IGNORED

Two rules questions

Motown88
Note: This thread is 3988 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Two questions, one being easy and another being fairly complicated.

First one I believe I know the answer but just want verification since this hasn't happened before with me.  My ball today landed in a man made draining ditch on top of a bunch of rocks.  What is the draining ditch ruled as?  Despite not being marked it is considered a water hazard, correct me if I am wrong.

Secondly and what I believe is more complicated is as follows:

My opponent's (I'm using that term loosly) drop location for his ball was in the same location as where my ball laid.  I verbally alerted him that I was ready to play my shot and addressed my ball.  During my swing he threw a golf ball in my direction landing a few feet from mine which resulted in me shanking my shot.  Other then him illegally dropping his golf ball (this is how he normally drops and that's another issue), what is the ruling.  His action clearly distracted me during my swing, is he penalized?  What is my next action?

No idea. Very interested to know both answers though. And what a jerk that clown you were playing with seems to be!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by sofingaw

No idea. Very interested to know both answers though. And what a jerk that clown you were playing with seems to be!

I'll defend him on that comment...It was a dumb move on his part and extremely stupid but it's never happened before.  Not sure what his thought process was but we play regularly and nothing similar has ever happened.

Originally Posted by Rulesman

The drainage ditch is a water hazard by definition. Relief under Rule 26

http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Rules-of-Golf/Rule-26/

The other is etiquette issue

http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Rules-of-Golf/Rule-33/#33-7

So is there any penalty for the second question?  Or is this something that is completely legal, kind of similar to the Tiger/Sergio senario.

Originally Posted by Motown88

So is there any penalty for the second question?  Or is this something that is completely legal, kind of similar to the Tiger/Sergio senario.

No violation of a golf rule, however issues concerning etiquette can be addressed by the committee.  Under Rule 33-7 they have the option to impose a penalty of Disqualification if they feel the action in question warrants it.  I think meeting the standard for DQ under etiquette is pretty high, however

I think because it's match play, you still would have to make a claim before anyone teed off from the next tee.  Something, like "That was bullshit, you purposely threw the ball to distract me.  I want a ruling from the committee"  Could turn into "he said, she said", however.  I'm guessing the hole would be ruled to stand as played. If he was dropping the ball incorrectly that's different, I'd make a claim on that.  That is against the rules.

Regards,

John

Originally Posted by Dormie1360

No violation of a golf rule, however issues concerning etiquette can be addressed by the committee.  Under Rule 33-7 they have the option to impose a penalty of Disqualification if they feel the action in question warrants it.  I think meeting the standard for DQ under etiquette is pretty high, however

I think because it's match play, you still would have to make a claim before anyone teed off from the next tee.  Something, like "That was bullshit, you purposely threw the ball to distract me.  I want a ruling from the committee"  Could turn into "he said, she said", however.  I'm guessing the hole would be ruled to stand as played. If he was dropping the ball incorrectly that's different, I'd make a claim on that.  That is against the rules.

It was a casual round of golf, not match play.  I used the term opponent very loosly in my first post.  The issue I have is I post my scores for handicap and while 1 stroke isn't going to change much it's still an issue of what would have happened if the ball didn't land so close to me during my swing.  My playing partner (I'll use that term to hopefully avoid confusion) also posts his for handicap.  He didn't experience any poor result from that hole whereas I did.  I guess my question is, does this incident have any impact on our scores for handicap purpose.  I assume no, but would like someone who understands the rules better then me to answer it.

As for the illegal drop, it's something he always does and I never enforce it on him or correct him.  The way I look at it is if someone wants to bend the rules and still post for handicap that's on them.  Doesn't hurt me any, well...until today!

Originally Posted by Dormie1360

Quote:

This.  Etiquette violations usually require multiple overt acts to get any action, so one incident is unlikely to get you any satisfaction.  However, if he plays a stroke after an improper drop, he incurs a penalty stroke which should get you right back in the hole.  This is one case where I would probalby just stand mute and say nothing until he has committed the breach.  This guy needs to be taught a lesson.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I guess my question is, does this incident have any impact on our scores for handicap purpose.  I assume no, but would like someone who understands the rules better then me to answer it.

You assume correct.  Distractions are a part of playing golf.  There is a decision in the rules that actually talks about this.

Regards,

John

Note: This thread is 3988 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!