• Announcements

    • iacas

      Visit FlagstickRule.com   03/13/2017

      Visit the site flagstickrule.com to read about and sign a petition for the USGA/R&A regarding the one terrible rule in the proposed "modernized" rules for 2019.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Motown88

Two rules questions

10 posts in this topic

Two questions, one being easy and another being fairly complicated.

First one I believe I know the answer but just want verification since this hasn't happened before with me.  My ball today landed in a man made draining ditch on top of a bunch of rocks.  What is the draining ditch ruled as?  Despite not being marked it is considered a water hazard, correct me if I am wrong.

Secondly and what I believe is more complicated is as follows:

My opponent's (I'm using that term loosly) drop location for his ball was in the same location as where my ball laid.  I verbally alerted him that I was ready to play my shot and addressed my ball.  During my swing he threw a golf ball in my direction landing a few feet from mine which resulted in me shanking my shot.  Other then him illegally dropping his golf ball (this is how he normally drops and that's another issue), what is the ruling.  His action clearly distracted me during my swing, is he penalized?  What is my next action?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sign up (or log in) today! It's free (and you won't see this ad anymore)!

Sign up (or log in) today! It's free (and you won't see this ad anymore)!

No idea. Very interested to know both answers though. And what a jerk that clown you were playing with seems to be!
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by sofingaw

No idea. Very interested to know both answers though. And what a jerk that clown you were playing with seems to be!

I'll defend him on that comment...It was a dumb move on his part and extremely stupid but it's never happened before.  Not sure what his thought process was but we play regularly and nothing similar has ever happened.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haha ok fair enough. Sorry I don't know what the rules say.
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Rulesman

The drainage ditch is a water hazard by definition. Relief under Rule 26

http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Rules-of-Golf/Rule-26/

The other is etiquette issue

http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Rules-of-Golf/Rule-33/#33-7

So is there any penalty for the second question?  Or is this something that is completely legal, kind of similar to the Tiger/Sergio senario.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Motown88

So is there any penalty for the second question?  Or is this something that is completely legal, kind of similar to the Tiger/Sergio senario.

No violation of a golf rule, however issues concerning etiquette can be addressed by the committee.  Under Rule 33-7 they have the option to impose a penalty of Disqualification if they feel the action in question warrants it.  I think meeting the standard for DQ under etiquette is pretty high, however

I think because it's match play, you still would have to make a claim before anyone teed off from the next tee.  Something, like "That was bullshit, you purposely threw the ball to distract me.  I want a ruling from the committee"  Could turn into "he said, she said", however.  I'm guessing the hole would be ruled to stand as played. If he was dropping the ball incorrectly that's different, I'd make a claim on that.  That is against the rules.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Dormie1360

No violation of a golf rule, however issues concerning etiquette can be addressed by the committee.  Under Rule 33-7 they have the option to impose a penalty of Disqualification if they feel the action in question warrants it.  I think meeting the standard for DQ under etiquette is pretty high, however

I think because it's match play, you still would have to make a claim before anyone teed off from the next tee.  Something, like "That was bullshit, you purposely threw the ball to distract me.  I want a ruling from the committee"  Could turn into "he said, she said", however.  I'm guessing the hole would be ruled to stand as played. If he was dropping the ball incorrectly that's different, I'd make a claim on that.  That is against the rules.

It was a casual round of golf, not match play.  I used the term opponent very loosly in my first post.  The issue I have is I post my scores for handicap and while 1 stroke isn't going to change much it's still an issue of what would have happened if the ball didn't land so close to me during my swing.  My playing partner (I'll use that term to hopefully avoid confusion) also posts his for handicap.  He didn't experience any poor result from that hole whereas I did.  I guess my question is, does this incident have any impact on our scores for handicap purpose.  I assume no, but would like someone who understands the rules better then me to answer it.

As for the illegal drop, it's something he always does and I never enforce it on him or correct him.  The way I look at it is if someone wants to bend the rules and still post for handicap that's on them.  Doesn't hurt me any, well...until today!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Dormie1360

Quote:

Originally Posted by Motown88

So is there any penalty for the second question?  Or is this something that is completely legal, kind of similar to the Tiger/Sergio senario.

