IGNORED

Dynamic Gold vs Rifle shafts

Note: This thread is 3344 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I just wondering what the main differences are between the Dynamic Gold S300 and the rifle 6.0 shafts are. I'm looking for a new set of irons soon and am not sure what shafts to get in them. Cheers

I would suggest testing each one. I have Rifle 6.0 shafts in my irons and absolutely love them. I think that both shafts are great so it will likely come down to personal preference.
In my bag:

Driver: FT-3 10° Diamana Blueboard 63 Stiff
Fairway: 904F 15° Purple Ice 75 Stiff
Fairway: 904F 19° YS-6+ StiffHybrid: Idea A2 20° Aldila NV 85 StiffIrons: Silver Scot Forged MB 4-PW, Rifle 6.0 ShaftsGap Wedge: Silver Scot Forged 52Sand/Lob Wedge: Vokey SM 58.12 Put...

I've played with both and I would say the main difference is kick point. The Rifles have a higher kick point and to me they feel a little stiffer. I don't care for Rifles in woods or hybrids, and usually go with S300s. I also prefer S300 for wedges but I think it's because I'm not inclined to learn a new flex profile after years of using the S300. 4-PW I do prefer Rifles. They feel a little more consistent from club to club.
In my bag:
The failed hopes and dreams of 25 years of golf (on DG S300 shafts with Lamkin Crossline midsize grips)

a rifle shaft will give you a flatter, more boring trajectory. they fit players who have issues with controlling their trajectories, someone looking to flatten out their ball flight and eliminate a ballooning result

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

OK, I pilfered this from somewhere, can't remember where, so apologies for not referencing it. But it's a good discussion and just what you are looking for....

"Dynamic Gold is a very tip and mid stiff shaft that is soft in the butt section. It is a constant weight shaft, but it is worth looking into frequency fitting for optimal results. This contributes to a low ball flight overall and is a good fit for strong high ball flight, high spin players who typically release the club very late. Although it's the number one shaft in golf, it's not a good fit for a majority of players.

Flighted Rifle is stiffer in the butt but softer in the midsection and tip than dynamic gold. They usually fit better into smooth swingers who have a mid to early release of their wrist cock and a longer smoother swing arc. The softer tip and midsection contributes to a higher ball flight overall and all things being equal, more spin due to the softer tip. These are also about 7-8 grams lighter than Dynamic Gold. The "flighting" idea of variable kick points is essentially a soft stepping of the long irons to create a softer tip so it is easier to elevate the long irons.

Project X is another animal entirely. It is a constant weight shaft that is softer in the tip than dynamic gold, but stiffer than rifle. The butt section is by far the stiffest on the market. So stiff that some people feel Project X is a "boardy" or "harsh" shaft. Because of the stiff butt and tip, Project X typically plays about a 1/2 flex stiffer than stated. It basically combines the best of both worlds, the low spin of dynamic gold with the high initial launch of the rifle. This creates a high but flat ball flight that many advanced players crave. I play Project X and absolutely love them. They also have recently come out with a set of Project X flighted which incorporates rifles flighting technology to create softer tipped long iron shafts for easier elevation. Unfortunately, it remains to be seen what the fate of Project X will be under the True Temper umbrella.

Project X High Launch is a much softer tipped version. However, the tip is so soft I feel it's nearly uncontrollable for an iron shaft and hardly ever recommend it to my customers.

Black Gold is True Temper's counter to Project X. It has a softer butt section than Project X which some people find more playable and smooth feeling. It is an outstanding product with the same ball flight as Project X, but with a smoother overall feel. I would definitely look into this offering as well.

Hopefully this gives you a starting point as to what to expect from each shaft. Before making your final decision, get to a competent clubfitter and see which shaft they believe will help match your swing and ball flight needs. Whichever shaft you choose, I would strongly consider demoing as much as possible. Also, the shaft you choose is only as good as the installation."
  • Upvote 1

Mizuno F-50 3W DS S300
Titleist 906F2 5W UST V2
Titleist 585.H 21 DG S300
Mizuno MP-FLIHI 4 DG S300
Mizuno MP-32 5-PW DG S300Mizuno MP-R 52.07 DG Wedge FlexMizuno MP-R 56.13 DG Wedge FlexTitleist Vokey Spin Milled 60.04 DG Wedge FlexScotty Cameron Studio Newport 2

• 10 months later...
Just found this thread. Great discussion.

