IGNORED

Hunt for a new wedge set

Note: This thread is 3955 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm currently looking to purchase a new wedge set. I'm currently using an assortment of wedges consisting of 52 RAC TP z smoke, 56 forged founders club and 60 cg14 zip groove. Although the Cleveland is new I kind of regret getting it as it feels kind of chunky and not real comfortable with it just yet. I use my 52 for pretty much most my shots under 70 yards but its time to upgrade I think. I've narrowed my searches to the following: - Titleist Vokey (preferably black finish), love the esthetics and reputation, just don't love the price. - scratch wedges - Nike VR Open to other suggestions, let me know what you think! Thanks

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

I also would like to see people's opinions cause I'm doing the same. Everyone says vokeys are the way to go but are they really that good?

I'm pretty much the type that when I get a new club, whether it be a driver, wood, irons....I hit a lot of different brands. I'm not a loyalist so to speak. Except for wedges. I'd never even consider anything other than Vokey; love them that much (and just got two new ones last week). One thing I would highly recommend is getting fit by a professional to make sure you get the proper bounce. To me, that's more important than the brand.

WHAT'S IN MY BAG

Driver: TaylorMade RBZ 9.5 degree; 3-Wood: TaylorMade RBZ 15 degree; Hybrids: TaylorMade RBZ 19 degree; Irons: Titleist AP1; Wedges: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54/60; Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback; Ball: Callaway Hex Chrome+  Grips:  PURE Pro

I tried the vokeys and really liked them... Just couldn't justify the 150 per wedge price. Got some taylormade z spin wedges instead.

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

Personally I love the callaway forged,

I picked it up monday and have played 2 rounds. Im getting alot more backspin and bite then my previous wedge.

Give it a try, you would be surprised, great club!

give the mizuno's a go. lovely soft feel wedge.

I personally use the ATV wedge's i like them, but

well it must suit you. You could give them a try.

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

Personally I love the callaway forged, I picked it up monday and have played 2 rounds. Im getting alot more backspin and bite then my previous wedge.  Give it a try, you would be surprised, great club!

I just tried them out yesterday, found them to be quite heavy. The forged wedges did feel soft coming off the blade which is nice but just a tad bit too heavy. Went with the TM Z Spin wedges, they were also on sale for 2 for 125 and have pretty good reviews. Thanks for the input all.

Originally Posted by MULVn8tor

I also would like to see people's opinions cause I'm doing the same. Everyone says vokeys are the way to go but are they really that good?

Vokeys are a well engineered wedge system. Most year groups have about 18 loft/bounce combinations, plus six different sole grinds.

That said, I have tried Vokeys before, and I just don't like the feel. There are no magic golf clubs - but there are clubs that work well for you.

You might try the Adams Tom Watson wedges. These have an established design - not much change year to year - so you can get a GW, SW and LW for about $100 as a boxed set.

In Cleveland, there's the 588 Forged model from 2012, which preceded this year's 588 RTX and RTX CB (cavity back) models. The  Cle 588 Forged features 18 loft/bounce combinations, and the prices have been cut with the arrival of the RTX cousins.

Also, over a year ago Callaway reissued its Jaws model with conforming grooves. Some stores have a good mix in the racks.

Lots of wedges out there from a couple of years back - just look around.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3955 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!