IGNORED

Is it within the rules to ground your club IN FRONT OF the ball?

gsu_paintballer
Note: This thread is 3986 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

One alignment tool that I started using today was to ground my club perpendicular to the impact point (essentially creating a target line), then align my body as necessary before moving the club around behind the ball.

Is this legal?

Yes, I realize it's unorthodox and weird, but it worked.

Yes.  Keep in mid that it is still considered as grounding, and all of the issues with the ball moving after grounding still apply.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Yes.  Keep in mid that it is still considered as grounding, and all of the issues with the ball moving after grounding still apply.

Thanks for your help

Definition

A player has “addressed the ball” when he has grounded his club immediately in front of or immediately behind the ball, whether or not he has taken his stance.

That's why Nicklaus said he never grounded his club. If it accidentally moved, he technically, had not addressed the ball. So, if you ground the club in front, just don't hit the ball as you move your club back over the ball.

Originally Posted by frazzled924

That's why Nicklaus said he never grounded his club. If it accidentally moved, he technically, had not addressed the ball.

So, if you ground the club in front, just don't hit the ball as you move your club back over the ball.

You may touch (but not move) the ball with your club when addressing it.

Note: This thread is 3986 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!