted by bplewis24

They were also discussing this during the Phoenix Open.  I think the guy's name was Brandel Shamblee?  He alluded to some issue regarding grooves and the impact on the top 10, and that the USGA should consider a "bifurcation of the rules."  I had no idea what he was referring to, and they quickly transitioned into "the USGA has said they will NOT consider a bifurcation of the rules, but they will consider the alternative putters."

I know this is off topic, but I wish I knew what the former was referring to.  Regarding belly putters, I seriously hope they get rid of them ASAP, so that the guys who are currently using them regularly won't have been using them for 3+ years by the time it happens.  I honestly think it's ridiculous they allow them on the PGA Tour, but I've made my case on this before so I'll leave it at that.

Brandon

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by newtogolf

My understanding is the rules of golf are the same for amateurs and pro's with the exception that the pro's need to play conforming groove irons and wedges now where amateurs do not.  There's a push within the USGA to place tighter controls on golf balls to limit their flight for the pro's so existing golf courses do not have to be lengthened to host a PGA tournament.  Bifurcation (separate rules for amateurs and pro's) would enable manufacturers to produce golf balls for non-pro use that are not restricted flight. Discussions also include potentially reducing the constraints on the current driver specifications for non-pro's.  I'm guessing belly putters would also be subject to different rules depending on player status.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Brandon

If someone with a modern driver and low compression ball still needs more distance, that person needs to learn how to swing the club faster and hit the ball on the button. People have an enormous capacity to be useless and a longer ball / driver combo will only reset the baseline. Bad golfers will always find a way to be bad. Go back and give someone in the 1970s a decent 2012 ball and driver combination and they won't believe it when you tell them how many adult males still can't hit the ball > 200yards.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Note: This thread is 4176 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!