IGNORED

sand traps with little to no sand.

Note: This thread is 6124 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

always give me a ton of trouble. thoughts guys? take a big dirt divot, play it like a chip, still play it behind the ball but not as much.

playing in a couple city tourneys and will be playing some beat up courses. tons of deadpan lies and traps with little/no sand.

What's in the bag:

Driver: Adams 9064LS (project RIP Shaft) 9.5 degree
3 Wood: Titleist 909R 14.5 degree
Hybrid 3-iron: 19 degree Tour Professional (bent to 18 degrees)Hybrid 4-iron: 21 degree Tour ProfessionalIrons: Tour X-20 5-PW Project X 6.0 shaftsGap Wedge: Mizuno MP10 52.08 Sand Wedge: Mizuno MP10 58.10 Lob Wedge: Nike 62.06

I always make sure that the wedge in my hand is the one with the least amount of bounce on the sole. Play it back in my stance to promote a steeper angle of attack and chip it out or if I've shortsided myself, back in my stance, slight open face with a low bounce wedge.

I've skulled too many shots in my past playing in recently rained on courses. I live in a wet climate (Vancouver, British Columbia) so I have lots of experience with this.

What's In my bag:

Driver: TaylorMade R5 Dual 9.5* UST Proforce V2 77g S
3Wood: Mizuno F-60 13.5* Mizuno Exsar 75S
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 3/4 Aldila VS Proto 80SIrons: Adams Pro Forged (5-PW) True Temper Black Gold SWedges: Cleveland 588 (3) 50, 588 (DSG) 54 & 60Putter: Ping i-Series Craz-EBalls:.....

are you still hitting the same distance behind the ball as normal?

What's in the bag:

Driver: Adams 9064LS (project RIP Shaft) 9.5 degree
3 Wood: Titleist 909R 14.5 degree
Hybrid 3-iron: 19 degree Tour Professional (bent to 18 degrees)Hybrid 4-iron: 21 degree Tour ProfessionalIrons: Tour X-20 5-PW Project X 6.0 shaftsGap Wedge: Mizuno MP10 52.08 Sand Wedge: Mizuno MP10 58.10 Lob Wedge: Nike 62.06

you mean do I hit it an inch behind the ball? yes, if I think there is some sand there to be pushed into the ball and NO, if there is no sand. I try to hit the ball first just like a chip... it's a tough shot especially if your dealing with a steep faced bunker shot at which time you have alot of wrist hinge and to get the ball up fast you need to keep the club face open at and after impact.

What's In my bag:

Driver: TaylorMade R5 Dual 9.5* UST Proforce V2 77g S
3Wood: Mizuno F-60 13.5* Mizuno Exsar 75S
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 3/4 Aldila VS Proto 80SIrons: Adams Pro Forged (5-PW) True Temper Black Gold SWedges: Cleveland 588 (3) 50, 588 (DSG) 54 & 60Putter: Ping i-Series Craz-EBalls:.....

i have the same probalem with the course i play. they do a wonderful job of keeping the fairways and greens in great shape. but don't hit it into a bunker. atleast not near the green. might as well set the ball on the cart path. it has made me double and triple bogey so many times.

Driver- 580XD
3wood and 5 wood- Wal-Mart special
Irons- MX-25 4-pw
Wedges- MX-25 gw 51* 588 56*
Putter- DFX5500

i have the same probalem with the course i play. they do a wonderful job of keeping the fairways and greens in great shape. but don't hit it into a bunker. atleast not near the green. might as well set the ball on the cart path. it has made me double and triple bogey so many times.

This happens to me a lot, too - such that I got rid of my high bounce sand wedge and got it replaced with a less-bounce wedge. I don't even try to explode the ball out of a trap anymore, unless I'm practicing. I can't get the ball out reliably enough (it is either still in the trap or clear off the other side of the green), so I just chip it out. If it's buried, I'll have no choice, but the hardness of the sand usually results in a good lie and chipping's a viable option.

"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

I don't know. I use a low bounce SW no matter what the sand. With little ot no sand in the bunker, I set up with the clubface just slightly open- almost square. I swing a little softer but still hit behind the ball. I have no problems with this shot.

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

• Administrator
I have a 60.04 and a 54.10.

I'll use both depending on the combination of:
a) necessary trajectory
b) length of shot
c) condition (firmness, etc.) of sand.

Just the other day I had a mid-length shot that didn't require a ton of height but was from really firm sand. I hit the 54 because I wanted a little run, so I just made sure I didn't let the bounce skip off the sand and into the ball. I shoved down through it, accelerating the whole way. I think a lot of people bounce the club into the ball not because they had too much bounce but because they didn't accelerate through (and under) the ball.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think bounce on a wedge has more than approach. Of the couple lessons i have had with trap shots and different ones, we always practiced hard sand and compacted sand shots to that of the fairway. In this case he always said if you can walk on it and not leave more than a 1/2 of imprint play a fairway lob or pitch. The simple things help me more than complex ones. In this case the bounce on the wedge becomes the most important factor.

Driver W506 10.5* Pro Launch Red
3 Wood G5 14.5* Rifle Project X 6.0 wood
Hybrid Rapture 18* VS Proto
3-PW i506 Forged Project X 6.0
54* WG 504 Forged 60* WG 504 ForgedPutter Futura Phanton 33"Ball ZUR-S

I think bounce on a wedge has more than approach. Of the couple lessons i have had with trap shots and different ones, we always practiced hard sand and compacted sand shots to that of the fairway. In this case he always said if you can walk on it and not leave more than a 1/2 of imprint play a fairway lob or pitch. The simple things help me more than complex ones. In this case the bounce on the wedge becomes the most important factor.

huh? dayll

what dont you get???

Driver W506 10.5* Pro Launch Red
3 Wood G5 14.5* Rifle Project X 6.0 wood
Hybrid Rapture 18* VS Proto
3-PW i506 Forged Project X 6.0
54* WG 504 Forged 60* WG 504 ForgedPutter Futura Phanton 33"Ball ZUR-S

Of the couple lessons i have had with trap shots and different ones, we always practiced hard sand and compacted sand shots to that of the fairway.

--practiced hard sand and compacted sand shots to that of the fairway? what does that even mean.

did you mean that you practiced as if they were on fairway?

Note: This thread is 6124 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!