No violation of a golf rule, however issues concerning etiquette can be addressed by the committee.  Under Rule 33-7 they have the option to impose a penalty of Disqualification if they feel the action in question warrants it.  I think meeting the standard for DQ under etiquette is pretty high, however

I think because it's match play, you still would have to make a claim before anyone teed off from the next tee.  Something, like "That was bullshit, you purposely threw the ball to distract me.  I want a ruling from the committee"  Could turn into "he said, she said", however.  I'm guessing the hole would be ruled to stand as played. If he was dropping the ball incorrectly that's different, I'd make a claim on that.  That is against the rules.

This.  Etiquette violations usually require multiple overt acts to get any action, so one incident is unlikely to get you any satisfaction.  However, if he plays a stroke after an improper drop, he incurs a penalty stroke which should get you right back in the hole.  This is one case where I would probalby just stand mute and say nothing until he has committed the breach.  This guy needs to be taught a lesson.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Motown88

I guess my question is, does this incident have any impact on our scores for handicap purpose.  I assume no, but would like someone who understands the rules better then me to answer it.

You assume correct.  Distractions are a part of playing golf.  There is a decision in the rules that actually talks about this.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • 2017 TST Partners

    PING Golf
    Leupold Golf
    Snell Golf
    Talamore Golf Resort
    Lowest Score Wins
  • Posts

    • Played yesterday at SGCC. 36-40-76 -2 birdies and 2 doubles (ugh), one double was a 3-putt
    • I am going to try the TP version of my old club.  It has a 390CC head.  It was only 30 bucks so I figured it couldn't hurt to see if it helps a little on the forgiveness.  I guess the game is just passing me by...I can't see myself using those gigantic drivers.  The thing I noticed is that with the smaller head, that I am more focused on hitting the sweet spot.  With the giant club it just seems like you hit it anywhere on the face.  Am I correct in thinking that a "sweet spot" is not any larger on the bigger heads?  Is it just that on off center hits there is better chance of hitting it straight?  
    • I'll keep this on the short side because some random person's Member Swing thread isn't really the place for this kind of discussion… By most I'll clarify: the vast, vast majority. I'm not talking about 53% here. That doesn't mean you were doing it right or most efficiently. You may very well have been capable of making the change - and making it more quickly - with a ball if you'd done it differently. Sounds slow. Not for everyone, but for a good chunk of people. That's not what I advocate in the above linked post, either. Generally speaking, here's what I see: You tell people to fix the move without a golf ball. They work and work and film and record, and eventually, they've got a great practice swing. You say "great, now do that with a ball" and they almost immediately and completely revert to their old swing. Simply put, what I recommend to people is: A rehearsal swing or two. Often these too are shorter, slower, simpler swings. A shorter, slower, simpler swing focusing just on the "piece" while hitting a ball. As you become proficient, the swing gets less short, less slow, and closer to the full swing. Practice at the edge of your ability, but do it with a ball. The approach there blends no-ball practice (the first bullet) but immediately ties it to a motion you make with a golf ball. If you're shanking, topping, etc. the ball too much, you're not doing it slowly, "shortly," or simply enough.
    • Shot a 41 in my match play League.  Opponent was giving me 3 strokes.  I won the match 5 to 4. 5 pars 3 bogeys 1 double Good:  Drove 6/7 fairways and the only one that I missed was by about a foot.  Hit some very good approach shots.  I had 4 birdie putts ranging from 6-25 feet.  Alas, i made none. Bad: Other than duffing 2 shots on the first hole (an easy par 5) i played pretty solid.    
    • This entirely depends on where you play. I play courses that usually have three groups and a couple of singles out per side, and I would say no, but then I get to an urban course, like Long. Island, or South Florida, and it's anger management time.  I like to watch my friends's shots, and compliment their successes, I take a couple practice swings if I am in an uneven lie, or whatever, but I am not going to spend time searching for extra balls while walking between shots, or sit and BS at the tee before shooting. For some reason I am always ready to hit first, honors or no, and I just don't get why people take so long there. As long as I can do the things I enjoy, like watching my shots and my friends shots, and take due care taking my shots and putting, I don't feel rushed, but three hours for a foursome means you have four serious golfers. My golfing is more social so that is unlikely to happen. I play with one guy who takes pace seriously, and we do fine.  If we want to pick up the pace of a group, we play best ball. Maybe the conversations on the tee are because that's where everybody gathers together for the next hole and people like to talk. I like to play golf.
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Blog Entries

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Golfgirl10543
      Golfgirl10543
      (43 years old)
    2. jkettman
      jkettman
      (28 years old)
    3. old man1953
      old man1953
      (64 years old)
  • Get Great Gear with Amazon