IGNORED

New all time low - I bet you haven't done this ----->

inthehole
Note: This thread is 3991 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

All normal stuff for me, except the ankle hitting thing. I've missed so many short putts this year it's not funny. Just the other day I was hitting 5 from the tee of a 151y par 3 after chunking two into the closest edge of a pond that would only be in play for someone hitting it 15 feet. I missed the green, chipped on and then 2 putts. Dang near picked it up but I had to get it in the hole. Killed me because the pond claimed 3 new Titleists in two holes. That's what pissed me off. The score was laughable.

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by JerryTimes

My worst putting moment was a 2 foot putt for birdie, not to mention that it would have been my first birdie ever, and I left it short.

Ouch.

Originally Posted by zipazoid

I've never three putted from 3 feet...

...that I can recall.

Sounds like somebody may be "misremembering."

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Sounds like somebody may be "misremembering."

Damn right I am.

Nicklaus was once quoted as saying he never missed a putt to win a tournament. Now, i bet if someone checked, he certainly did. But in his mind, he never did. If he did miss such a putt, he banished it from his memory.

So I've never three putted from 3 feet. That's my story  I'm sticking to it.

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by zipazoid

Damn right I am.

Nicklaus was once quoted as saying he never missed a putt to win a tournament. Now, i bet if someone checked, he certainly did. But in his mind, he never did. If he did miss such a putt, he banished it from his memory.

So I've never three putted from 3 feet. That's my story  I'm sticking to it.

Sounds a lot like the hypnosis mp3s I listen to. They repeat it often, to think only of the successful shots, that conviction is everything. I thought it was kind of corny at first but Annika said the exact same thing in the Go Annika feature concerning her 1st tee shot at Colonial. Just watched it last night.

Dave :-)

Originally Posted by Dave2512

Sounds a lot like the hypnosis mp3s I listen to. They repeat it often, to think only of the successful shots, that conviction is everything. I thought it was kind of corny at first but Annika said the exact same thing in the Go Annika feature concerning her 1st tee shot at Colonial. Just watched it last night.

I believe that this probably has merit in golf, whereas in most other circumstances I wouldn't subscribe to this train of thought.  But in golf, the bad swings can sit in your conscious and subconscious, haunting you and disturbing your focus.  Gotta keep those thoughts out of your head.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by bplewis24

I believe that this probably has merit in golf, whereas in most other circumstances I wouldn't subscribe to this train of thought.  But in golf, the bad swings can sit in your conscious and subconscious, haunting you and disturbing your focus.  Gotta keep those thoughts out of your head.

In order to be a good putter, you have to believe you're a good putter. I can honestly say that on virtually every putt under 20 feet, I've told myself, "I'm making this" as I get over it. It's no place for doubt.

This gets into Bob Rotella area, but I totally subscribe to it. If I've missed a bunch of putts I tell myself I'm due. If I've made a lot of putts I tell myself I'm hot - whatever it takes to be as confident as I can be.

In order to be a good putter, you have to believe you're a good putter.

Absolutely. I'd add that a healthy imagination helps too, visualization can play a pretty strong role. I've never read Dave Stockton's books but from what I've heard it sounds like the approach I have. Never read Rotella either, maybe I will.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Inthehole: Did you ever get a chance to check out the Pelz putting bible?  We talked about it in another thread about a year ago or so.  I agree mental is important, but doing the 30 minute at home exercises Pelz recommends make a huge difference.  He advertises that after doing them at home for about six months (most of them involve putting with your eyes closed to practice visualization) you'll have the inside-4-ft stroke/number of a tour pro. Im not sure its that good, but its a huge improvement to short putting.

I consider myself a very good putter, much better than my stroke game.  Yesterday I was +3 on the 13th tee.  I hit Driver, 3w into a par five and chipped to 3 1/2 feet.  Admittedly it was a really tough pin position downhill from me, but three putts later I wrote a bogey on the card.  Still thinking about it on the next tee I hook the driver into a lake.  My best chance to break 80 so far this year became an 81.

It happens to everyone no matter how much you practice or how good you are.  You just want it to happen as little often as possible.

Ouch!  I'd venture a guess that we've ALL been there and more than once.  Nothing worse than looking at a downhill 3' breaker on a slick green.  One of my usual lines on my Thursday league night is, "I'm either going to make this or 3-putt from here." Usually involves a short downhill breaking putt to a hole placed in another diabolical pin placement.  Most of the time, the putts are center of cup only for a make.  Lip out high and it's a 5-footer coming back.  Only hope on a miss is lipping out on low side which don't seem to fall as far from the hole.

Certainly agree with you that nothing will give a more slow burn than missing a 3' birdie putt and walking away with bogie.  Ouch!

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Originally Posted by dave s

Ouch!  I'd venture a guess that we've ALL been there and more than once.  Nothing worse than looking at a downhill 3' breaker on a slick green.  One of my usual lines on my Thursday league night is, "I'm either going to make this or 3-putt from here." Usually involves a short downhill breaking putt to a hole placed in another diabolical pin placement.  Most of the time, the putts are center of cup only for a make.  Lip out high and it's a 5-footer coming back.  Only hope on a miss is lipping out on low side which don't seem to fall as far from the hole.

Certainly agree with you that nothing will give a more slow burn than missing a 3' birdie putt and walking away with bogie.  Ouch!

dave

Yea, those hole locations that are right on the brink edge of were the ball would not stay at rest are nasty. You just tap them and its gone. Try this next time play a bit more break, and then hit the putt on the toe of the putter. It will kill the smash factor on the putter (yes i will use the term smash factor for a putter, there is a ratio to putter speed and ball speed, so there is a smash factor). But, i use this on really fast tricky putts. If your lightest tap is going way to far, then purposely mishit the putt on the toe, it will drop the ball speed a ton.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 3991 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!