What is the difference in the Dynamic Gold shafts? SL is superlite? Sonsicore has some sort of vibration buffer?

What's in the bag
Driver: FTI
3W: 15 Degree
2H: X
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

• Administrator
Looks like true temper owns rifle now anyway...can you say MONOPOLY?

Royal Precision was going out of business if True Temper hadn't bought 'em.

There are other steel shaft makers out there. Not the majority share, not even a big share, but Nippon and others might not like to hear that they're competing against a monopoly. Besides, it's the ABUSE of monopoly power that is problematic.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

a rifle shaft will give you a flatter, more boring trajectory. they fit players who have issues with controlling their trajectories, someone looking to flatten out their ball flight and eliminate a ballooning result

Very well stated!!!!

I've had five sets of irons...all but one have been steel shafted. The current set is by far the most accurate for me. I played with them for the first time with my father on a Myrtle Beach golf trip. It was a weekend full of laser guided iron shots...I kid you not. They are very conistent on distance control and never balloon upwards. Although I love the X-14 heads...I know the real juice behind this set has been the Rifle shafts. I'm a believer. Beware, though....If you crave towering iron shots that launch waaaayyyy up there and plummet down to the green, then these may not be for you. It was a pleasant surprise for me. I went from hitting my DCI's nine miles in the air to a consistent mid trajectory.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

• 2 years later...
Just invested in a set of the new titleist AP2 710 with the dynamic golf s300 shafts and i can't fault them truely magnificent shafts played with project x previously and found them extremely difficult to shape so for lower handicappers who like to shape the ball s300 is the way to go.

in my bag :Taylormade R9 9.5 stiff shaft
Taylormade R9 3&5 stiff shaft
Titleist AP2 S300 3 to PW
Titliest Vokey 54 degree
Taylormade 60 Degree
Odyssey Sabretooth putter

• 1 year later...

How Strange, I was sitting in my garage looking at my clubs thinking I need to dispose of some. I have 3 sets of Ping Eye 2's. A BeCu set with 5.5 rifles, a second set with Dynamic Gold 300's and the last set is original factory zz lite shafts. Just by chance I looked up the shafts and came across the discussion in the sand trap....so here's my opinion. The BeCu set with the 5.5s has a boring trajectory and soft on the hands, my favorite. The 300s are more sensitive to mishits but extremely acurate when hit on the sweet spot, they tend to balloon. The zz lites are somewhere in between, nice to hit but a little mushy. Just saying.....

I look for optimum ball flight in my irons.  Nice and high in the 7-sw and more boring in the 4-6 irons.  Whatever shaft gives me that flight I'll use.  I've always found flighted rifle shafts in my TM irons to be very decent shafts but really could never feel the kick of the shaft.  Irons I have in DG R300 I can feel the shaft kick and love the feel of them.  So mostly I play I DG R300 shafts.  I have a set of DCI's OS that have the tri step shaft in them and frankly not really sure what the tri step does or means but the kick in the shaft when swinging seems to me to be more in the tri step than any other shafts I've tried including the Memphis 10 in my Callaways.  thanks

• 2 weeks later...

i find rifle shafts are more consistant thru both swing and contact and deliver a better accuracy and very often greater distance.got my first set last year and spent hours before playing a full round getting to know them and in my opinion there well worth the change.ive knocked two shots of my handicap.some dealers let you try b4 you buy,but,give em a go.

• 8 months later...

I have Titleist 762 irons with Rifle 5.5 shafts in them that are 11 years old.  I loved these irons.  Last summer I purchased a new set of AP2's with S300 shafts in them and struggled to hit them with any consistancy at all, All of them felt so heavy in the handle/hands.  I am now looking at purchasing another set of AP's but am considering Rifle shafts in them this time.  I am thinking the Project X Flighted shafts are the ones for me.  Any comments would be helpfull?

• 1 year later...
Note: This thread is 3344 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!